Different flash memory and R4 vs M3 DS Simply

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by gabeweisz, Feb 22, 2007.

Feb 22, 2007
  1. gabeweisz
    OP

Newcomer gabeweisz Newbie

United States
    If the R4 and the M3 DS Simply are pretty much the same thing, with M3 building their firmware off of R4's, then why is it that the M3 DS Simply seems to be much better with various brands of flash than the R4 (based upon this page http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/Main_Page and others)? Any ideas?

2. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I couldn't find the flash card compatibility on the link you provided but you can be sure that the cards are the same. The only games that I have heard any slowdown or problems with are Castlvania POR, Tony Hawk Downhill Jam and Animal Crossing. Other than these three games all other games play fine on almost any microsd card. Other than the toshiba/kingston japanese 1gb card running the above three games better than the other cards I have yet to read of anyone reporting any particular cards as being inferior.

3. gabeweisz
    OP

Newcomer gabeweisz Newbie

United States
    Here is the page for the M3 http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/M3_DS_Si...patibility_list
    Here is the page for the R4
    http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list
    The card compatibility lists are at the bottom of each page.

They say that Castlevania POR will not work with the R4 but will work with the M3 with the following cards:
    A-DATA 1GB
    A-DATA Super 1GB
    A-DATA Super 2GB
    SanDisk 256MB
    SanDisk 512MB
    SanDisk 1GB
    SanDisk 2GB
    SanDisk Ultra II 1GB
    Transcend 1GB (TS1GUSD)
    Transcend 2GB (TS2GUSD)

A lot of those are cheaply available at NewEgg, which is why I ask (and since it seems impossible to tell where a kingston is manufactured from an online merchant but it makes a difference according to the list)

4. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    I can confirm A-data super 1 GB works with Castlevania POR. got it at meritline

5. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hmm, I personally don't think there's really a difference between them. The problem is the only compatibility difference between TF cards is that Castlevania PoR randomly freezes with some cards more frequently then it does with others.
    So if someone plays the game for 5 minutes and it does not freeze then this person just updates the wiki: works fine.
    If someone else knows how to improve the chance of freezing (teleporting, clicking the start button a few hundred times, something like that) and it freezes it updates the wiki: freezes with Castlevania PoR.
    I think you can think of the R4 compatibility list being more reliable...