Did your 3DS come with any "battery juice"?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by R2DJ, Mar 25, 2011.

?

Does the 3DS have enough battery power out of the box for StreetPass/Play Coins (3-4 hrs)?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 25, 2011
  1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Basically, when your 3DS was purchased/delivered, did it come with any juice in the battery? I'm asking this as I'm picking up my 3DS today at Morrisons and I'm gonna try and use StreetPass and get Play Coins at the earliest. I've made a thread about initial charging not long ago and it seems that it isn't a necessity as it used to be so I'm guessing it's fine to turn it on out of the box. But does it have any juice in it? I'll be out for at least 3-4 hours so will the 3DS make it?

EDIT: Added poll questions.

Thanks

2. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    I got mine yesterday, it had about 75% of battery left.

3. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    good day sir,

it does have some juice, mine was about 1/2 charged. im pretty confident, if you're just using streetpass/coin collection (with the 3ds in sleep mode), you'll easily be able
    to get 3 - 4 hours, if not more.

i've just played like 4 hours of street figher and im still 1/2 on the battery. it looks as though the battery last quite a long while!!

Morrisons FTW!!

4. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    I got mine a two hours ago. I didn't check if it had any battery juice, because I'm used to "You must charge first before you can use the device, else it'll lose it's battery potentiall". It was charged when I got back from lunch 20 minutes ago, so I fired it up and tried some Street Fighter 4.
    The 3d effect is awesome, but you can instantly feel it's straining on your eyes.

5. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    Mine had enough for at least 30mins (that all i used it for before sticking it on charge) the battery warning light didn't come on during that time so i would assume your safe for at least an hour of play time - but you will have ALOT longer if your leaving it on standby for the play coins/streetpass functionality.

You will need a few mins to setup the console before you can collect the coins, and couple more minutes to enable streetpass.

6. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    It was reportedly to have at least 50% left in the battery

7. ferret7463

Member ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So are you guys saying that you don't have to charge your 3DS up to full before you first turn it on? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    just asking...
    when you say battery juice do you mean...

Is there battery power for playtime once i open my 3DS out of the box (w/o charging)?
    or
    Does the 3DS battery last at my first time playing (after charging 7-8 hours or whatever)? [​IMG]

9. Cartmanuk

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Conditional charging is important.

When your [​IMG] arrives it will have some power.

To get the most from your battery you should not let it run flat first time. You will need to charge the battery for a minimum of 8 hours but 24 hours is recommended.

Once fully charged you can use it normally. Remember to let your battery run flat every so often to get the most life out of it.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Actually letting your battery go flat is bad for any type of lithium ion battery. Ideally you should charge these type of batteries often and don't do a full discharge cycle as it can harm battery life. Ideal time to charge is around the 30-40% mark.

11. TheNikkoMan

Newcomer TheNikkoMan Advanced Member

Norway
    Mine came with 3 out of 4 battery lines. Can I call them lines?
    It lasted for about one and a half hour with full 3D - full sound and wireless on.

12. redsmas

Member redsmas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Mine was half charged.
    But I must say that the docking station is very loose.

13. Kawo

Member Kawo GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    2bits of battery, it lasted very long, I tried almost anything and wireless was on most of the time.

14. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback guys. When I got it I went to Nando's Westfield and unboxed it, set up, made a rubbish Mii that doesn't even resemble me, enabled StreetPass, fiddled around with the settings and then put it to Sleep Mode and then walked around. Got home at 6 PM and it only went red when I set up the Internet and tried the AR in full 3D. My baby is charging now and I'm very happy [​IMG] I gotta say I'm thankful that I made the right choice (chose the black one) and picked up 3 Miis along the way.

Oh and I apparently won the AR T-shirt when I registered my 3DS. Has anyone won it too? I don't really know how I'm gonna get it as a) I did the registration on my iPhone so everything was so slow, yet I managed to be one of the 3000 and b) I live in the high street; I know at least 10 stores that share the same post code as me [​IMG]

15. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    I thought you were meant to charge them straight up first?

16. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Any battery, be it nickel based or lithium based battery, are voltage sensitive. Too low voltage and its chemistry will be damaged. Battery level is directly proportional to voltage. Letting battery running flat will kill battery than doing it any good.

Even with Ni-Cd battery where memory effect is obvious, you should only fully discharge it every once a while. Lithium based battery cannot tolerate full discharge no matter what. Fully discharge a rechargeable battery on every charge cycle will kill the battery sooner than you realize.

17. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    whats your guys opinion on using the 3ds while charging it, right after unboxing?
    how does it affect bat life
    i will be using the nyko power pak + on day one and wont even use the official bat until the nyko stops charging

18. Cartmanuk

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom

Yes this is true. Most modern lithium ion batteries have protection circuits built in so you can't fully discharge the battery.

But for the first Charge you should give it at least 8 hours.(You can still play with it in it's docking station [​IMG]

19. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    YA
    YOU CAN PLAY IT WITHOUT THE DOCK TOO!!!

but seriously
    maybe thats why my nyko wii batteries stopped working...
    no discharge protection?

20. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    All lithium-ion rechargable batteries come partially charged, but never fully charged. Fully charged batteries damage the battery's chemistry, as does having the charge very low (or empty).

If you plug a battery into a new device (be it laptop, cell phone, or 3ds) if the system doesn't turn on immediately you should return it as it's guaranteed that the battery is damaged.