Digital Foundry's technical analysis of the PS Vita

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Jan 14, 2012.

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Read more: http://www.eurogamer...laystation-vita

Second Analog Stick
    Screen
    Battery Life
    Games
    Uncharted
    Gravity Daze
    Media Playback
    Conclusion
    Via

2 people like this.

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    All we need now is a killer software line-up. Hardware wise it sounds great.

3. Valwin
    This message by Valwin has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 9, 2016.
    Jan 14, 2012
  4. prowler
    This message by prowler has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 9, 2016.
    Jan 14, 2012
  5. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    seems like they really like it.

if it gets hacked (which people seems to be trying! lol) i may think about getting one, don't like Sony anymore so I would wait for a used one, Sony will not get any money directly from me any longer.

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I take it you've not heard of Digital Foundry, nor know of their detailed breakdown of game performance on different platforms or hardware tests? (eg. Expensive HDMI cables debunked...)

7. Foxi4
    This message by Foxi4 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 9, 2016.
    Jan 14, 2012
  8. Valwin
    This message by Valwin has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 9, 2016.
    Jan 14, 2012
  9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's a technical analysis by analysts, not some asshead's retard opinion. You've been posting editorials (with the clear intention of provoking something), this is a technical analysis with very little to provoke people. It's not saying "The PS Vita beats that piece of shit known as the 3DS", it's basically an analysis of its pros and cons by professionals in that field.

EDIT: tl;dr: It's news, deal with it.

2 people like this.
  10. Valwin
    Jan 14, 2012
  11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    If you read my post I said that you're posting editorials while this is analysis. Completely different.

12. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I'd rather have 1000 news like this one than 1 news that is not gaming related in any way in USN. Thanks mate.

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This is a pretty interesting analysis. I am really looking forward to this machine, though I'm also tempted to wait until the inevitable new version is released that will fix/lesson the nagging flaws.

14. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Wait vita can't display real HD, it has to downscale? :P I haven't took enough notice of it before.

15. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    i doubt you would even notice 720p downscaled tbh.

1080p though....

16. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Japan already has that with Tales of Innocence and Twin Brave having a digital option and Ragnarok Odessey.

17. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    because we all like weeaboo games.

2 people like this.
  18. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    They seem really impressed.

No doubt. Vita is an impressive handheld.

19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you go HD on something that can fit in your pocket, it gets to the point there the individual pixels will be indiscernable, which has drawbacks... but also very little benefit for the cost.

Anyways this sounds nice, sort of surprised to hear one of the first games is just upscaling from a lower resolution, I really wonder why that is.

20. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Frankly, I don't. If the games I get on the handheld are slightly downgraded console ports running at a lower res, smaller screen, and inferior controls, that is not a good thing. Most of my handheld use is in my house in the first place. If they can't offer the traditional handheld experience, no thanks.

That said I might get one anyway when it hits Western shores. The tech is pretty impressive.

21. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I don't own a large monitor/TV to have a real need for 1080p, so most of the digital videos that I have are already 720p or less, making this fine with me. I am somewhat concerned about this so-called "sub-qHD" native resolution, in that (some?) games aren't actually rendered at 960x544.

22. Rydian

United States
    Well it's not that uncommon of an idea, the i resolutions (720i and 1080i) do half each frame, in a scanline fashion (interlaced).

23. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    True, it isn't uncommon of an idea, but the application of that has dwindled with progressive scan and other forms. I just find the whole hype of the high resolution screen very disturbing when the GPU can't seem to natively render at that. TVs are one thing because there are so many sizes of them, so not everyone can take advantage of all the modes like 1080p, but this is a handheld that has a fixed resolution but is being said it isn't even using it fully. With the PSP, games were rendered at the resolution it had, which is 480x272. With the PSV here, games can't even render at the resolution given it.

24. Rydian

United States
    The use of the i resolutions was generally for devices that weren't powerful enough to do the P ones, which is why it's rarer now... but that was often a bandwidth issue, as the power issue depends on what's being displayed. The Vita can render 1 textured polygon @60fps at a much higher resolution than it'd have to go down to in order to render 50,000 polygons @60fps.

25. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    so can i say that its an awesome system with latest tech but needs the software to use all of its features? sounds to me like ps3 when it was launched and its position now.