Hacking Did the threats of using Flashcards on 3DS come true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently have a DSi XL in which I use an Acekard, and an original 3DS in which I only use genuine games..

I was originally planning on using the Acekard in the 3DS, but never got used to the small screen, so never bothered.

The 3DS XL is out this week and I am tempted to upgrade my 3DS.. But now since the screen is bigger, I would want to use my Acekard in it (assuming they are compatible) to play DS games..

When the 3DS came out, there were loads of threats and rumors about using Flashcards.. I seem to remember that the fear was that Nintendo would blacklist you, or even brick your 3DS.. Did this ever become anything? If not, do most people now believe that this threat was without substance and now use Flashcards in the 3DS?

Jon

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The worst thing that happens is nintendo updates the firmware and your flashcart doesn't work...for about a day and then the flashcart gets updated.

Nothing happens. Nintendo doesn't do squat, they don't even care. They can't tell you're using a flashcart, it just looks like you REALLY freakin' love The Chronicles of Narnia (that's the game the flashcart'll show up as in your play log, unless acekard changed it on me).

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I currently have a DSi XL in which I use an Acekard, and an original 3DS in which I only use genuine games..

I was originally planning on using the Acekard in the 3DS, but never got used to the small screen, so never bothered.

The 3DS XL is out this week and I am tempted to upgrade my 3DS.. But now since the screen is bigger, I would want to use my Acekard in it (assuming they are compatible) to play DS games..

When the 3DS came out, there were loads of threats and rumors about using Flashcards.. I seem to remember that the fear was that Nintendo would blacklist you, or even brick your 3DS.. Did this ever become anything? If not, do most people now believe that this threat was without substance and now use Flashcards in the 3DS?

Jon

no it's not true, to date no one has had a remote brick from ninetdno but who knows if that will change in the future, and my advice is do not sell the dsi xl, keep it and get a 3ds xl beside it, you don't want to be bombarded with constant updates from nintendo on the 3ds xl, you will be constantly updating all the time.

jweaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all.. I followed this discussion closely when the 3DS came out and thought it was BS.. But Its been over a year and I have lot interest, and I just wanted to check before slamming an Acekard into my new toy this weekend (assuming the Acekard works of course).

Jon

filipepw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
as far as i know bricking your DS would be illegal.
if u own something that has a computer, you are as free to smash it against the wall a you are to hack it.
of course you can do both at you own risk

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing happens. Nintendo doesn't do squat, they don't even care. They can't tell you're using a flashcart, it just looks like you REALLY freakin' love The Chronicles of Narnia (that's the game the flashcart'll show up as in your play log, unless acekard changed it on me).
One must wonder, does Nintendo even look at Activity Logs? I have my doubts :P

But yeah, there isn't really any way Nintendo could tell that you're using a flashcart. None whatsoever. Now, if you were to somehow HACK your 3DS, you might get a brick. Though as far as I know, no one has done* it yet.

*hacked or bricked their 3DS

jweaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
as far as i know bricking your DS would be illegal.
if u own something that has a computer, you are as free to smash it against the wall a you are to hack it.
of course you can do both at you own risk

I don't think I ever considered they might 'brick' it.. But blocking updates or on-line use was certainly possible...

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
However, keep in mind that poorly made flash carts HAVE bricked DSes before though most of the time they can be fixed by replacing the blown fuse. So yes, using a cheaply made fake Acekard could very well cause damage to the 3DS but Nintendo has nothing to do with it.

jweaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry all.. Just realised there was a sticky about this. Thanks for not forcing that down my throat and giving me the courtisy of a reply.

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
They don't need to look at the activity log.

Each firmware upgrade they update a list called the "DS Whitelist" which is segments from the roms of flashcart used banners.
This way the authentication of the DS cart is made not only by its header but from a certain block from the rom.
This way if you will use the actual game it will not get blocked.

Every time a flashcart doesn't work, Nintendo, potentialy, can know about it!

I guess they wouldn't brick you 3ds from the doubt that it might be ok and the contacts of the cart are bad.

EDIT: DSiBrew has some information about it (Link) it might be the same as before (2 SHA-1 hashes of some kind)
3DBrew link: http://3dbrew.org/wi...m_Data_Archives

Reactions: 2 people

Steffan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You'll want to keep using your DSi XL for DS games anyway, they look way better on there than on a 3DS.

filipepw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
even if Nintendo knows, they dont want to brick any consoles, thats just who they are.
they want you to run Nintendo software and services, if you dont do this, the try to make you use it, and nothing more
any way, i already said here that its illegal, you are free to do what ever you want with something you buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1