difference of me dumping rom than official source?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by roguetrip, Sep 21, 2007.

1. roguetrip
    OP

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey all, i haven't personally tested it, but say i want to make a backup of a NDS game i have using rodulphs 3in1 backup tool, will it be the same as say a xeno release? or will it not be able to be modded or trimmed?

I ask cause if i use gbaldr to dump a GBA (Road Rash: jailbreak) game, once i transfer it and rename it, i can't trim it using GBATA. I never tried an IPS patch or a sram patch on the dump cause it used passcodes. Although playback of full dump worked fine.

TIA!!

2. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    see if you can trim the cleanrom.

3. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    It's probably overdumped. Find out the megabits of the cart, then uses GBATA's Fix Overdump option to change it.

4. roguetrip
    OP

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yep, i know that, but if i download RR:jailbreak, it can be trimmed instead of fixing the overdump. But i was really wanting to know if i dump a NDS game with rodulph's 3in1 backup tool, will it be exactly the same if i would have downloaded it. I was just trying to give an example that when GBA games get dumped its not the same.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    DS roms have the size in the header while the GBA roms do not (the overdump usually comes out as something other than 00/FF as well which is why you can not trim them).

Rudolph's tools are probably more stable than most of the "old" dumping equipment with regard to proper dumps (I do not know if you were around for the metroid prime hunters 3 days of dumps thing).

6. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

All the games i dumped using the 3in1 tool work perfectly. The only difference is how they are named when you first get them

7. Trel

Newcomer Trel Advanced Member

United States
    I did an MD5 of the official source's Pokemon Diamond vs one I dumped using the 3in1 for Slot2, and they were identical.

8. shinji257

Member shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

United States
    EDIT: oops. talking about NDS dumping. Yea. If the dump was done properly then it will come out fine. I've done a few myself using other tools however I don't see how the 3-in-1 will work any differently.