Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, new series

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Veho, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Trailer oop:

Could be fun. I would have liked the other series to get more episodes, but this version doesn't look bad.

Thoughts?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Looks like the sorts of comedies BBC2 and Channel 4/E4 routinely throw against the wall to see what sticks, just shot with higher end gear. Might give it a go when it hits though.

3. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I'm hesitant, frankly; the last series was fun but still not as clever as the books. I don't know anything about most of the people involved with this production but it seems to be a Dirk Gently show in title only, even more than the last one.

Either way, I'll give it the first couple episodes to see if it earns the name.

EDIT: Watched the first episode. Ironically, the worst part was probably the guy playing Dirk. Feels like it's trying to be wacky and crazy just for the sake of it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also seems to imply that the books are more or less within its canon, which is more than the other series did, but doesn't have much bearing on anything.

Last edited by FireEmblemGuy, Oct 23, 2016
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Never read the books, did not even know it was related to Douglas Adams until I saw the credits, but have now seen the first two episodes.

Enjoyable time filler I think I will go for. My previous comment on BBC2/Channel 4 comedies was wrong, this is closer to something like Utopia, You Me and the Apocalypse or perhaps Misfits if it were a tiny bit more surreal.

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Now that the season's over, I can safely say I enjoyed it enough that I'll probably keep watching next season. It's not flawless, and I wish someone had had the sense to just change the name - you get one or two small references to the books, but nothing about it is really Dirk Gently, and the next season actually looks like it'll shy further away from anything resembling a detective agency, holistic or otherwise. It was still fun, and the ending was better than I expected, but it's not really what I'd hoped for.