Digital Nintendo Switch games potentially cannot be shared, locked to one console at a time

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Console_05-1.jpg

If you were hoping Nintendo had finally decided to step into the modern era of online purchases, you might be disappointed to hear that, according to a Q&A session at the NYC Nintendo World Store, digital Switch games will only be able to be played on one system at a time, and that multiple purchases will be needed to play your digital games on separate consoles. The context of this comes from a YouTuber asking Nintendo's GM of Planning and Development, Shinya Takahashi, if a Nintendo Account's digital games could be shared between two Switch consoles. The response is as follows:

Consumer: “If I want to take my system with me… if I were to buy a digital game, could I buy it once, or would I have to buy it multiple times so they can use those games?”

Takahashi: “Currently we don’t have a system like that in place for Nintendo Switch, but we haven’t made any final decisions about how we would approach that going forward in the future, so unfortunately I can’t provide any concrete answer for you right now.”

While this doesn't mean games are forever locked to a console, and you will likely be able to use a system transfer feature, this is a much less accessible way compared to how competitors Xbox, PlayStation, and Steam allow consumers to download their titles to multiple systems.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Chary,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if the Switch was rushed due to Wii U's relatively swift downfall. There's this kind of system not being in place on release day (if it will be at a later date, which it totally should), no web browser on launch, a day one update to the console. If they intend to keep that kind of lock, then dammit.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
Because they really want you to pay a monthly subscription to rent SNES roms. Why not also lock down games to a single instance so people have to buy more than one copy. Not quite sure what genius sat down and decided that THIS was where they would try to cut service costs and boost profits.

Last edited by Burlsol,

Shawnj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as I can purchase out-of-region games on one account and have them available to play on my domestic account, I'm happy.
They'll probably end up implementing a system where you can only use accounts from a specific region on certain consoles-ex, you wouldn't be able to log into a Japanese Switch with an American account.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They'll probably end up implementing a system where you can only use accounts from a specific region on certain consoles-ex, you wouldn't be able to log into a Japanese Switch with an American account.
They've confirmed this isn't the case. eShop access is account-based, not console-based.

Reactions: Prmtymethegamer

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Depending of Takahashi's final answer, it can be the final nail to the coffin. The console will sell with hardcore fan but not further.

It will end like steam's sale, waiting for a good cut on the price before buying it.

Last edited by Molina,
Reactions: Xabring

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
In other words, they still deciding. "Currently we don’t have a system like that in place for Nintendo Switch, but we haven’t made any final decisions"
or that they could implement a system like they intended to.

we need to see the context of the question as well to have a clearer vision of what he asked and answered.

Consumer: “I have kids and If I want to take my system with me… and my son or someone want to play eh, if I were to buy a digital game, could I buy it once, or would I have to buy it multiple times so they can use those games?”

we need to see what Other questions this "consumer" asked before this one to see exactly what is going on, because it's very little information.

and that thing was: "I have kids, and you know, if I want to take the system with me, and my son or someone wants to play, If I want to take my system with me… if I were to buy a digital game, could I buy it once, or would I have to buy it multiple times so they can use those games?”

He was asking if he could do something like Steam Family Sharing. NOT multiple Same game for Same account on Diferent Systems. Takahashi probably assumed that he is using his account and make his son an account too. This is Different having the same account on multiple switchs, and THUS, it's different from our assumption about Multiple Switch with the same account.

the ambiguity: he did not specified if Both Him and his kid has their Own account, but there is a High chance takahashi did assume that they had their own account since that's what Nintendo want us to do (having space for 6 accounts on 1 switch).

Last edited by Xabring, , Reason: the ambiguity: he did not specified if Both Him and his kid has their Own account, but there is a High chanse takahashi did asume that

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
They don't want to put posts on the front page if they're not theirs. How else will they get those sweet likes?
There's rules to how a post in the USN works. If you can't follow it, then you don't get your post front paged. Simple as that. Don't try to complain over nothing.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
One of the advantages of this fancy new-fangled "deegeetall" distribution was supposed to be that you can log into your account anywhere and play your games, not that they are still tied to a piece of plastic like it was with physical media. That was the tradeoff. Nintendo is still stuck on the old ways of thinking.

In other words, they still deciding. "Currently we don’t have a system like that in place for Nintendo Switch, but we haven’t made any final decisions"
Good :glare:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's rules to how a post in the USN works. If you can't follow it, then you don't get your post front paged. Simple as that. Don't try to complain over nothing.
So is it fair to say "Digital nintendo switch games cannot be shared" I mean is says we don't have a system like that but they also said is not final. So is probably could be that is possible in future it will be possible to be more like playstation/xbox.

I remember when xbox was all about that DRM stuff. "Buy xbox game, it only work on your xbox, can't resell games." E3 2013 anyone? Getting BOOOOO at E3 is new to me. I wish it happen again. Nintendo is next for that. :creep:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: