Gaming Disadvantage of fake memory stick?

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tried in Ask GBATemp, but the answer given doesn't seem to be the full story so I'll ask here.

I just recently bought a PSP(so I'm a little new to this), got everything ready to go, cfw installed and all, and want to be able to have larger backups than my measly 1GB mem stick can handle. What's all this about fake memory sticks not being as good as real ones?

prowler_ said:
ThetaSigma10 said:
you gaize all hatin on fakes.

Ive had my fake 8gb for 8 months now, and no problems so far. I back up the saves, just to be safe, but seriously, it isn't bad.
Just wait until it starts to corrupt almost everything.

All I want to do is use one of those cheap MicroSD to Pro Duo adapters and some 8GB cards. Basically what I'm asking is, is a fake card as big a deal as this thread makes it out to be? I can deal with having to backup saves if that's the only problem.

Gangboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my experience with a MicroSD adapter for the PSP, I've got no problems at all. Got a 16 GB MicroSD card and all the games/saves work excellent. Using it for almost a year now.
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
In case you need to do some sort of hacking of a PSP in the future, you won't need to go out and buy a real anyways if your fake doesn't work for it. Buying a real solves that problem in advance.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you buy the right damn card in the first place, then you won't end up buying two if a situation comes along where you need a real.

I mean, considering this forum we're assuming it's going to be used for piracy anyways, so you might as well buy a legit card, it's less than the price of two games for an 8GB.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Funnily enough i have a friend who discovered the CR 5400 Photofast MicroSD adapters about a year ago and after buying one was so in love with it he sold all his pro duo's (he has a DS flashcart too). He did note that USB connections were slower, as was write speed and there was occasional issues with homebrew and lag but all in all he felt the size more than made up for it.

Last week the adapter died for no reason....he hadn't removed it, it just died. So that's a 100 hour save lost, and 14GB of data needing to be rewritten to another stick which he unfortunately no longer has. Compare that to me and my Sandisk of 3 and a half years of age.....

You're never going to be able to depend upon it as much, may have random compatibility issues, and IPL partitioning problems, and certainly may have speed issues with some plugins. Chuck in potential random failure....

Get a 4GB (or 8GB) Sandisk Ultra II and never look back.

RedBaron

Trophies
XP
Country
Go for the ridge dig you will never regret it, I finally found a place that has a good selection of Sandisk and SONY sticks at a good price, I am happy

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
With a fake memory stick or whatever, after a while you will notice that it keeps corrupting.
so all your save games will be lost and what else is on that thing.

it wont happen rigth away of course, most of the time after a long time, it depends on umm.. dunno what, your luck maybe?
unsure.gif
or the crappyness of the ones that made them i guess

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
In case you need to do some sort of hacking of a PSP in the future, you won't need to go out and buy a real anyways if your fake doesn't work for it. Buying a real solves that problem in advance.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you buy the right damn card in the first place, then you won't end up buying two if a situation comes along where you need a real.

I mean, considering this forum we're assuming it's going to be used for piracy anyways, so you might as well buy a legit card, it's less than the price of two games for an 8GB.

Well I have no intention of selling my 1GB real mem stick any time soon, so, for hacking purposes, I'm safe.

QUOTE(xist @ Nov 29 2010, 04:11 AM) Last week the adapter died for no reason....he hadn't removed it, it just died. So that's a 100 hour save lost, and 14GB of data needing to be rewritten to another stick which he unfortunately no longer has.

What died? The adapter or the MicroSDs? Or both (damn that would suck)? I won't mind just buying a new adapter every now and then considering how cheap they are.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I haven't had any issues with my cr-5400 (I've had it for over a year, if not 2)

the only problem I've had is a fake 4GB MS Pro Duo corrupting and screwing me out of a bunch of saves.

RedBaron

Trophies
XP
Country
Gangboy said:
In my experience with a MicroSD adapter for the PSP, I've got no problems at all. Got a 16 GB MicroSD card and all the games/saves work excellent. Using it for almost a year now.
smile.gif
Which MicroSD adapter are you using?

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a PhotoFast CR-5400 Dual-Slot SDHC MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter with 2x 8GB Kingston Class 4 MicroSDHC in my PSP and it has never corrupted anything or gone wrong in any way, shape or form and I've been using it for about 3-4 years.

Simply put yes it's safe, no I have no horror stories to tell you.
As long as you buy some decent Micro SDHC and not some random cheap brand that nobody has ever heard of you'll be fine.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
What sort of PSP do you have Darkway? As i said above i could never get my CR 5400 working in my launch 2000, whereas lots of people seem to have more success on the 1000 model.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
xist said:
What sort of PSP do you have Darkway? As i said above i could never get my CR 5400 working in my launch 2000, whereas lots of people seem to have more success on the 1000 model.

I have a 2000 and sometimes it doesn't read it, but all I have to do to fix that is take it out and put it back in again.

Maybe yours was a dud? (or a contact issue? I actually had to break off the little white things on the contacts so I could clean them)

edit: oh and I'm using two of those cheap 4GB noname MicroSD cards that dealextreme stocks

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xist said:

My PSP is a 1000 but I've used it in a 2000 aswell and it's a contact issue, in comparison the CR 5400 is ever so slightly thinner than a pro duo (good old paper trick, not too much or it WILL get quite stuck).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/hYkEl-3x92A?si=JSDoEc2QCDOrtimz