Disabled Search Function

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been off for awhile, I was just curious why, for most message boards, especially one that has this many forums, this is the easiest way for me to see what's going on, I just click "View new posts" and read everything that interests me. Now I have to click on individual forums, which is a bit more time consuming, but doable.

My question is was the search function disabled for flood reasons, if so, why not add a captcha for even the "view new posts" button, and if it is going to be turned back on, when?
wub.gif

EDIT: And of course AFTER I post this, I find another thread that asks the same question, of course with a nondescript title. Sorry folks. I hope it's back up and running after the Brawlnoobs get over it.

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Care to link to that topic? I'm tired of topics falling into obscurity as soon as they're brought into being because a dozen Brawl fans post replies and fill up the small new post feed on the main page :'(

Serious bump temptation

Edit: Found it here.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, but i agree how useful it is.

after a nights sleep, i like to check out a selection of posts that have been made, through the new posts button.

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because of that, i didnt come to gbatemp at all. Now that the search is back, i'm currently reading the 34 pages of new posts... thats a lot to go through!

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When will I finally be able to search topics by username? Without it, these forums are almost useless. The best I can do is modifying the user posts search results to display as topics, but it's terribly screwed up.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
When will I finally be able to search topics by username? Without it, these forums are almost useless. The best I can do is modifying the user posts search results to display as topics, but it's terribly screwed up.

Why is it useless? Topic in this forum tend to be an all around conversation so you need to read the whole topic anyway (and searching someone else posts in order to track that person down or whatever isn't really good for the forums)

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why is it useless? Topic in this forum tend to be an all around conversation so you need to read the whole topic anyway (and searching someone else posts in order to track that person down or whatever isn't really good for the forums)
You can't ask a question and return to see if it was answered without leaving "breadcrumbs" for the search function or clicking through pages of conversational posts when returning your own and hoping you'll notice the right one. Even then, you still have to click to enter the thread and go to the correct page to see if there were an answer. A proper ego search returns the listing as topis where you can easily see if the last poster was you or not. That's kinda the way forums work. GBA Temp is officially "broken" without it and damn-near useless for anything except conversational chatter. There's plenty of other places for that.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not joking at all...

I was unaware that Apollo Justice was coming out.

Since when is that a title of such magnitude that it grinds GBAtemp to a halt...
It used to be only massive releases like Pokemon Diamond and Mario Galaxy that did that, so now the site is going to struggle everytime there is a semi decent release?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not joking at all...

I was unaware that Apollo Justice was coming out.

Since when is that a title of such magnitude that it grinds GBAtemp to a halt...
It used to be only massive releases like Pokemon Diamond and Mario Galaxy that did that, so now the site is going to struggle everytime there is a semi decent release?

I was scared thinking you would laugh and say you were joking but you really didn't know. Yay. I am the bringer of good news.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Search is still screwed up for me with the default skin (only shows Google search), but I found a work-around:
Change skins
Click "Search"
Click "More Options"
Make a user search
Save the URL
Switch back to the default skin
Put the URL in your sig so you can find it easily when you return.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all