DIOS MIOS - Works with retail discs, or not?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Yoyoenix91, Nov 24, 2012.

Nov 24, 2012
  1. Yoyoenix91
    OP

Newcomer Yoyoenix91 Member

United States
    I've tried installing DIOS MIOS 2.5 over 4 times so far, and every time I do so, I can't boot up my actual Gamecube games through the disc channel.

But somehow, I keep reading that DIOS MIOS can now support retail disc loading. People are acting like their isn't any issues with it.

Can someone help me figure this out?

2. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
  3. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Yup, that's what I downloaded. I'm trying it again, I'll keep ya posted.

4. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Okay, retail discs work all of a sudden. It boots the DIOS MIOS logo, then the game runs. That's normal, right?

Also, when I tried to load the game off of my external hard drive with CFG USB Loader, it was a black screen. Maybe I did something wrong? I have the proper version of the loader...

5. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Yeah when you load games off an external hard drive or from a disc you'll see the dios mios thing.

You didn't do anything wrong. For loading Gamecube games you'll want to use USB Loader GX for now on. CFG Usb Loader hasn't had any updates lately and GX is the only loader besides WiiFlow that gets constant updates which fixes/adds dios mios and emunand stuff. I had to switch over because CFG Usb Loader was having issues not only that but GX has more options and far better support for dios mios.

You can find the latest SVN release form the beta page http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/issues/detail?id=1769#c3015 try it out and see if that helps.

6. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Okay, I finally got it working. Apparently, DIOS MIOS doesn't like my Seagate GoFLex 1 TB HDD. I found an old flash drive, and Skies of Arcadia Legends is working on it. I have to wonder why though, since from what I read, my drive was compatible with the software...

New question. Can I load from two drives at once on USB Loader GX? So it could load both sets of games, Wii and Gamecube?

EDIT: Aaaaand now retail discs aren't loading. I didn't even do anything. What the hell.

Okay, I can always go back and forth between DIOS MIOS and the regular MIOS, but is it healthy for the Wii to go back and forth like that with the Wads and such?

7. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    I'm not sure you can load two drives at once but you can always try. Just be sure to set the dir paths to your wii or gamecube games correctly under options>paths

All I had to do with my hard drive was make sure its formatted to fat32. I think cluster size matters but I left it at default and formatted using my hard drive's format tool. The only other thing I can recommend is that you convert your games using Optimized but if that don't work try RAW. Maybe one way works better than the other with your hard drive?

Installing crap over and over does slow your wii down.. at least thats what they say. In fact thats why emunand was created because having to constantly install wads over and over can slow the Wii's Flash memory down or something like that.

Also how are you loading your retail gamecube games? through the official disc channel or through a loader?

8. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Official disc channel. It worked, then suddenly, it didn't work.

Also, is Emunand easy to set up?

9. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Try loading your discs through USB Loader GX(insert disc or select the disc icon in the top right). You gotta remember you're still using a modified ios so chances are you'll need USB Loader GX or any other loader to load your games.

Emunand is KIND OF easy to set up. There's a crap load of ways you can install it. A lot of people recommend ModMii http://modmii.zzl.org/home.html It's not hard to do but just make sure you follow a tutorial and use ModMii. Don't be worried though its as simple as clicking a few options, waiting for everything to download, put crap on your SD/USB.

10. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    DM has an annoying issue where a DM-compatible drive MUST be inserted to play GC games, even retail ones.
    Just keep a flash drive in, and don't buy Shitgate from now on.

11. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Oh wow, that worked. Thanks guys!

One last question. I had that DIOS MIOS can make some retail games freeze up. Is that true, or has that been fixed by now? I remember reading something about one of Peach's B attacks in Melee would freeze the console. :wtf:;

12. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Last I heard the biggest issue was Wind Wakers map freeze and I believe they ironed that out. So it should work just fine.

13. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Damn. Skies of Arcadia freezes whenever you enter a shop.

And I set this all up just so I could lend my friend my retail copy of the game. He better enjoy it. 8[

How often does DIOS MIOS update, at least, when it comes to fixing problems with games?

14. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I feel like a more logical title would be "Does DIOS MIOS work with retail discs?"

15. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Indeed Joostin, Indeed :P

It's updated as often as bug fixes are found or someone donates and requests something.

Always check the compatibility list when you make copies of your games because it'll help you find out if there's any issues and rather the game supports something or not(like NMM): http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List

So for Skies of Arcadia.. "Compressing the ISO causes the game to crash when entering a shop." so you'll want to use RAW or EXTRACTED mode(what I use for everything really) when making a copy.

I remember screwing up about a dozen of my games and having to re-do the whole thing because of that, it wasn't very pleasant.

16. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    official compatibility list it as working with progressive, so it's probably one of the DiscEx/GCreEx which make it freeze.
    http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/

edit: ah, already replied just above.

17. CheatFreak47
    This message by CheatFreak47 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Nov 26, 2012, Reason: double post.
    Nov 26, 2012
  18. CheatFreak47

Member CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

United States
    I wonder if it does streaming audio from retail disks.

19. LinkFan16

Member LinkFan16 I link them all

Germany
    It does. I put in a retail Wave Race Blue Storm Disc (which is a known audio streaming game) with DM 2.5 installed and the audio was there.

20. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    It does.
    I played Starfox Adventure with my retail disc using DM as MIOS and launched from USBgx.

edit:
    I should refresh the page before posting :ha:

21. Pong20302000
    This message by Pong20302000 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Nov 26, 2012, Reason: Trolling.
    Nov 26, 2012
  22. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Odd... I used USB Loader GX to install the game, I could have sworn that I turned off the compression option... I'll have to find a DiscEx tutorial.

Another question (I'm full of them):

Does anyone's Wavebird seem to have a weak signal when playing through DIOS MIOS? I tried multiple channels, but they all would lag or cut out every few seconds, after a while. Yet oddly, my retail copy of Windwaker didn't do that at all...