Hacking DIOS MIOS NMM Out of Region

Wellington2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to play a Japanese game on an NTSC console and it works perfectly, but when I go to save the game with NMM, it says it must format the card to the Japan region. It will successfully format to the correct region, but when I try and save again, it will once again ask to format to the Japan region.

Any help?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe that game is not working with NMM.
Some games are incompatible for few reasons, with different results (freeze, save but doesn't load, etc.)

Did you checked a compatibility list, or other user's report and see which settings or loader version they used?

Wellington2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the DIOS MIOS compatibility list, saving has not been tested.
The DIOS MIOS Lite compatibility list says saving was broken on r39.
I'm using DIOS MIOS. Does the compatibility change depending on whether I'm using Lite or not?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to play a Japanese game on an NTSC console

NTSC is a television standard, not a region, and indeed, Japan uses NTSC as well, so from context I assume you meant an American console.

Anyway, I forget exactly how NMM works, but you can't save Japanese and American games on the same memory card. This is true of real physical memory cards, and may be what is causing issues for you. Try to delete your NMM (BACK IT UP FIRST) and make a new one. Only use that with Japanese saves and see what happens.

Again, I don't guarantee this works, I don't know, but it's something to try.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NMM is not really a memory card emulation.
It's saving the game's save data directly as files, instead of using the card or an image of the card as binary container.

Each game has its own files and don't share them with others, and there's no memory card format (the format is FAT32, as it's stored directly on SD or USB)
That's why some games doesn't save correctly (Mario Kart Double Dash uses characters for the filename which is incompatible with FAT filesystem, so it saves but can't open it as the filename is corrupted).

Maybe that's the case here, it's trying to save the files with filename in ShiftJis, or Euc, or anything using a double char, but it doesn't save correctly on FAT?

it would require an USB gecko to check what happens when you save and compare the logged filename with the one stored on your SD or USB.

That's why Nintendont is now using a binary image of the memory card instead of NMM.

Wellington2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTSC is a television standard, not a region, and indeed, Japan uses NTSC as well, so from context I assume you meant an American console.

Yeah that's what I meant. Guess I wrote it too fast. :lol:
Maybe that's the case here, it's trying to save the files with filename in ShiftJis, or Euc, or anything using a double char, but it doesn't save correctly on FAT?

It seems to save as stats.bin and a DONKEY KONGA 3 SAVEDATA file.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The filename doesn't seem to be the problem here. it's standard ASCII.
Sorry, I don't know why you have this issue.
And Nintendont doesn't seem to work with this game (compatibility list tested with v1.21), You'll have to wait for a fix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...