difference between Pokemon games.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by test84, Mar 17, 2007.

Mar 17, 2007
  1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    hi,
    i see lots and lots of pokemon games, on DS, GBA, NES,etc.
    whats difference between them?
    what does this Emerlad or Black mean in their title?
    is each of these a whole new game? or its the same game with different characters?
    i played Pokemon Dash (which is irrelevent to my Q), Pokemon Rangers, and another on on SNES, but each was different.
    another question is if these pokemon games are related in anyway, like chronological order or something cuz i read on Wikipedia that some are evlouted from another. does all these games follow a shared story?
    TIA guys!

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I don't think were SNES or NES pokemon games...
    The difference between most pokemon RPGs are the ability to catch different pokemon, and usually a unique legendary pokemon in each version. There is usually a different world to explore as well.

3. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    thnx for ur answer, so each game is unique and doesnt connected to previous versions? whats the Color thing? Emerlad or like this, is this name of a Legendary Pokemon? thnx.

4. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Each color is a version, and each system had a Generation of them. Each one has different Pokemon available, with later games seperating Legendaries to them. For example with the new Diamond and Pearl, you can only get my boy Houndoom is Pearl version, while Diamond holds Scyther to themselves. Each version generally has about 5-10 exclusives, I won't bother listing them all. I am going for Pearl when it comes out just because of Houndoom's exclusivity.

The original Gameboy had the Colored Generation, Red/Blue/Yellow. The original 151 included the starter favorites Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. Had the Legendary Bird Trio Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Had the Genetically Engineered beast Mewtwo, and if you went to one of those Nintendo tours they did back then you got the parent of Mewtwo's DNA, Mew.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Gameboy Color had the Metallic Generation, Gold/Silver/Crystal. Increasing the Pokemon count, it gave birth to many fan favorites including my boy Houndoom, a Dark/Fire type. This generation introduced two new types into the fray, Dark and Steel. The starters are popular but not used pretty much and are the most uncommon of the starters you'll see now adays, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile. The Trio of this generation were the Dogs/Cats/Gerbils, Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. The guardian of the Legendary Bird Trio, Lugia, was also available as well as I believe the supposed creator of the Legendary Dogs, Ho-oh. I believe Nintendo never gave out Celebi, this generation's Mew.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

For the Gameboy Advanced we had the Jewel Generation, consisting of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Emerald, until Diamond/Pearl come out, is the most played one currently with the most features and Pokemon count. The starters are the commonly used Treeko, Torchic, and Mudkip. For the Ruby version, you had to battle the Legendary Pokemon Groudon, the creator of all the land. Sapphire version got to battle Kyogre, the creator of the sea. In Emerald you had the ability to battle/capture both of them. Also featured was the Guardian of the Skies, Rayquaza. The Legendary Trio consisted of the Regis, Regice, Registeel, and Regirock. The Wish Maker Pokemon, Jirachi, is available to those who preordered Pokemon Colosseum for the Gamecube years back, and Nintendo recently did a tour around the country for Deoxys. Also for the Gameboy Advance were remakes of the original Colored Generation, Fire Red and Leaf Green, so you could get the previous Generation Pokemon for the newer gamers.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now we are at the most current one, being released in North America on April 22nd of this year; Diamond and Pearl for the Nintendo DS. With yet another boost to the Pokemon count, up to a total of 493, this is the version to get. Every Pokemon from all the previous generations is available in one way or another except for the previous starters and legendaries, so the amount of Pokemon available is staggering. Featuring the starters Turtwig, Piplup, and Chimchar, and the most Legendaries to date, this is the version to get. And of course, Wifi support. Battling and Trading online.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

For now I recommend checking out Emerald version until Diamond/Pearl come stateside.
    If you have a DS, pick up Diamond or Pearl versions

5. Mikkie

Newcomer Mikkie Member

Sweden
    well basically, the first pokemon games were pokemon red and blue (+green in japan), these are all the same game with small differences like catchable pokemon and other stuff, basically these 3 games make up the 1st generation pokemon games (yellow was added later with some special features like being able to get all 3 starter pokemon)

the second generation consists of Gold/Silver which is a new game that is on another continent, which means new pokemon also. eventually there was a special edition there also called Crystal which made it possible to get the 3 starters and had some special stuff only available for that version also.

3rd gen is Ruby/sapphire and Emerald as the special version, the setting is on another continent also which means, yes even more pokemon. at this time the old Red/blue was remade for GBA also so we got Fire Red and Leaf Green.

4th gen is the new and upcoming NDS games, Diamond/Pearl, new continent, new pokemon and so on...

and no there is no chronologial way to play them, each generation features different heroes and foes like team rocket, magma, aqua and so on, though some pokemon are exclusive to a certain version and you can't get them unless you trade or use actionreplay basically... or of course.. get the other game also [​IMG]

6. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Just to add on to Mikkie's comment, there is absolutely no reason to play the Colored or Metallic Generation games at this point if you have atleast a GBA. The GBA games feature connectivity and the ability to link to the new DS games, so those are still played even today.

7. Mikkie

Newcomer Mikkie Member

Sweden
    Indeed, if you're not a hardcore fan of course [​IMG] also since the 3rd gen games have both the Ruby/sapphire/emerald games and the remakes of the first gen games Fire red/leaf green you have a almost complete collection of the pokemon's available to this date between those games, the only reason I could see for playing the metallic 2nd gen is that it is another game entirely and that it was never remade for GBA

8. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Pokemon Blue, red, and yellow were in Kanto (the original region, with 150 pokemon)
    pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal were in Johto (the first 200 pokemon)
    pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were in Hoenn (200 pokemon, some old some new pokemon)
    Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green: GBA remakes of of Blue and red. Updates such as COLOR, umm... water reflections, etc.

9. e_man

Newcomer e_man Advanced Member

Sweden
    hmm in the new ds games, are you able to get the first 150 pokemons somehow? cause you cant trade them. or do you use gba-ds transfer in the same pack?

10. Robert Pleban

Newcomer Robert Pleban Newbie

United Kingdom
    I read you can transfer from the gba cart in slot 2, but only so many a day

11. slvrdrgn123

Member slvrdrgn123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What Generation will the DS be?