Differance Between Advance Wars (DS series) and Panzer Tatics (DS Seri

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by sa1amandra, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sa1amandra
    OP

Member sa1amandra Gazzaro Launching!

Canada
    Is there a large diffrence between Panzer Tatics and Advance wars? please state the diffrences and simalrities, and the one i should get (Advance Wars Days of Ruin, Panzer Tatics DS ) I'm already playing Advance Wars Dual Strike and Days of Ruin i only got for online, not for campain.

2. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    Hmm... similarities ...

They are both turn based.

That is all. Actually, I couldn't stand Panzer Tactics, it's very different from Advance Wars.

3. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I prefer Advanced wars Days of ruin, since it's my favorite handheld stratagy game of all time.

I haven't played Panzer tactics, so I can't give an honest comparason between the two.

4. sa1amandra
    OP

Member sa1amandra Gazzaro Launching!

Canada
    To bad Days of Ruin lacks Combat Mode, a store, CO Alternate Clothing, Number of COs, Dual Screen Combat, Super CO power and Tag CO battle, LVing up and more

5. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Salamandra, they are essentially two completely different games. The only, ONLY comparable things are that they are both viewed from a top-down perspective and both considered strategy war games. Try them both and see which floats your boat.

6. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I don't need Combat mode, a store, alternate clothing, super Co power, and Tag CO battle.

I find the Super CO power and tag CO battle very unbalanced, etc.

The combat mode is probably needed, but I only played it for the campaigns. Store isn't really that much of a deal, and alternate clothing? Does that make THAT much of a difference?

Dual screen combat is nice, but again, I don't need it.

One thing I do want is the extra number of COs. There's a good amount of CO in DOR, but it would've been better if there were a few more.

I'm very sure there's a lot of people who want them, but I for one, do not. Everyone has different opinions, different standards, and different tastes.

And besides, the DOR was for more of a balanced gameplay that requires stratagy, instead of changing the tide of the battle in just one turn, which can happen in Dual Strike.

7. FreshSoul

Member FreshSoul GBAtemp Regular

United States
    main difference... advance wars is better

8. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    1st: Advance Wars have square tiles, while Panzer Tactics have hexagonal tiles. I have played Panzer Tactics and I've to tell you managing hexagonal tiles is a freaking pain

2nd: Advance Wars (Days of Ruin) askas you to play from scratch for each map in Campaign Mode, while Panzer Tactics is a bit generous. aside from pre-deployed armies you have your personal armies. Both of the game features level-up system. But Panzer Tactics keep your personal army for the next mission, so your effort of leveling up a Panzer won't fade away

3rd: Panzer tactics have a strange way of moving, and I mean it. You can pack your into into a truck (which is free, available anytime, anywhere, and for all ground-based units, and transport boats for water-traveling, in the same manner) and transport them farther than the unit's original movement, but they won't be able to attack that turn. This is like loading your Infantry into a Copter and landed it somewhere, but in Paner tactics you moved one unit once not two unit once

4th: Panzer Tactics doesn't feature CO, but it features Captains, which have special abilities. Some upgrades artilleries, some is more efficient with Tanks (Panzers respectively) and some with Air Force. All of them moralizes nearby units and improve their battle capabilities, pretty much like CO in Advance Wars, but you can load them into almost any unit almost anytime, and you have to buy them

5th: Panzer Tactics have a different way of deploying unit. In Panzer tactics you can deploy up to 6 units sorrunding a city you have captured (hexagonal tiles, six sides, six slots) Anytime in your turn, while Advance Wars can only deploy a unit in each factory/airport/dock

6th: The currency in Panzer tactics is fame, with fame you can buy units and captains (or sergeants or major or general whatever it is). You gain money for each war, not each turn, thus you can carry your personal army to the next battle, as your money does too

7th: Panzer Tactics have alot more units that you can use compard to Advance Wars, but the battle mechanics, unit characteristics, terrain characteristics, are the same

8th: Panzer tactics features ambush system, which is just a logical means, but I don't really understand the explanations (I got confused, executing it is a complex action to me, what with you have to place a specific unit in specific terrain and whatever)

9. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Heheheheheheheheheheheh

Ok guys let a real wargamer explain it please.

Both games are quite good, but one is designed to be light hearted. It has graphics that less than serious. It has a story that is whimsical.

Panzer Tactics is your dad's game. Does that sound offensive? Get over it. It's just a recreation of WW2 and the operational level. It uses graphics that are NOT whimsical. It uses hexes, omg hexes. Yeah just like they use on wargame boards.

The manual is perhaps handy, but if you insist on playing the game BEFORE the tutorials you only did it to yourself.
    That comment Raestloz makes about the trucks, sorry that's too funny.

If you like Advance Wars you will like Panzer Tactics. But you can't call them the same game. Don't be fooled by superficial details. Panzer Tactics is not forgiving of poorly thought out moves. Against a proper wargamer you would only get folded spindled and mutilated.

There's a reason I don't play the RPG adventures as much. Everyone likes their thing.
    If you want constant action, and easy button mashing Panzer Tactics is the wrong game for you.

10. acoustic.digital

Member acoustic.digital GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    wow, you are soooo cool, Panzer Tacticer!

[/sarcasm]

11. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Panzer Tacticer IS cool......

Advance Wars is my choice as it's not that "serious" as Panzer Tactics....But in most cases, if you like one game, you'll be able to play the other with enjoyment..

12. PW1337

Newcomer PW1337 Advanced Member

United States
    I liked War Room and Survival mode from Dual Strike, not really combat mode, it was too hard to beat it on Brutal >_>
    Store and CO Alternate clothing aren't really that necessary.
    I do think there could be at least more COs, like maybe another 2-3, thought, their abilities make not much difference.
    I miss Dual Screen Combat...[​IMG]
    My best bet is that Super CO Power and Tag Co Battles couldn't be included so that Online mutiplayer would be fair. More like having a balanced strategy than turning the tables with a Super Power, etc.

Now, to the topic, I really like Advance Wars games and they are great. I played Panzer Tactics a bit, and it's a more realistic game where you really have to think before doing something. If you are really into Strategy games, you'll like it. I didn't get a lot into it as it isn't as fast as Advance Wars games.
    If you are looking for a game similar to Advance Wars, Drone Tactics is the way to go, it's the closest you'll get to an Advance Wars game. A bit slow, so, sometimes battles take longer than you think, especially when the CPU put each unit to wait one by one, and there are lots of them.

13. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I agree with Advance Wars being somehow similar to Drone Tactics, and I really enjoy it (I must say that I even liked Drone Tactics a bit better than Advance Wars, but don't tell anybody [​IMG] )
    Drone Tactics have high customization level..You can customize every unit from colors to armor and weapons it'll use, and the choices are many..

14. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Panzer Tactics is much deeper, with far more units and options. It is also much, much harder (particularly compared to Days of Ruin, which is like 70% tutorial missions anyway) -- one mistake can very easily cost you the game even on the easiest levels. It is very much not a 'casual' pick-up-and-play game the way Advance Wars is.

On the other hand, it can be fun and rewarding if you like that kind of strategy game, particularly if you found Advance Wars to be too easy. (Don't get me wrong, Panzer Tactics isn't hugely difficult itself if you compare it to the rest of the wargame genre; the AI can certainly be outwitted. But the basic design of the game makes it much much easier to screw up and get your ass handed to you.)

Of course, Panzer Tactics is also a WWII game. If you like WWII, that's a good thing. If you want an original plot, obviously it isn't (no, Rommel does not turn out to be a time-travelling alien in this version.) Given the "plot" of Days of Ruin, this is probably a good thing...

15. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Agreed, Panzer Tactics is a deeper game. Its' good if you want an alternative to Advance Wars. Panzer Tactics is based on the PC Five Star General series by SSI. They were Panzer General, Star General, Fantasy General, Pacific General & Allied General. Fantasy General being my favourite of the bunch. Panzer Tactics is a good game which will sadly be overlooked by many gamers.

16. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thanks Panzer Tacticer, I was waiting for you to jump in here and set everyone straight.

17. fenthwick

Member fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Panzer is better IMO. But then again I used to play the PC versions when I was younger and it has grown on me.

18. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    The problem is I did play the tutorial, hence I told you about the ambush system, which is explained in tutorial although I must admit I don't understand what the hell was that German soldier explain to me (about the ambush)

And I wasn't joking about the trucks, since they are available almost anytime, anywhere, and for almost any ground basedunit. Surely it surprised me when I saw what the truck icon actually did. It packs your unit into a truck and your unit can move farther. And apparently it's free, and you can pack your artilleries and infantries, which are alot.

19. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    They are indeed very good, but very different games. I like PT, but have always been partial to Advance Wars. I like Days of Ruin, but I still love all the other DS and GBA releases as well. Panzer Tacticer mentioned something that is a major pet peeve of mine and I must address.

I'm really tired of people saying that they like Days of Ruin better because it has a grittier, more realistic feeling of warfare than the earlier releases like Black Hole Rising, Dual Strike, etc. Look, I know exactly what you mean, the older AW titles have brighter colors, lighter dialogue and banter, and slightly goofier looking villians. BUT ALL GAMES EVER INVENTED TAKE A LIGHT-HEARTED VIEW OF WAR! You wanna know how I know that, BECAUSE THEY ARE VIDEO GAMES! Anytime you have a digital, cartoon character shooting another cartoon character, IT IS LIGHT-HEARTED. Until someone creates a game that somehow magically puts you into real combat spilling the actual blood of another human, it is light-hearted.

And even your more realistic games still take a light-hearted look at real events. The whole GTA series is based on going around, stealing, and beating the ever-loving shit out of people. It is just a light as Jump US or Pokemon that allows you to beat people to the verge of death with weapons, fire, electrocution, etc. They are all games, people. Just because the color scheme or size of the characters head doesn't change that fact.