Hacking Did I just kill my DS?

longname

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried to flash my DS (without it being plugged in). I tried to do the flashing trick with a paper clip, but it shut off almost immediately. Now it won't even turn on, or charge. I think I might need a new battery, but is there a way to see if I need one or is there some way around calling up Nintendo to get a new one? I really hope, if anything, it's only the battery and not the whole DS.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm.. Sounds like your DS is bricked...

Sending it to Nintendo? What excuse are you gonna use for a bricked DS?
tongue.gif

~Nero

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know if any of the emergency recovery code got written? Even if 1-3% of the flashing process got completed, there's a chance you can be saved.

I'd suggest, rather than sending it to Nintendo, sending it to this SCdev member who will use the BIOS swap method to recover your firmware, and then flash it himself if you want him to. It'll cost a bit of money, but it would probably be a good idea.

http://www.scdev.org/forum/index.php?topic=2648.0 has the information about it.

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to make you feel even worse, I flashed mine successfully a few weeks ago
biggrin.gif
I lost contact with the tool I was shorting it with several times during the flashing process. If yours won't even turn on it could be one of the newer DS Lites that are bricked if you don't do it correctly first time.

The fuse blows and now so does your DS.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
What Flash cart do you have?

What veresion of Flashme Were you using?

If you take all cards out of your DS, and Hold Start+Select while turning on your DS, does the power light blink?

longname

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thanks for the advice, everyone.

Looking at it now, it's pretty much completely bricked. I suppose I could try to send it to the guy that DanTheMan mentioned. It seems like it's be a blown fuse with all of these symptoms. I'm just angry that I did this and screwed up so badly. Anyway, thanks a lot guys.

To clarify I was using an R4 with the latest version of FlashMe. It doesn't respond at all to anything I do, except when plugging my DS into its charger, I can turn it on for a fraction of a second. But, anyway, I should have done my research, now I know better. At least used DS's aren't too horribly expensive, if worst comes to worst
frown.gif

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
(Ironically I was trying to flash it so I wouldn't end up bricking it)

sorry but i have no idea what kinda research you did but the R4 does not in any way have the slightest chance of bricking your ds.. nor is there a super ds trojan virus that will do it...

i still have no idea why you were flashing it.. i flashed mine about 2 months ago, only because i still had a old-school supercard lite to use with a new ice blue ds i bought from japan >

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
flashing a DS means you won't have problems with download play. If both DS's are flashed download play WILL work.

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of recovery code but from what you've said it looks like the DS has no-chance.

What happened exaclty? you tried to flash a DS lite and made contact with the metal that shuts the DS down?
To be honest man bad luck, but seriously there has been one bricker file made about 2 years ago.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only solution to a bricked DS is to swap BIOS and reflash firmware, and this can't be done if something else has broken too.

Brickers are hardly an issue anymore; I don't think there has been a case reported for a long time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh