Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
irving.jpg
Irvin Kershner, George Lucas and screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan on planet Hoth​
Irvin Kershner, the director of what is arguably the best of the Star Wars films, has died at age 87.

Kershner came in to helm The Empire Strikes Back, the second Star Wars movie, after his former student George Lucas decided to skip the director's chair and focus on his producing and writing duties on the series.

He studied and worked in a wide range of the arts, from music to photography to painting, before focusing on cinema as a cinematographer, editor, writer and, of course, director. That included stints in documentaries, television, features and teaching. It was at the University of Southern California that "Kersh" -- as he was known by his friends -- encountered the young Lucas.

In a 1990 interview with StarWars.com, Kershner recalled how he came to take the Empire job.

"I finally decided, 'Why not direct this Star Wars film,'" He said. "However, I didn't know it would take me almost three years! So, I went up to see George and he took me to his office and showed me these drawings of what would later be Skywalker Ranch. He said, 'This is what this film will pay for.' He showed me drawings of the buildings, etc. But he said, 'This will only happen if Empire works.' And that was something else I … had to carry on my shoulders. I thought, 'Wow, what a dream! That's incredible!' You know, it's not like saying, 'Look, we're going to make a lot of money!' It's saying, 'We're going to build something.' And that was the difference for me. That's what hooks me every time. You know, money itself means nothing. It's what's done with it that matters."

Kershner's career was a good one before and after Star Wars, though fanboys best remember his more geeky output which included The Eyes of Laura Mars, Never Say Never Again, RoboCop 2 and episodes of seaQuest DSV.

His spirit has joined the Force now… [/p]

icon11.gif
Source (IGN)

Dang, I loved Empire Strikes Back. Best Star Wars movie ever.

D

Deleted User

The battle of Hoth scene still is one of my favourite action scenes in movies.

And especially when i was growing up.

AT ATs are just the coolest scifi ground vehicles ever!

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's too bad. RIP Mr Kershner

So much more could have been done with Star Wars, look at Star Trek, it would have been nice to see a few TV series come out of it.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SickPuppy said:
That's too bad. RIP Mr Kershner

So much more could have been done with Star Wars, look at Star Trek, it would have been nice to see a few TV series come out of it.
That would have been so cool actually.

Well, I guess there was Clone Wars, but I didn't really like that.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First Leslie Nielson, now this great man.

Soon, the only person we'll have in Media is Justin Beiber.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I really didn't get into the Clone Wars, probably because I'm older now. I was about 8 yrs old when the first Star Wars was released. I did read a lot of the Star Wars book though, and there is no end to the possibilities of a Star Wars universe.

QUOTE said:
Who's going to be the third?
Justin Beiber

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SickPuppy said:
Yea, I really didn't get into the Clone Wars, probably because I'm older now. I was about 8 yrs old when the first Star Wars was released. I did read a lot of the Star Wars book though, and there is no end to the possibilities of a Star Wars universe.
Did you happen to read "Star Wars: The last of the Jedi"? I read that, and I really enjoyed it. I don't even really like reading, but that was a good book.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself