Hardware Did putting a cloth between the screens prevent scratching?

Elrom87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi there!
I recently got my last N3DSXL, a new one, and I'm really worried that it might develop scratches. I live in a country where there's no Nintendo representation, so sending it in is completely out of the question.
I don't have scratches, but I've noticed that if you put the slightest pressure anywhere in the top portion of the console (not the middle, anywhere), I get the borders of the touchscreen imprinted on the top screen. For now, it's only little particles of dust or lint, but it will happen eventually.
I messed up a tempered glass screen protector so I'm back at square one. I can't get another one unless I pay a lot (yes, my country is shit importing things and it's not even manufactured here).
I decided to put a microfiber cloth, the one that came with my sunglasses between the screens, folded, to prevent them touching. I just wish this didn't happen, but it does.

Will this prevent the scratches? How thick should the microfiber cloth be? Folded? Unfolded so it's slimmer? I don't know. I'm guessing that if it's folded and therefore thicker, it will cushion everything... or will it apply more pressure to the screen? :(. I blow in the screen before closing it, and give the cloth a good shaking to, so hopefully nothing gets trapped there.
Did anyone got scratches even with a microfiber cloth?
My previous one got scratched and honestly, I don't know how or when. I kept the foam that comes with the console between the screens, and one day, boom. Two spot marks on the screen. Maybe sand got in there? I was in a place four blocks from a beach. Maybe sand was in my body and fell in the case somewhere.

It hit me so bad that I ended up selling it. I couldn't enjoy it anymore. So this new console is like a "last chance"... but I see that this keeps happening so I'm a little disappointed in that.

Thanks!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My first idea would have been a screen protector (at least on the upper screen). One made of tempered glass on the resistive touchscreen will probably make it respond badly (or not at all) so I would not recommend that.

The old 3DS models, especially the first model, are more prone to getting the two lines on the upper screen when the frame of the touchscreen presses against the upper display lens. Never had any issues on my two N3DSXL with that (although one of them came without the foam you mentioned). Both, the one with and the one without foam are like new.

Admittedly, the soft plastic can be easily scratched opposed to the glass commonly used on capacitive touchscreen like on phones. This is also a problem for the normal usage of DS touchscreens. They get scratched up fast when playing games that require fast reaction and extreme movement like Kirby Mass Attack.

If scratched up, replacing the display lens is always an option. But be aware that you will most likely get dust caught in between the lens and the LCD which looks really awful. If you are "fussy" about your screen condition replacing the plastic lens requires a very clean room.

Getting a hard case for carrying might also help (prevents pressure).

Elrom87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
My first idea would have been a screen protector (at least on the upper screen). One made of tempered glass on the resistive touchscreen will probably make it respond badly (or not at all) so I would not recommend that.

The old 3DS models, especially the first model, are more prone to getting the two lines on the upper screen when the frame of the touchscreen presses against the upper display lens. Never had any issues on my two N3DSXL with that (although one of them came without the foam you mentioned). Both, the one with and the one without foam are like new.

Admittedly, the soft plastic can be easily scratched opposed to the glass commonly used on capacitive touchscreen like on phones. This is also a problem for the normal usage of DS touchscreens. They get scratched up fast when playing games that require fast reaction and extreme movement like Kirby Mass Attack.

If scratched up, replacing the display lens is always an option. But be aware that you will most likely get dust caught in between the lens and the LCD which looks really awful. If you are "fussy" about your screen condition replacing the plastic lens requires a very clean room.

Getting a hard case for carrying might also help (prevents pressure).
I don't care too much with the lower screen, because it's a fact that a resistive touchscreen will get scratched overtime, and a film on top of it will only make it more noticeable in a super short span of time. My main concern is the top screen.
I know that a tempered glass screen protector is my best bet (for ease of installation and such. Note, I busted mine trying to do something else that ended up being a defect on the protector), but it's too expensive. I might end up doing somewhere down the line, but in the meantime, I'm trying to know if the method of a cloth was actually useful or just a placebo.
Since almost a decade has passed, It's safe to assume that all the people that did it, ended up finding out if it worked long term or not.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there!
I recently got my last N3DSXL, a new one, and I'm really worried that it might develop scratches. I live in a country where there's no Nintendo representation, so sending it in is completely out of the question.
I don't have scratches, but I've noticed that if you put the slightest pressure anywhere in the top portion of the console (not the middle, anywhere), I get the borders of the touchscreen imprinted on the top screen. For now, it's only little particles of dust or lint, but it will happen eventually.
I messed up a tempered glass screen protector so I'm back at square one. I can't get another one unless I pay a lot (yes, my country is shit importing things and it's not even manufactured here).
I decided to put a microfiber cloth, the one that came with my sunglasses between the screens, folded, to prevent them touching. I just wish this didn't happen, but it does.

Will this prevent the scratches? How thick should the microfiber cloth be? Folded? Unfolded so it's slimmer? I don't know. I'm guessing that if it's folded and therefore thicker, it will cushion everything... or will it apply more pressure to the screen? :(. I blow in the screen before closing it, and give the cloth a good shaking to, so hopefully nothing gets trapped there.
My previous one got scratched and honestly, I don't know how or when. I kept the foam that comes with the console between the screens, and one day, boom. Two spot marks on the screen. Maybe sand got in there? I was in a place four blocks from a beach. Maybe sand was in my body and fell in the case somewhere.

It hit me so bad that I ended up selling it. I couldn't enjoy it anymore. So this new console is like a "last chance"... but I see that this keeps happening so I'm a little disappointed in that.

Thanks!
Only system to worrie about top screen scratching is O3DS all other systems have poultry of room that is not even touching

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My new 3DS has the two lines on the top screen too, I bought it used like that so it could have had a hard previous life but the issue still exists
That's as rare as rocking horse shit then mine as I bought new still does not have lines in top screen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My new 3DS has the two lines on the top screen too, I bought it used like that so it could have had a hard previous life but the issue still exists
Of course the issue still exists. The very first model had the most problems with that. Even very careful usage made the lines eventually appear.

The newer models are designed so that the frame does not touch the upper screen lens – as long as there is no pressure on involved. Carrying the 3DS consoles in a pants pocket without a case will put pressure on it and the lines will sooner or later appear.

Reactions: IC_

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi there!

Thanks!
If there is *any* hard dust/dirt stuck on the microfiber cloth it can actually cause scratches. And because microfiber cloth likes to attract dust/dirt, always leaving the cloth there will attract dust/dirt over time.

If you use the console normally, it's less likely dust/dirt will get trapped inside. Also if you keep it in a pouch, then it's pretty well protected from dust/dirt. On the DS Phat and Lite I always used screen protectors, but I played a lot of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, Pokemon Ranger and other games that are rough to the touchscreen. I don't feel like I need them on the 3DS.

The original 3DS had a bit of a design flaw, the top was all glossy plastic and there weren't any rubber pieces to stop the bottom screen from rubbing up against the top one, so over time the bottom screen could leave scratches on the top screen. That hasn't been a problem with the 3DS XL or new 3DS models though. You can get some smudges left by the circle pad, but they wipe off easily.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about scratches caused by dust from normal usage, and I don't recommend leaving a microfiber cloth there since it could make things worse. If you play touch heavy games with rapid movement such as the ones mentioned, then a screen protector on the bottom screen to protect from scratches caused by the stylus is a good idea.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The original 3DS had a bit of a design flaw, the top was all glossy plastic and there weren't any rubber pieces to stop the bottom screen from rubbing up against the top one, so over time the bottom screen could leave scratches on the top screen. That hasn't been a problem with the 3DS XL or new 3DS models though. You can get some smudges left by the circle pad, but they wipe off easily.
I agree on the thing with micro fiber. Some of those are scratchy themself and they are made to attract and keep dirt (it's a cleaning tool after all). The foam thing that came with the console seems to not attract dirt particles.

But I can't confirm "That hasn't been a problem with the 3DS XL or new 3DS models though."
Nintendo did a good job mitigating the problem A LOT with the rubber bumpers on the upper screen assembly. But the problem is not gone.

O3DSXL_scratch_upper_screen.jpg

The photo in bright sunlight looks a lot worse than when actually using the console. Barely visible when off in normal light conditions and completely invisible when on.
This O3DSXL has been used countless hours, I took it with me a lot (carrying in pouch).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I agree on the thing with micro fiber. Some of those are scratchy themself and they are made to attract and keep dirt (it's a cleaning tool after all). The foam thing that came with the console seems to not attract dirt particles.

But I can't confirm "That hasn't been a problem with the 3DS XL or new 3DS models though."
Nintendo did a good job mitigating the problem A LOT with the rubber bumpers on the upper screen assembly. But the problem is not gone.

View attachment 219195

The photo in bright sunlight looks a lot worse than when actually using the console. Barely visible when off in normal light conditions and completely invisible when on.
This O3DSXL has been used countless hours, I took it with me a lot (carrying in pouch).
I think it can happen if you leave your 3DS in a bag with heavy objects on it or something. It doesn't seem to happen normally, at least for me. Anyway, nothing a cheap screen protector wouldn't solve.

Elrom87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's as rare as rocking horse shit then mine as I bought new still does not have lines in top screen
I thought the same thing. I even joked with a friend because he bought screen protectors for the N3DSXL, and proceeded to show him what Nintendo had in place to prevent scratches.
Fast forward a couple of months, and I had two marks on the screen that until this day, I still don't know how I got them. One day I opened the console, and they where there. I took extreme care of the console and handled it as if it was made of glass. I remember that when it happened, I had the foam that came with the console between the screens.
Logic tells me that Nintendo puts that foam between the screens because it's softer than the plastic and like some said, it shouldn't attract dust... but it happened.
I'm starting to think that eventually, it could happen, unless I buy a screen protector. And I understand, where you people live, maybe it's not hard to get one, but where I live, currently, it's IMPOSSIBLE, unless I pay, and I kid you not, 47 dollars to import them. And COVID is not helping.
I'm keeping the microfiber cloth, and in the back of my mind is the possibility that dust or something hard might be trapped there, but here's the thing: Nintendo tells you on their website that you can clean the screens with a microfiber cloth, meaning, everytime that you clean it, there's a chance that you will scratch it. For me it happened years ago, I don't remember If I cleaned it the day before (I even thought the top screen was glass, so maybe I didn't apply the same pressure on the screen to clean it that you guys currently apply).
But the marks were dots, so... it doesn't look like something that you could do while wiping, otherwise it would look like a long scratch. A dot is more when you put pressure and there's something hard in between, or the material itself it's harder and pressed against the screen.
For the time being... I think I will use the foam that came with the console, and give a nice shake an inspection of dust before closing it.

This has been bugging more than it should... like it takes away from the enjoyment of the console. I wish they would have thought about the design more and acted on it.
Still love the 3DS though, it's just these little things that keeps disappointing about Nintendo hardware. The Switch for example, have problems of his own, and some where not even fixed with the new iterations :/. How hard can it be?

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the same thing. I even joked with a friend because he bought screen protectors for the N3DSXL, and proceeded to show him what Nintendo had in place to prevent scratches.
Fast forward a couple of months, and I had two marks on the screen that until this day, I still don't know how I got them. One day I opened the console, and they where there. I took extreme care of the console and handled it as if it was made of glass. I remember that when it happened, I had the foam that came with the console between the screens.
Logic tells me that Nintendo puts that foam between the screens because it's softer than the plastic and like some said, it shouldn't attract dust... but it happened.
I'm starting to think that eventually, it could happen, unless I buy a screen protector. And I understand, where you people live, maybe it's not hard to get one, but where I live, currently, it's IMPOSSIBLE, unless I pay, and I kid you not, 47 dollars to import them. And COVID is not helping.
I'm keeping the microfiber cloth, and in the back of my mind is the possibility that dust or something hard might be trapped there, but here's the thing: Nintendo tells you on their website that you can clean the screens with a microfiber cloth, meaning, everytime that you clean it, there's a chance that you will scratch it. For me it happened years ago, I don't remember If I cleaned it the day before (I even thought the top screen was glass, so maybe I didn't apply the same pressure on the screen to clean it that you guys currently apply).
But the marks were dots, so... it doesn't look like something that you could do while wiping, otherwise it would look like a long scratch. A dot is more when you put pressure and there's something hard in between, or the material itself it's harder and pressed against the screen.
For the time being... I think I will use the foam that came with the console, and give a nice shake an inspection of dust before closing it.

This has been bugging more than it should... like it takes away from the enjoyment of the console. I wish they would have thought about the design more and acted on it.
Still love the 3DS though, it's just these little things that keeps disappointing about Nintendo hardware. The Switch for example, have problems of his own, and some where not even fixed with the new iterations :/. How hard can it be?
Interesting is that my O3DS that I bought on launch still has 0 lines on top screen were the bottom screen border meets the top and I have always had had the original foam pad it came with in there when not playing no screen protector ever

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1