Homebrew Dios Mios - How to install

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a wii noob, I admit that. I hacked my wii with modmii thanks to, thanks to a friend the process was easier than I thought it would be.

Now I really would like to benefit from my wii backwards compatibility ability and to do that I appearently need to install the Dios Mios. I've looked for a proper tutorial all over the internet, and couldn't find one that would help me step by step.

Anyway, my wii is on 4.3 it was modded with modmii, I think I have a usb loader, that comes with the modmii itself, because I was able to run wii games. I also downloaded the latest Dios Mios 2.10, it has some files in it as well as DMToolbox (it is either a converter or a tool to put games in the usb device, I honestly don't know). I don't know what to do with those files. Which do I put in SD and which files do I put them into? How do I install them? I have isos but should they be converted into some other format?

PS: My usb device it fat32 with 32k clusters, so I believe that I don't need to reformat that.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Once you download Dios Mios, there should be a file called "DIOSMIOS_2.10.wad". Create a new folder on the root of your SD card named "wad". Put this file in that folder.

Download WAD manager from this link: http://dl.qj.net/down/wad-manager-v17.html.
In your SD :\apps directory create a folder named "WAD Manager". Extract the file you just downloaded to that folder.

Put the SD card in your wii and go to the Homebrew Channel. There should be something on there with the name WAD Manager. Open that. Press A once it launches. Use the D-Pad to scroll to IOS 249. If that doesn't work use another IOS. If it asks you about NAND emulation, select disabled. When it asks for a source, choose SD Card. Navigate to the wad folder we just created. Select the dios mios wad and press install. Once it finishes, exit the app.

On the DIOS MIOS downloads page, you should find something called DiscEX. Download it and extract it to a folder called DiscEX on your desktop. Take any ISO's you want to play on your Wii and put them in that folder. One by one take those ISO's and drap and drop them onto DiscEX.exe. A window should pop up each time that looks like a command prompt, and it should say something like "Copying file". Once it finishes, there will be a folder in the DiscEX folder with some letters and numbers. This is the title ID of your game, for example "GM8E01".
On your usb device create a folder named "games" and place those folders from DiscEX into this new folder.

Plug your USB device into the usb port closest to the edge of your Wii before the wii powers on. Then turn on your wii and go to your usb loader. All your games should show up there!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the "DiscEx" step is optional.
You can use the full ISO, you don't need to extract/prepare/patch/compress/whatever.
Just put your games in SD or USB, in this folder:

/games/ Game name and/or GameID HERE /game.iso

Only the red part need to be different. put the game's name as folder's name.
Do not change the filename, it MUST be named "game.iso" (the 4 letters g + a + m + e, not the game's title).
4 different examples which works:
/games/Metroid Prime/game.iso
/games/GM8E01/game.iso
/games/Metroid Prime [GM8E01]/game.iso
/games/GM8E01 Metroid Prime/game.iso

Hint: If you use both name + gameID as folder's name, it will speed up the loader's launch time.

If you have multiDisc games (like Tales of Symphonia, or Metal Gear Solid), place the second ISO in the same folder as game.iso file, and rename the second ISO : disc2.iso

Alternatively, instead of using DiscEx (which only does one thing), you can find DMToolbox on DIOS MIOS Download page, or inside the DIOS MIOS package.
This program let you do what DiscEx/GCReEx is doing, and does the folder and filename renaming for you automatically. You can choose to extract the ISO to files (DiscEx), compress the ISO (remove unused space from ISO) or rename the ISO only (raw, 1:1 ISO mode)

tahsin tariq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Cyan, I have a question.
Lets say I have a game zelda wind waker. Can the Path of the game be /games/coconut/game.iso?
I mean does it always have to be the exact game name or game ID? Can i replace the folder name with something random like "coconut"?
And lets say I have the wind waker gamecube ISO. Do I absolutely HAVE to use DM toolbox to turn the iso into the "game.iso"?
or can i just rename the gamecube ISO to game.iso without using the Dm toolbox?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
/games/coconut/game.iso:

Yes, this will work. Just not good organization.

and as said above:
If you use both name + gameID as folder's name, it will speed up the loader's launch time.
e.g. /games/Metroid Prime [GM8E01]/game.iso

DM toolbox:
No, you absolutely DO NOT have to use DM toolbox.
Unless you do not know how the folder structure above works or you are trying to squeeze every single bit out of a 1.4G iso. 1:1 iso has the highest compatibility.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The folder's name has two purpose in USBLoaderGX :

1. The Game's title part is used as Game title displayed in the loader if it's not listed in Wiitdb.xml
2. the GameID part is used to recognize/list/sort games, so if you use a random GameID, it will either :
2.1 - Match another game (at best, you will have wrong covers, at worst it will match a game you already have and will skip its display)
2.2 - Match no game at all, it will be listed as a new unknown game, without cover or info.

Providing a gameID in the folder's name prevents the loader from opening the ISO file to read the game's header to find which game is in that folder.

You can rename the ISO file yourself to "game.iso", you don't need DMToolbox or DiscEX or GCReEx or any other tools.
if you want to find the GameID, you can use gametdb.com or you can open your ISO in an hexeditor, it's the first 6 bytes.

jamie2dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, peeps, found this and having a little trouble my self! im following endoverends tutorial and for some reason its not quite working for me and think i must be going wrong somewhere to play gc backups! my wii is soft modded and can play wii backups just fine! however when following the instructions above i keep running into hurdles. ive downloaded dios mios and even though i already have a wad manager installed i stuck with the instructions and downloaded another wad manager (1.7) this would not show up in my homebrew channel! is it because i already have a wad manager? (1.5).) i went on with the instructions hoping that the wad manager i already got installed would work but when i went to chose the ios249 - select disabled - choose SD Card, it would give me an error! and when i went to chose a different ios slot my wii motes turn off as it doesnt seem to like me picking a different slot! im not too good at this but managed to get my wii backups playing fine, just the gc backups im struggling with and i really do value and appreciate your help. thank you

also couple questions, will my wii back ups still play fine when dios mios is eventually installed? i remember having to select channels 249 and think 250 originally to get the wii games to work!

thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wii games will work fine.

DIOS MIOS installs into the "MIOS" slot
It doesn't changes the content installed inside the slot 249 and 250.
What will change is the ability to play retail gamecube games.

The wad manager you downloaded (v1.7) is probably not named correctly.
Verify that it's "boot.dol", and it will appear in the homebrew channel.

when you launch it, it will ask you which IOS you want to use in order to "grant the wad manager 1.7 access to the Wii's internal memory", this is where you select the slot 236 or 249.
It doesn't mean that DIOS MIOS will install in the slot you select! It's only the slot used by the manager to function correctly.
Then, you will have to select the .wad file you want to install, select DIOS MIOS 2.10.wad and it will install into the MIOS slot of your Wii, replacing the one you currently have.

jamie2dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you cyan, i can now see the gc games in the loader! however im stuk with the black screen when i try to load one and i'm having to load from sd as it wont let me load from usb! im getting the copy to sd screen appear! my usb loader gx is updated to latest one and im pretty sure im using the right dios mios v2.10 and not the lite version! wondering if its anything to do with the gc games being ntsc? know wii games are fine no matter what the region but unsure on the gc games?

jamie2dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ah, just noticed on another thread you saying dios mios can only work upto 2.1 on revision r1180 of usb loader! this could be my problem! i guess i could get a 2.1 dios mios if i can find one! do gc games play ok on this or would you recommend i change my usb loader gx?
thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."