Gaming Diddy Kong Racing Makes Me Sad...

• Thread starter scubersteve
  • Start date
  • Views 8,463
  • Replies 33
S

scubersteve

OP
Ok, so here's the differences between the original that I'VE seen.
-They made the game a million times easier by taking out coin challenge, and putting in that lame balloon crap
-They made the hovercraft a friggen sliding brock with an engine, so it's unpossible to turn
-They replaced the skilled timing it takes to get a start boost with little games
-They took out THE FUCKING BATTLE MAPS
-They made the bosses a million times easier (dragon got pwned)
-They killed Banjo & Conker
EDIT:
-They made the game less racist by getting rid of the genie's voice, and replacing it with some guy who has no accent (I personally found the original voice awesome)
-They got rid of a LOT of the voices
-Grabbing 2 red balloons gives you 5 rockets, 3 red balloons gives you ONE homing (yes, they changed the red balloon sequence)

The fact that Banjo's gone ruined the game.
Come on, nintendo.
If you SOMEHOW got rare to make this port, how the hell were you not able to get BANJO?
BANJO IS THE GREETEST!

Off topic: Banjo-Kazooie port anyone? (Banjo-Tooie was waaaaay too confusing)

kcfusion13

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you 100%, the genie voice freaking killed it. I played Diddy Kong Racing everyday when I was about 6 or 7. But they still have the battle maps, but you can't play them without multiplayer? Microsoft owns rare, so they should make it a classic game that's downloadable...

S

scubersteve

OP
battle maps are still there?
WHERE?
opening the key door only leads to a lame race with TT.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I had fond memories of the N64 version, this one however, I deleted straight away.

WHY did they make us blow on the DS or spin the propellor with the stylus at the start of every race for a boost? This useless gimmick ruined the game for me.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I had fond memories of the N64 version, this one however, I deleted straight away.

WHY did they make us blow on the DS or spin the propellor with the stylus at the start of every race for a boost? This useless gimmick ruined the game for me.

Same thing here :/

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Agreed..... makes you look a right twat when playing in public
laugh.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly the same for me.

I knew it was shit after a few minutes.

Good analysis scubersteve. i didn't know all of that stuff because i only played it for a very short time, but it's even worse than i previously thought.

However, I don't think nintendo should be blamed for this, after all nintendo played no part in the development of the game. Rare is owned by microsoft, and it they tried to cash in on an old classic (did the same with conkers BFD). Th biggest thing is probably that it's nintendo's fault that they can't use all the same characters.

S

scubersteve

OP
I wasn't complaining about Nintendo's developing, but more about Nintendo's debating skills.
THEY COULDN'T GET BANJO?!?!?!

If Rare was the developer, and not Nintendo, why couldnt Banjo or Conker make it into this game?

Rare DOES own both of them...
But they don't own any of the Kongs (as far as I know), yet they still made the cut.
Oh well, I still have Tiptup.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ahhh, tiptup was my favourite character
smile.gif

tipsy (did i get the name right?) was my sister's favourite.

i remember being pretty good at manual aiming, and i was a pro with hovercraft.

ismaboof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wasn't complaining about Nintendo's developing, but more about Nintendo's debating skills.
THEY COULDN'T GET BANJO?!?!?!

If Rare was the developer, and not Nintendo, why couldnt Banjo or Conker make it into this game?

Rare DOES own both of them...
But they don't own any of the Kongs (as far as I know), yet they still made the cut.
Oh well, I still have Tiptup.

Microsoft owns rare and thus the Banjo and Conker properties. DKR was a joint project between Rare and Nintendo. Microsoft isn't going to revive DKR since it's a nintendo property while Conker and Banjo can still be iterated.

DKR has huge nostalgia for me. I bought the game and beat it in under 10 hours. Yes the game kinda blows, but I find it fun. Being unable to play the battle maps without multi player is bullshit thought. I want my ice pyramid! Did anyone hack the game to make it playable single player?

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. The N64 game is one of my favorite games on the system, and I still do the Coop Adventure with my friends occasionally to this day. The DS game made me cry.

That being said, with the image that Rare gave Conker nowadays I don't think Nintendo wanted Conker in, even if they could.

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, maybe sad.. but I thought RARE moving to Microsoft was worse.. Banjo Kazooie 3 for the 360 will be great, wonderful trailer, creative design.. pity it wasn't a Wii title, could have been a great title for the wii too.

I agree though, Diddy for the N64 was great along with F-Zero & Wave Race.

S

scubersteve

OP
Honestly, jalapeno, I don't see anything wtrong with this game.
Graphically, it was on par, perhaps better than Mario Kart 64.
The general mechanics of the weapons was awesome, and it was very similar to that of Chocobo Racing.
Stacking the same type of weapon = better weapon.
Random items based on your position in the race was a good concept, but it was a bit stacked.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
hmmmm

compared to mario kart, in my opinion it was not as good.

basically a cheap knock off, and the controls were terrible and the tracks monotone

maybe if you played diddykongracing before mario kart it could of been alright.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM