Homebrew Dim the n3DS Backlight further?

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

is it possible, despite the auto dim and the 1-5 dim-scale, to dim my n3DS lower than the 1 dim setting?
Reason is, that I go crazy in a pitch black room, playing before I go to sleep :D

All the Best

Reactions: cearp

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hammer should do the trick.
Or installing Microwavehax :creep:

In all seriousness though I don't think it is. I remember hearing yells8 tried working with the 3ds leds and ended up bricking his device. I could only imagine how hard it would be to actually change the ips (or whatever they are) screens brightness to something lower then it is suppose to go.

Last edited by BurningDesire,

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it can't be dimmed, maybe a "sudo" screen dimmer could be written similar to how they're written for smart phones. Some small app or script that overlays a transparent black (tinted dark red in some cases) box over the whole screen, which can achieve a similar effect of being dimmed.

Reactions: Deleted User

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
in daylight I actually dont even care, but if I lay in bed, late at night, start the 3ds I almost get blinded :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If it can't be dimmed, maybe a "sudo" screen dimmer could be written similar to how they're written for smart phones. Some small app or script that overlays a transparent black (tinted dark red in some cases) box over the whole screen, which can achieve a similar effect of being dimmed.

But this can't be run over other apps, or?

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in daylight I actually dont even care, but if I lay in bed, late at night, start the 3ds I almost get blinded :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But this can't be run over other apps, or?
Well, for it to be actually useful, it would... It could be something as simple as taking the square root of every RGB color value before it's displayed on screen. Wouldn't solve the dark colors from being too bright, but you wouldn't be blinded by white screens anymore because they'd be nulled to gray.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Well, for it to be actually useful, it would... It could be something as simple as taking the square root of every RGB color value before it's displayed on screen. Wouldn't solve the dark colors from being too bright, but you wouldn't be blinded by white screens anymore because they'd be nulled to gray.
yeah having system wide filters would be nice, i use the 'darken' filter with retroarch (for snes games) - it works ok...
'f.lux' color temperature would be nice too

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
already got the power saving mode on :(

you guys think, a dimming overlay is something like a big deal?
i'm sure you can find some generic screen dimming protector, and cut it.
or wear sunglasses when you play. it sounds silly - but it's the easiest solution :)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i'm sure you can find some generic screen dimming protector, and cut it.
or wear sunglasses when you play. it sounds silly - but it's the easiest solution :)
or 3d glasses, so you can see 6 dimensional pictures!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: