did piracy have anyting

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by CJL18, May 16, 2009.

May 16, 2009

did piracy have anyting by CJL18 at 1:33 PM (3,355 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. CJL18
    OP

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    to do with you getting a wii? I can honestly say it has for me if it was like a ps3 where you couldnt play pirate games i probably would of never got one.

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i got mine when it was 1st released. than i saw the wiikey later on and got that. true about the ps3 i'm not getting one cos of no mods.

3. paulwesley

Newcomer paulwesley Advanced Member

United States
    I got the wii for my wife she wanted 1 for a year . all I really do with it is see how for I can mod it without bricking it . the rest of the family plays it 20 hrs a day . For games I love my PC consoles are ok but puter games beat them all. [​IMG]

4. squirrel420

Newcomer squirrel420 Member

United States
    not really. i get consoles so i can play the games i want. whether or not they can be modded isn't too high up on the list.

5. jesuschristmonke

Member jesuschristmonke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, I had my Wii at launch which was long before the Somali Pirates made news.

I believe there were still South American pirates that don't get as much press.

But no, piracy had nothing to do with it.

6. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Hmmm, I would be lieing if i tell it has nothing to do with it... It has, but wasn't the main point.
    I bought a Wii becaus most games can be played in fast "turns", i mean, you can play a little, save and came back after. Since i don't have the same amount of time i used to have when i was younger, i can't play most of the games for a long period of time straight...

(I'm sure there is a lot of grammar ans spelling errors here...)

7. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    This. I mainly bought it for Super Smash Bros. Bawl, which is the only game I've actually bought (besides Harvest Moon as a gift for my little sister). Backups are a nice addition, I can't lie, but still, %95 of my Wii time is dedicated to SSBB.

8. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It was launch for me [​IMG]

I would've stayed overnight at the local EB Games if I wasn't on vacation. I REALLY started obsessing when Brawl was announced (I still remember the day...) and the fact that Guitar Hero is on it. Now I mostly pirate stuff, which usually turns out to be crap. If it's good I buy it though!

9. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Bought mine at launch. Piracy has never swayed me on a console purchase. I fear it will the future though.

10. Xta Large

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Being able to use backups is great and all, but that don't mean jack when your library is limited

I'm a happy PSWii60 owner, and while the Wii has been getting a lot of usage lately, even with my ability to have whatever game I want within an hour of wanting it I still have a larger library of games on the other two systems.

Hopefully this will change one day.

11. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Woah, you can torrent things that fast? Or do you mean going to rent it then copy it over?

12. Xta Large

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dark-Felines Entertainment, man, they're fast as shit over there, real cool site (if ya don't get it ya don't get it)

Sometimes I use my bro's comp which has a shitty connection so I just (and this is a real great technique for anyone who's interested) use a program called jDownloader and use those long megaupload/rapidshit lists you can find all over the internet.

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Piracy was the farthest from my mind. I had gotten semi-sick of console gaming over the previous 5 years or so as a mix of owning (MS aside) all the other major things from 1995-current and most handhelds too (Nintendo, Sega, Sony, SNKhandheld, NEC 'Duo'.) Things started getting boring enough I couldn't make myself be at the tv for long so portables got me. But with the promise of what Wii could do with the motions I noticed it would be great for FPS titles, camera interaction, new un-thought of ideas, RTS, and other 'mouse' using type things so I jumped in.

Nintendo has slightly disappointed me as Brawl and Kart were complete trash compared to their GC counterparts and before. Outside that 3rd parties were the only real let down outside of people like EA (MOH H2), Capcom kinda was in there good, and little else up until later 08 hit and miss, and greatly this year from May forward. It's too early to form an opinion for someone wanting to be fair, not just in it for excuses...but going into 2010 or 2011 we'll know if it has enough to stand on it's own without piracy being a factor in general for people outside of scum who just steal whatever for any reason that fits.

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    usenet download speeds of 10-13mb/sec (1300 Kb) [​IMG]

15. Zidapi

Member Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    I got my Wii @ launch and only have been running 'backups' for a month or so. I have 34 legit games.

16. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    I initially bought the Wii because I thought it was a good idea at the time, but then having seen the amount of crap coming out for it, I promptly sold it and used the money to get a PS3.

The only thing I miss about the Wii is the VC, Wiiware and the associated homebrew, twilight hack etc.

The Wii will ALWAYS be a gimmick in my eyes - just because it has a feature (wiimote) that is different, it doesn't mean it has to be used in every game.
    Also 'shovelware overkill' has ruined my respect for Nintendo.
    I think the handful of games that are worth playing, are not enough for me to reconsider purchasing another Wii (regardless of the VC/Wiiware).

Were it not for the fact the the DS still has a something going for it, Nintendo would have been wiped out of my existance in a flash.

Views expressed attach only to the correspondent.

17. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Something easier would have been bad luck entertainment sheesh. Everyone knows its blackcats.

Also I'm glad everyone uses torrents. Makes everyone stay away from usenet. =)

18. F34R

Member F34R GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've had my Wii for over a year now, and have only modded it a week ago. In short, no.

19. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    I bought a wii, have a backup launcher installed for me, happy and ready to pirate. Then I realised theres so many terms and things for me to learn before I pirate and that most games that require prephirals aren't fun without them.

So now I buy the games instead. But I bought it mostly because of the motion sensing and the fact thats its a Nntendo product so there will be quality Mario titles.....

20. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I have a Wii for over a year now, and I do not play backups. I do play legit homebrew. And nice games.