Homebrewnoobz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohmy.gif
I bought two CycloDS Evolutions off of stuffs4kids.com. Quite a few online sources said that they were reliable. I just received it last night and there is a problem, they both look similar except for the back of the cartridge, take a look:

S7300664.jpg

They are both CycloDS Evolutions ordered from stuffs4kids.com. If you can see it, there is a weird oval/rectangular shape on the left side of the left cartridge, but it's not there on the right cartridge.

Another thing is, the cartridge on the right has curved short edges on its right side, while the left cartridge has thinner wider edges on its right side.

It seems strange to me that each CycloDs Evolution would look different. So my question is, is one of these, or both of these flash carts fakes?

I really appreciate any responses as for this is a christmas present, so I would have to try to get a refund SOON. Thank you very much!!

P.S. They both have the official CycloDS Evolution sticker. I don't if this helps, but I am a R4 and MMD owner, I am not really a noob to homebrew, I just picked the name because I couldn't come up with anything else, THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP!!!!
ohmy.gif

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I've never heard of any "fake" Cyclo existing. I think they are just different revisions of the hardware. I heard that there a newer revision that made the chip stick out less. I've never seen a picture though so I don't know what the case looks like.

My Cyclo looks like the one on the right, for the record.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
myne looks like the one on the right.
and i doubt either are fake, why would you post a thread? they looked different, but did you try them out? see if they both accepted updates? if they both have the same website on the box? before you posted this you should have tested em, because then this is just a useless thread.

Also, i think the fake cyclo would be called an edge (Badum CHH! hah im hysterical!)

Homebrewnoobz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I did, they work fine, but I'm obssesive and its hard for me to lets things go. I need some opinions,hehe. Its that I heard of fake ds's in th u.k. the R4 fiasco and it made me worried that someone would try to make a fake CycloDS Eolution, thanks for guys' help, but anyone else have any opinions?

Oh and I heard that someone shipped a fake R4, claiming it was the official R4, like it had the official box, text and everything, except for the faulty, chip sticking cartridge, so another thing that made me worried. I think it was a thread here on GBAtemp.

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Could the first one be a v1.0? *snickers*
The later one is def the real deal.

I'm skeptic about the first one.. Boot her up and when it's loading screen push and hold *down+b*.
A black screen will appear and freeze the loading process. Look for the hardware version. Should be v1.0 or v1.1.

If you got yourself a v1.0 you got your socks full of dirt.
blink.gif

Let us know
gbasp.gif

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
check if it has an in-game menu press L+R+A+B+Y+X with text reader, slow motion, and real time save if it does its not an edge

Homebrewnoobz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Priss said:

I'm skeptic about the first one.. Boot her up and when it's loading screen push and hold *down+b*.
A black screen will appear and freeze the loading process. Look for the hardware version. Should be v1.0 or v1.1.

blink.gif

Let us know
gbasp.gif

It won't freeze. It won't display firmware version with the microSD, even when I press down+b. It just tries to update to v1.41, but without the microSD it says that it is version 1.4

Oh and what is so bad if its v1.0?
Posts merged

gratefulbuddy said:
QUOTE(Tanas @ Dec 14 2008, 07:27 PM) The one on the left is identical to the EDGE.

Yeah, my Cyclo looks like the right, my Edge looks like the left.

It sucks if it is the Edge, but with CycloDS Evolution firmware, that'd really suck

Nathan-NL

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That one on the right is V3. (I've got the same here in my hands)

That other one on the left is an older hardware version, maybe some restock that webshop still had then back in time, check if any chip is bulking out in the front.

And try all the features etc.
wink.gif

(It's not a clone, that's for sure)

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Homebrewnoobz said:
Priss said:

blink.gif

Let us know
gbasp.gif

It won't freeze. It won't display firmware version with the microSD, even when I press down+b. It just tries to update to v1.41, but without the microSD it says that it is version 1.4

Posts merged

gratefulbuddy said:
QUOTE(Tanas @ Dec 14 2008, 07:27 PM) The one on the left is identical to the EDGE.

Yeah, my Cyclo looks like the right, my Edge looks like the left.

It sucks if it is the Edge, but with CycloDS Evolution firmware, that'd really suck
Sorry I should have explained better.
Load/install/update a firmware on you SD first. When that is done, launch Cyclo from DS menu.
While it is loading Cyclo, push and hold (down+b).

Nathan-NL

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ow, one note more..

A quite long time ago I ordered a Cyclo for my sis' and a while after that order I ordered one for myself.

She got older Hardware Version and I got a newer one, so..I'm happy
biggrin.gif

---

The shop doesn't have to give you a newer one, just give the christmas present, it's okay
wink.gif

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Homebrewnoobz said:
It sucks if it is the Edge, but with CycloDS Evolution firmware, that'd really suckNot possible, as the edge lacks the onboard memory on which the Cyclo fw is stored.

QUOTE(NavadeHo @ Dec 14 2008, 07:37 PM) That other one on the left is an older hardware version, maybe some restock that webshop still had then back in time,
I doubt that. I have a cyclo from the first batch of blacks almost a year ago. It looks like the right.

EDIT: This might be another piece of evidence that Cyclo and EDGE both come from same manufacturer.

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
gratefulbuddy said:
Homebrewnoobz said:
It sucks if it is the Edge, but with CycloDS Evolution firmware, that'd really suckNot possible, as the edge lacks the onboard memory on which the Cyclo fw is stored.

QUOTE(NavadeHo @ Dec 14 2008, 07:37 PM) That other one on the left is an older hardware version, maybe some restock that webshop still had then back in time,
I doubt that. I have a cyclo from the first batch of blacks almost a year ago. It looks like the right.
All black Cyclo's are v1.1
Hence why they came out with the black color.. to mark a new hardware version.

Homebrewnoobz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Priss, thanks for your help. I updated to firmware v1.51. I pressed and held down+b, but it does not do anything it just slows down and takes me to the main menu. When I get to the main menu, my DS battery goes red, well the indicator anyways.

Sorry if I am frustrating you.

Posts merged

Homebrewnoobz said:
When I get to the main menu, my DS battery goes red, well the indicator anyways.

It only goes red on the main menu

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Priss said:
All black Cyclo's are v1.1Thats was my point. Even the very first black carts looked like the one on the right. So if anything the one on the left might be a newer Cyclo using a new case similar to the EDGE, but not an "older restock".

QUOTE(Priss @ Dec 14 2008, 07:48 PM) Hence why they came out with the black color.. to mark a new hardware version.
Why then is there also v1.1 in white?

Homebrewnoobz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My battery indicator goes red for a few seconds on the main menu, even on a low brightness setting, but changes to green a few seconds later.

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Homebrewnoobz said:
Priss, thanks for your help. I updated to firmware v1.51. I pressed and held down+b, but it does not do anything it just slows down and takes me to the main menu. When I get to the main menu, my DS battery goes red, well the indicator anyways.

Sorry if I am frustrating you.

Posts merged

Homebrewnoobz said:
When I get to the main menu, my DS battery goes red, well the indicator anyways.

It only goes red on the main menu
It's read because your DS is almost dead.. Plug in the charger.
To see the black screen with the hardwre version I speak of you must do this rather quick.
Take it from the top
-DS menu (3 options) Cyclo / Download Play / Picto
-Click on Cyclo and right away after pushing Cyclo press and hold (down+b)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've always been kind to @AncientBoi