Directories and USB drive not showing up in retroarch

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this problem too. I allready try factory reset but my usb hard drive not showing up in retroarch. I try few drives exfat and ntfs...Im using latest retroarch.
did a message pop asking if you wanted to format it for xbox games or use it as a media drive? the hdd should be partition E in devmode, but D in retail.

yonasz

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
did a message pop asking if you wanted to format it for xbox games or use it as a media drive? the hdd should be partition E in devmode, but D in retail.
Yes i had messag to use it as a media drive. I can see drive in settings and i can explore it with media player/ kodi in retail Mode. In duckstation i had error 1st time but reasuming game at 2nd try

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i had messagevto use it as a media drive. I can see drive in settings and i can explore it with media player/ kodi in retail Mode. In duckstation i had error 1st time but reasuming game at 2nd try
Can you see it in Retroarch or ftp to it?

yonasz

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In retail. In dev Mode i can see hard drive in settings but when i click on details nothing there
Where i can dow retroarch 1.9.10?
Edit 1.9.10 not working as well...
Edit found solution HD must be formated to ntfs and add permition like this
You can do this on a Windows 10 / 11 PC by right clicking on the drive itself > Properties > Security tab > Advanced > Add > Select Principal > Advanced > Find Now > All App Packages > OK > tick 'Full Control' > OK > Enable Inheritance
For some reason exfat not working anymore

Last edited by yonasz,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, but games should still be bootable even without enabling inheritance, on ntfs that is. they did at least for me. what that does is increase boot speed, I believe.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this problem too. I allready try factory reset but my usb hard drive not showing up in retroarch. I try few drives exfat and ntfs...Im using latest retroarch
Where i can download retroarch 1.9.10. I try full reset again its not working
Can't be xbox formatted. You need to plug in an ntfs drive and have the xbox see it as a media drive. This is required of both dev mode and retail, if you use both like I do.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, but games should still be bootable even without enabling inheritance, on ntfs that is. they did at least for me. what that does is increase boot speed, I believe.
I think you need the permissions set so that RetroArch can execute from the USB. Without them, it falls back on copying to internal storage.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you need the permissions set so that RetroArch can execute from the USB. Without them, it falls back on copying to internal storage.
you do need to set the drive as a media drive, which is E in dev mode or D on retail. speaking of which, the ftp bug is back with dev-mod, so I can't access any folders.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you do need to set the drive as a media drive, which is E in dev mode or D on retail. speaking of which, the ftp bug is back with dev-mod, so I can't access any folders.
This worked for a while, but at least two official updates seem to have installed, breaking dev mode ftp again. Retail works fine.

Eugeniius

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm having a similar problem. I followed a guide on how to format my drive properly. I'm using a Samsung 3.0 128GB thumb drive. From 2016.

When I insert it into my xbox. It doesn't give me an option to pick media or format. But it does recognise the drive is in.

As soon as I head to retroarch, the D drive is not showing up. I've tried multiple times still the same result in Retail.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I'm having a similar problem. I followed a guide on how to format my drive properly. I'm using a Samsung 3.0 128GB thumb drive. From 2016.

When I insert it into my xbox. It doesn't give me an option to pick media or format. But it does recognise the drive is in.

As soon as I head to retroarch, the D drive is not showing up. I've tried multiple times still the same result in Retail.
Try it in dev mode. It's separate, so it will ask there as well. I think the problem is the flash drive.

Eugeniius

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try it in dev mode. It's separate, so it will ask there as well. I think the problem is the flash

I too believe that it is a problem with the flash drive. Because when I tried to use it as storage for games in the USB settings. The xbox told me that I need to use a 3.0 or better flash drive and that my flash drive isn't fast enough.

My flash drive is an early 3.0 build that I had since like 2016. I'm too lazy to set up dev mode I'm waiting to try different usbs and hope that it works

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too believe that it is a problem with the flash drive. Because when I tried to use it as storage for games in the USB settings. The xbox told me that I need to use a 3.0 or better flash drive and that my flash drive isn't fast enough.

My flash drive is an early 3.0 build that I had since like 2016. I'm too lazy to set up dev mode I'm waiting to try different usbs and hope that it works
not sure about it not letting you use it if it's 3.0, but yeah, both the series x and ps5, as well as ps4, will not let you use a drive that's slower than 3.0.

Reactions: BigOnYa

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:sad: I wish someone know about the PC Retroarch [which I have installed on it]. I'd love to try n play xBox games on my PC n cheap logitech controller :sad:
I don't know much about the xbox classic hacks, but when I compiled sm64 for Xbox, it came out as first boot iso. I think games need to be prepared, but I'm sure most on the net are already prepared.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Eugeniius

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
not sure about it not letting you use it if it's 3.0, but yeah, both the series x and ps5, as well as ps4, will not let you use a drive that's slower than 3.0.
I've just discovered something. So Basically you know that my Samsung 3.0 doesn't work right. So I tested an old SanDisk 2.0 8GB flash drive. And the D drive shown up in retroarch. This leads me to believe that the Samsung flash drive is the problem

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just discovered something. So Basically you know that my Samsung 3.0 doesn't work right. So I tested an old SanDisk 2.0 8GB flash drive. And the D drive shown up in retroarch. This leads me to believe that the Samsung flash drive is the problem
I learned something new from @GABO1423 earlier. I'll just put this here for anyone with trouble, but if you have a dev mode brick (i.e. folders showing up as empty) like I do, there's still no fix for it or understanding how or why it happens at random. however, there's a workaround using the dev portal (the one you use to install dev mode apps). there's a file manager in there, so you can copy files, one-at-a-time though. there's a way around that as well, if I understood him correctly. if you zip some files (must be zip, not 7z or rar), it will uncompress it, so you can install more than one file that way.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1