Hacking [Dilemma] Is my SCDS-1 F***KED!?

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing FF4 and trying to enable AR code.
the filename is Final Fantasy 4.nds
i changed my AR code file to Final Fantasy 4.scc placed it in cheat folder and tried the folder where my rom is.
Still no luck.
Then i moved my Final Fantasy 4.nds file and FINALF~4.SAV to another scds. to see if i can make a backup.
as i loaded my other sd it said "Initializing Save Slot memory". WTF why can't it read my FINALF~4.SAV!!! instead it creates another one.

Now I cant even load AR code b/c of filename can't being READ and SAV file not reading properly.
What do i DO?!

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You need to name your sav. the exact name as your NDS rom, so here you would name it "Final Fantasy 4.sav" without the quotes.

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried that. No luck.
keeps giving me the "initilizing save slot" and creates another sav file

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Change the extension from .sav to .SAV please, with the caps. If you have other Final Fantasy games in there, rename their saves to their ROMs' full name and the caps the SAV extension aswell. It could be an 8.3 filename problem with the counting of multiple files starting with the same first 6 characters, I've had this issue with multiple FF or Ace Attorney games. I doubt a single game messing up like that is a sign that your SC is f*cked.

Maybe your memory is, open it in Windows and see if there are multiple FINALF~*.SAV files on the drive with the EXACT SAME name which give an error when trying to rename or delete either of them, or a single file which "clones" itself if you rename it and reappears no matter how many times it's erased, all of these point to filesystem errors and you should run chkdsk if it behaves that way.

EDIT: A very simple way to check if yar memory has filesystem issues is to run DSOrganize and use its browser to access the NDS folder(assume that's where your ROMs are) and see if it freezes for a few seconds before displaying an 'out of memory' error.

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im doing all this for the sake of using AR code on my ff4.
Since my filename is called final fantasy 4.nds
what shud i do to get my ff4.scc working with it. I enabled it and tried renaming etc yet still the cheat menu doesnt come up. any suggestion

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
List me the following: the name of your Final Fantasy ROM and any other Final Fantasy ROMs you have in that folder, along with their .scc and .sav files. Capitalization is important so be exact.

BotoxBetty

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GX255 said:
im doing all this for the sake of using AR code on my ff4.
Since my filename is called final fantasy 4.nds
what shud i do to get my ff4.scc working with it. I enabled it and tried renaming etc yet still the cheat menu doesnt come up. any suggestion

Name everything ff4.nds ff4.SAV (note the caps) and ff4.scc .. i've noticed the sc save system doesn't handle 'spaces' too well.

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
List me the following: the name of your Final Fantasy ROM and any other Final Fantasy ROMs you have in that folder, along with their .scc and .sav files. Capitalization is important so be exact.
lookdn6.jpg

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
8.3 filenames NEVER handle spaces, if your ROM is called Final Fantasy it will be named by the first 6 characters MINUS whitespaces + number, so instead of the 6 chars being F, I, N, A, L, and space they will be F, I, N, A, L, and F. It skips the spacing. If you find this whole issue to be pissing you off, like it did with me, you can try an alternate firmware which handles filenames decently, such as DSTT or YSMenu.

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh i dunno what to do, all i ever known to use was the firmware given from the scds-1 site, i just want to play my ff4, backup my save, and load ar codes. =(

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BotoxBetty said:
I also noticed that files of similar name can interfere with each other, try running it from a sperate folder.
did that, still creates a new .SAV file.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
In response to your picture, that is one heck of a mess.

Okay... first of all I want you to note. FINALF~3 does NOT mean savefile for FINAL FANTASY 3 and FINALF~4 for FF4 or so on. The numberings are given ALPHANUMERICALLY, from the first alphabetical ROM to the last. You are MISSING a FINALF~1 savefile which should be there denoting the first FF ROM! You have 3 SAVs 4 ROMs.

The main issue here is going to be figuring out which savefile belongs to which game, so I suggest backing up the FINALF~* saves before going any further.

Now rename the files as follows

FINALF~2.SAV -> Final Fantasy 3.SAV
FINALF~3.SAV -> Final Fantasy 4.SAV
FINALF~3.SAV -> Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings of Fate.SAV

and see if it works.

If it doesn't work RESTORE your savegames and rename as this

FINALF~2.SAV -> Final Fantasy 4.SAV
FINALF~4.SAV -> Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift.SAV

GX255

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
In response to your picture, that is one heck of a mess.

Okay... first of all I want you to note. FINALF~3 does NOT mean savefile for FINAL FANTASY 3 and FINALF~4 for FF4 or so on. The numberings are given ALPHANUMERICALLY, from the first alphabetical ROM to the last. You are MISSING a FINALF~1 savefile which should be there denoting the first FF ROM!

The main issue here is going to be figuring out which savefile belongs to which game, so I suggest backing up the FINALF~* saves before going any further.

Now rename the files as follows

FINALF~2.SAV -> Final Fantasy 4.SAV
FINALF~4.SAV -> Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift.SAV
and see if it works.

If it doesn't work RESTORE your savegames and rename as this
i did that, now i lost all my ff4 saves. and it keeps creating a new one. sigh i was at the final boss save too. damn

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I told you to backup before doing so, did you? You're going to have to take each SAV in part and rename it as one of the ROMs until you find out where it belongs.

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
Is it just a problem with Final Fantasy? Maybe you have a bad dump of the game?

Try formatting, that solves most of the problems I've had?

Um, I've never experienced this issue so I can't be of much assistance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol