Didn't format drive to FAT32 before formatting WBFS

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Edngravy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Edngravy
    OP

Newcomer Edngravy Member

United States
    Okay so I was trying to backup some my game discs by puttings the ISOs on my 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer. The games transferred to the drive successfully from the Wii and I'm able to play them.

But when I went to the computer to extract the ISOs my drive cannot be recognized by anything. I went into disk management, I used MadModder's WBFS Manager and tried to load it from there but no success. So I tried KillDisk as my last resort to try and start all over but that couldn't recognize it either.

What should I do from here?

2. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I don't think you understand. When you formatted, you made the cruzer a WBFS device. it will not be able to be read by Windows with standard tools. You'll be able to see it in disk management, but Windows does not know the file system. You need to use something like WBFS Manager v3.0.1 to manage the device.

3. Edngravy
    OP

Newcomer Edngravy Member

United States
    No, I do understand. I have WBFS Manager v3.0.1 and it's not showing up in their either. I tried loading EVERY single drive option and it gave me and error for each one.

I also looked in the Disk Management and it doesn't show up in there either. I have no idea what's going with it and I really hope someone can help me.

4. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So, you are telling me that the Wii continues to see/read/play the games that have been ripped to it, but you cannot manage it whatsoever in Windows?

5. Edngravy
    OP

Newcomer Edngravy Member

United States
    Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. [​IMG]

I just put it back in the Wii and the games play flawlessly.

6. Edngravy
    OP

Newcomer Edngravy Member

United States
    I even tried rebooting the computer to see if that made a difference. No success there either. [​IMG]

7. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You need to run the WBFS Manager as Admin. If you don't you can only access Harddrives with letters, as admin it also detects all other drives (I never used letters for WBFS drives, that's stupid, Windows can't access the drive in the Explorer so it needs no drive letter).

8. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Don't use the Wii to format your drive to WBFS, and add your ISOs to the drive using your PC and WBFS Manager 3.0.1 whenever possible. If you're backing up your legal collection, only do so after you use WBFS manager to format to WBFS. Here's a more detailed description of setting it up.

Log into your PC as Administrator. Plug in your USB device, let windows assign it a drive letter, so if you double-click "My Computer," you should see your drive listed with a letter (example m:/). Use windows to format (right-click drive, and select format), or use the free program Compuapps Swissnknife to format larger drives to FAT32.

Then open WBFS Manager 3.0.1, refresh drive list, select your drive, and press FORMAT to make it WBFS. If you have an ISO laying around your desktop, add it now. Then plug your drive into your Wii and launch the games. If it works, you shouldn't have any problem moving between the Wii and your PC from here on out.

9. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    i think u mad a mistake it needs changed to WBFS Manager incase he get confused

10. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Damn, you're right I fixed it. I hope I didn't cause anyone problems or confusion, it's just that I've been messing with wadmanager over the last few nights, trying to get the nand emu working with triforce, so I got the names mixed up. Thanks.