Hacking Dios Mios Lite, option to have it default interlace every time?

Delirious17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My standard def tube TV with component video will go to no signal for a few seconds, then it will come up asking if I want interlace or progressive scan. Is there a way to configure it so it defaults to interlace every time?

Thank you guys for the input and always helpful advice! :D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it might depend which loader you are using.
Try forcing the video mode to interlace resolution.
instead of using "video mode AUTO", try using a "Video mode force 480i" or something like that.

I think DIOS MIOS Splash screen is always in progressive, so you'll have a little black screen on boot, but the game shouldn't ask you which one you want and always fall back to interlace.

My question is : Why are you using Component cable if your TV is NOT component compatible?
interlace can be achieves with Composite cable.
Progressive requires component cable.
If your TV has component connectors it should allow progressive display.

Some loader (like USBLoaderGX) detects if you have a Component cable connected to set the video to progressive automatically. That's odd to use component cable on an interlace TV.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Many 480i CRTs accept component signals. Component video offers an improved picture but component signals need not be 480p. In other words, progressive requires component, but component need not be progressive. In addition to 480i, component offers perhaps the best quality 240p signal for emulated retro gaming. Even if 480i is selected in Wiiflow, progressive-compatible games will always show the progressive selection screen with DIOS MIOS.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know some TV accepted component cable but without being able to output progressive signal.
It's like having an hdmi port and allowing users to connect their HDMI HD capable devices but don't output anything else than 480i
I understand that it's not mandatory to have HD output when you have HD input, but that's just a little weird. I guess it's for cost production, and providing low cost devices to the public.

About the Selector you are right.
I was thinking about the 50/60Hz (still interlace, often available in PAL games to go from 576i to 480i), not about interlace/progressive choice.
If you force the PAL 480p in the loader, the game detects 60Hz and doesn't display the 50/60Hz selection screen.
But the interlace to progressive is always displayed.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
AFAIK, relatively few 480p compatible CRTs were ever produced. Most CRT sets are limited to 480i, at least in the NTSC region. However, late production CRT models commonly have component inputs which are often used with DVD players. IMO, these 480i component input sets (like my Trinitron) are the best choice for Wii and earlier generation SD gaming, and are especially great for retro gaming for those who love scanlines.

As for the OP, I also wish that DM allowed the loader to choose 480i video mode in order to avoid the progressive screen. Another minor DM video issue is that sometimes my Wii will boot up in progressive mode after shutting down a GC game, resulting in a scrambled image. Somehow DM seems to change the Wii's system menu to 480p in the NAND. The easiest way to remedy this issue is to boot the Wii with the video cable unplugged - which allows it to boot in 480i - after which 480i can be re-selected in the system settings.

Delirious17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought, thank you!

Indeed games look great on it with component compared to composite. So many colors, so little video interference!

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know some TV accepted component cable but without being able to output progressive signal.
It's like having an hdmi port and allowing users to connect their HDMI HD capable devices but don't output anything else than 480i
I understand that it's not mandatory to have HD output when you have HD input, but that's just a little weird. I guess it's for cost production, and providing low cost devices to the public.

About the Selector you are right.
I was thinking about the 50/60Hz (still interlace, often available in PAL games to go from 576i to 480i), not about interlace/progressive choice.
If you force the PAL 480p in the loader, the game detects 60Hz and doesn't display the 50/60Hz selection screen.
But the interlace to progressive is always displayed.

You mean RGB SCART. TVs who accept component without 480p are similar to that. Nearest potential quality our mainstream sets went.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Even if it were possible to use HDMI would be better, since what is sought is to use the best transportation of the data within the signal.
With HDMI 480i would be even better because video and audio is transmitted without quantization and compression resulting in a better quality of the final image and sound. Even better than component video.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs