Hacking Dino Strike

schwarztot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just purchased Dino Strike for the Wii and want to install this to my USB and use USBLoader GX.
The game freezes every time I load from there.
When I try to run the game from the disc the system wants me to update my wii and I don't want to risk bricking it.
I am currently running a soft modded wii version 4.3U.

How can i get this game to run from USBLoader? Is there a special setting I need to tweak?

Thanks!

schwarztot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as additional info. I have installed the latest version of dx2 and have tried running the game through multiple IOS' with no luck. The game keeps freezing at the "new game" screen. Any ideas how to get this to run in either USBLoader or WiiFlow?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
As an afterthought. Would updating the wii from the disk brick the wii considering I am running 4.3U?

Yes, its possible. You should block disc updates via priiloader (which you should have installed when you modded the wii)
A general rule (as far as Ive understood) is to never install any official updates on a softmodded wii, unless there are information from other trusted hackers/wii gurus that its safe.

Edit: sorry I cant really help with your issue. Im not all that great with different IOS's etc yet :)

schwarztot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read the install info from priiloader. Is this safe to install now that I have already soft-modded my wii?
Also will installing priiloader and stopping disc updates cause this game to work through one of the USB loaders? I read a couple of places that priiloader does not apply to the USB loaders and only applies through the disc channel. I would like this to be able to run through a USB loader with my other games.
I've also tried running this through Wiiflow with the Gecko patch as well as the "Stop ISO Re-Load" to no avail. The game is still getting to the main screen and then freezes with a horrible noise.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just as additional info. I have installed the latest version of dx2 and have tried running the game through multiple IOS' with no luck. The game keeps freezing at the "new game" screen. Any ideas how to get this to run in either USBLoader or WiiFlow?
That's interesting. Just for clarity's sake: when you say "I have installed the latest version of d2x", do you mean you installed the different base IOS'es in different slots? (the list at wiiflowiki gives a bit more clarity what I mean). And did you use those slots when running the game?

(this may sound trivial, but I remember someone installing half a dozen cIOS in 249 and then not understanding why only the last one he installed was found).

Updating your wii through official means won't brick your wii*, but it will remove some of your homebrew (it probably asks to update because it detects that the stub 249 the game carries counts as a "newer" version than what you currently have in slot 249).

Installing priiloader always carries a certain risk (duh! it overwrites the system channel), but the chances are slim**. And the benefits more than make up for the small risk that only happens during the install. Priiloader has 2 hacks regarding updates: block internet updates and block disc channel updates.
I don't think that priiloader will help running your game, though. At best it'll help if the game is out-of-region for you. But fiddling with the options in USB loaders are more likely to yield result (you do have the latest versions of those programs, right?).

*there may be some exceptions (eg. when region changing is involved), but not much.
**just follow the instructions and don't try anything fancy. Installing it through MMM may not be a good idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16