Gaming Difference between HW and SW mod

g4med4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning to get a PSP and have been looking at various methods of loading homebrew on it.

I did looked into this a long time ago and modding the PSP requires installing a modchip. All I could find nowadays are guides on installing the custom firmware.

What are the differences between using a modchip and custom firmware besides the obvious need of opening the PSP?

Also, if the PSP that I'll get have 'IC1003' which is the 'TA-082' motherboard as I've read, does that mean the PSP cannot install any custom firmware?

Jasonage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have been greatly misinformed. All you need is a pandora battery, and a memory stick over 512mb

I'd suggest this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12710

You can find guides online how to downgrade using this, but if you would like any extra help PM me.

Good luck!

As for the TA-082 motherboard, I hear dit was hackable, but you might want to do a bit of searching round first

g4med4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for confirming the custom firmware route. I was really hoping to not have to go the mod-chip route, seems very risky.
smile.gif

Do I need a separate memory stick to hold the games/apps that the PSP will use?

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
g4med4d said:
Thanks for confirming the custom firmware route. I was really hoping to not have to go the mod-chip route, seems very risky.
smile.gif

No, Just reformat the Magic Memory Stick and your good to go,
PM if you need any help

Jasonage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sstew said:
g4med4d said:
smile.gif

No, Just reformat the Magic Memory Stick and your good to go,
PM if you need any help

You don't even need to reformat the memory stick after you've downgraded

Just download the games and pop them on, and you still have the mem stick to downgrade in emergency (eg car or something)

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well although now there is the custom firmware, but on the very first mother boards there was the mod chip for it called the UP chip. what that allowed was for the person to store two firmwares on the the psp. so the chip had firmware 1.50 while the psp had the latest firmware.and people just switched between the two depending on what they wanted to do. although this system holds very little value right now it was a godsend for people back in the day because they some way to run the old homebrew and play the latest games.

g4med4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for whatever reason if I wanted to switch back to Sony's original firmware, do I load the OFW onto the magic memory stick and update the PSP that way?

acidrain

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With the magic memory stick / pandora combo, you can revert to the original firmware, which would be the best way to do it. Then you'll still be able to re-install a CFW if you want.

Jasonage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
g4med4d said:
So for whatever reason if I wanted to switch back to Sony's original firmware, do I load the OFW onto the magic memory stick and update the PSP that way?

I'd suggest using Rain's MMS maker (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Rain-s-Simple-MMS-Maker-v1-0-mem-stick-prepper-for-Pandora-NET-Framework-not-required/pg/49/aid/123484) to make your magic mem stick btw.

And yes, you get an option on the pandora menu whether you want to hack the firmware, or make it the official firmware

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jasonage said:
g4med4d said:

I'd suggest using Rain's MMS maker (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Rain-s-Simple-MMS-Maker-v1-0-mem-stick-prepper-for-Pandora-NET-Framework-not-required/pg/49/aid/123484) to make your magic mem stick btw.

And yes, you get an option on the pandora menu whether you want to hack the firmware, or make it the official firmware

Thanks for the tip
smile.gif
I had a little trouble getting it to work with multi loader but I tried again with just 1.50 and 3.90 and my 4Gb sandisk worked fine with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome