GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me exactly how much cheaper digital downloads are compared to the physical copies of games? I know that Japanese Yen prices doesn't translate to US Dollar prices, but I'm interested in how much cheaper they are in the PSN store. Recently there was the rumor of 40% off, but I don't believe that and expect somewhere between 5%-10% off at most. The reason I ask is because I might go completely digital depending on how much cheaper games really are. If games are $35 and lower I'll probably just buy 3 32GB cards and buy all my games in the PSN store.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on the games, but average 500 yen cheaper, which is probably = $5.00 cheaper in the USA even though the conversion rate is closer to 8.00

some games are 1000 yen cheaper during promotion periods (mainly Bannam games for now), which is probably $10.00 in USA PSN store, if they have a similar promotion

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably end up just going digital so I don't have to deal with Gamestop or any other stores anymore. It's always such a hassle going into stores and the employees have no idea about anything gaming related. Saving approximately $8.50 per game (assuming $5 off) will make it worth it in the long run, since I buy a lot of games.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Likely going to be $5 - $10 cheaper in the US, which I think makes up for the high memory prices. Not too bad.

I might be getting the Japanese Vita before new year and i heard that their discounts are ¥500+. Yup, previous poster mentioned. :P

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've already changed my preorder. I still have the First Edition Bundle, but I removed all games and added 2 more 32GB memory cards for a total of 3. I plan to use 1 memory card for PSP and eventually PS1 when its supported, and the other 2 solely for PS Vita games. I will also have the 4GB memory card in the bundle that I plan to use for Japanese demos since Japan usually gets games a few months in advance. Ill probably just buy $400-$500 worth of PSN cards a few days before February 15 and buy a ton of games on day 1.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would do that too but i love packages more than digital download =3
I usually prefer to go the physical copy route, but I could save a ton of money going digital, especially since I'm buying a Vita and games for my wife and daughter as well. I never thought I would go all digital for any console or handheld, but I'm going to do 100% digital on the Vita now. Seems much more convenient to take all of my games on the go with me on a 32GB memory card rather than carrying a case with my games.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're going to buy multiple Vita's, remember that Sony now has a limit of 2 consoles per game now and that VIta is locked to one account at a time.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you're going to buy multiple Vita's, remember that Sony now has a limit of 2 consoles per game now and that VIta is locked to one account at a time.
I know about the 2 system limit. I'm buying 3 PS Vita at launch and we each have our own accounts anyway. I don't mind spending money buying multiple copies of the same games, but I just don't want to end up wasting money paying more for physical copies if they're cheaper digital. If I have to buy 3 copies of Hot Shots Golf at $39.99 each + tax that comes out to $130, but 3 copies on 3 separate accounts digitally would be $105. That's a $25 savings that could be used toward more games, and since there are at least 5 games that I'm buying 3 copies of I'm saving quite a bit of money. My family is very competitive with each other so It's more likely that we will spend time playing the same game against each other rather than being able to share a single copy of a game.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't like digital copies of any game in general, unless they're games that can only be aquired online (xbox live arcade games, dsiware games, etc).. If there's a physical copy of a game, I always purchase it, mostly cuz physical copies have more value in my opinion, I've been collecting games since the snes days and it always feels good to go back one day and open the old cases just for the nostalgia. Digital copies in general, can't give that same feeling, so in my opinion even if it has a 5$ discount or even if it was more than that, I still consider the physical copies better... Same reason why I don't purchase games on steam.

Although, I guess for people that don't care about the sentimental value and only want to play the game, I guess it doesn't really make a dif.

Reactions: 1 person

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't like digital copies of any game in general, unless they're games that can only be aquired online (xbox live arcade games, dsiware games, etc).. If there's a physical copy of a game, I always purchase it, mostly cuz physical copies have more value in my opinion, I've been collecting games since the snes days and it always feels good to go back one day and open the old cases just for the nostalgia. Digital copies in general, can't give that same feeling, so in my opinion even if it has a 5$ discount or even if it was more than that, I still consider the physical copies better... Same reason why I don't purchase games on steam.

Although, I guess for people that don't care about the sentimental value and only want to play the game, I guess it doesn't really make a dif.
Well I always buy physical copies of games, but I think the Vita is the one system that I will go all digital with. I still buy physical copies of PS3 and 3DS games, but to be honest most games now don't really have the charm of classic games from the 80's and 90's, so I can't really see myself coming back to a lot of them like I would with NES or SNES games. Also I like the idea of cutting out the middle man (the stores like Gamestop) from my game purchases. As long as I keep the games stored on memory cards or backed up on my computer they should last forever.

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I always buy physical copies of games, but I think the Vita is the one system that I will go all digital with. I still buy physical copies of PS3 and 3DS games, but to be honest most games now don't really have the charm of classic games from the 80's and 90's, so I can't really see myself coming back to a lot of them like I would with NES or SNES games. Also I like the idea of cutting out the middle man (the stores like Gamestop) from my game purchases. As long as I keep the games stored on memory cards or backed up on my computer they should last forever.
I agree. I normally buy physical games, but the fact that ALL games will be available to buy digitally, in addition to the discounts, really makes it worth it for me.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree. I normally buy physical games, but the fact that ALL games will be available to buy digitally, in addition to the discounts, really makes it worth it for me.
Yeah, one thing I hate is trying to find physical copies of lesser known titles especially a year or two after they release. They become almost impossible to find other than used on e-bay or other websites. If they're on PSN they will always be there unless the developers take the game off.

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, one thing I hate is trying to find physical copies of lesser known titles especially a year or two after they release. They become almost impossible to find other than used on e-bay or other websites. If they're on PSN they will always be there unless the developers take the game off.

You can also back them up onto a rarely used ext. hdd. Witch is what I will be doing.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just cant make myself get the digital copys (though i appreciate that sony is actually doing the games day and date for 5$ less) ...but its only 5$...for 5$ more you can probably get 15~ in trade in twords another game. Also the stupidly overpriced memory sticks just make it even worse.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just cant make myself get the digital copys (though i appreciate that sony is actually doing the games day and date for 5$ less) ...but its only 5$...for 5$ more you can probably get 15~ in trade in twords another game. Also the stupidly overpriced memory sticks just make it even worse.

If you trade that is. Not everyone trades games honestly, it's something I've never done.

Also, for the record PC digitally distributed games are usually $10 cheaper than the retail console versions at launch (depending on the game, that is), so make of this what you will.

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I know about the 2 system limit. I'm buying 3 PS Vita at launch and we each have our own accounts anyway. I don't mind spending money buying multiple copies of the same games, but I just don't want to end up wasting money paying more for physical copies if they're cheaper digital. If I have to buy 3 copies of Hot Shots Golf at $39.99 each + tax that comes out to $130, but 3 copies on 3 separate accounts digitally would be $105. That's a $25 savings that could be used toward more games, and since there are at least 5 games that I'm buying 3 copies of I'm saving quite a bit of money. My family is very competitive with each other so It's more likely that we will spend time playing the same game against each other rather than being able to share a single copy of a game.

Amazon has Hot Shot golf at 29.99

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you trade that is. Not everyone trades games honestly, it's something I've never done.

Also, for the record PC digitally distributed games are usually $10 cheaper than the retail console versions at launch (depending on the game, that is), so make of this what you will.

and the people that dont tend to sell games usualy collect the physical ones anyways. Also they already have the digial prices floating around and its basically 5$ off everything so far, so im assuming thats all its going to go...and im even more sure you will be able to buy a used version of it way cheaper in a much shorter time then they will discount it digitally (its rare to see it no way overpriced on any system..excluding PC of course)

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what games that have been added to the PSN store from last week it seems like it will only be 10%.
Example: Hot Shot Golf $39.99(retail) $35.99(digital)
Uncharted Golden Abyss $49.99(retail) $44.99(digital)
Some third party titles are $34.99 apparently for digital. Maybe they'll be varied? I mean its only a dollar, but still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse