Apple did I buy a 2g not 3g??

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have an ipod touch 2g MC model, it has the same hardware as a normal 2g model (MB) but it's considered a 3rd gen anyway.
Your model is supported, but won't be for long. (probably until ios 5)

pikachu945

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
metamaster said:
You have an ipod touch 2g MC model, it has the same hardware as a normal 2g model (MB) but it's considered a 3rd gen anyway.

hmm so it has 256mb of ram???
like it said on wikipedia? unlike the 2g has 128mb

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pikachu945 said:
metamaster said:

hmm so it has 256mb of ram???
like it said on wikipedia? unlike the 2g has 128mb

Nope, Your model has the 128MB of RAM. Since it is the same hardware as the old iPod touch 2G. Just harder to jailbreak

pikachu945

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dialexio said:
It is indeed an iPod touch 2G (not 3G, but it does have the new bootrom). So therefore, it unfortunately only has 128 MB of RAM.

lol what is a bootrom? and I thought 2g MC models are 3rd gen

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
pikachu945 said:
Nope, a 2G is a 2G. No exceptions.

The bootrom is the first piece of code that the device uses. Exploits in the bootrom are sought after, because Apple can't patch it on already-shipped devices. The "new bootrom" has a bootrom exploit patched.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
3rd Gen 8GB models have the innards from a 2nd Gen. Processor speed, RAM etc. but they have a fixed BootROM which removed an exploit found in the 2nd Gens which was used to jailbreak it. As far as jailbreaking is concerned they count as 2G MC models (2nd GEN hardware with 3rd gen bootROM)

The BootROM is the first code that the iPod launches to boot. It contains the stuff about recovery mode and DFU mode.

pikachu945

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dialexio said:
pikachu945 said:

The bootrom is the first piece of code that the device uses. Exploits in the bootrom are sought after, because Apple can't patch it on already-shipped devices. The "new bootrom" has a bootrom exploit patched.

so did I waste 190 bucks for nothing? lol
and will IOS 5 be supported?

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pikachu945 said:
Dialexio said:
pikachu945 said:

so did I waste 190 bucks for nothing? lol
There's no way to tell for sure. It's likely that it won't.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably not, since every new ios version requires more ram. When ios 4 was released, ipod touch 1g and the original iphone became unsupported. We can only guess what will happen when ios 5 comes out (along with a batch of new devices)

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
3rd Gen 8GB models have the innards from a 2nd Gen. Processor speed, RAM etc. but they have a fixed BootROM which removed an exploit found in the 2nd Gens which was used to jailbreak it. As far as jailbreaking is concerned they count as 2G MC models (2nd GEN hardware with 3rd gen bootROM)

The BootROM is the first code that the iPod launches to boot. It contains the stuff about recovery mode and DFU mode.
Not quite... it's an iPod touch 2G in every aspect. The hardware is different, and so are the bootroms (which even have different exploits).
wink.gif

QUOTE(pikachu945 @ Nov 3 2010, 06:52 PM) so did I waste 190 bucks for nothing? lol
$190 is a bit pricey for an iPod touch 2G, especially since it's discontinued and quite outdated. I wouldn't exactly say it was wasted though.

I expect iOS 5.x to include iPod touch 2G support, but have its feature set limited (like how multitasking is disabled in iOS 4.x).

$uPeRJjS&#0

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't we feel lonered when Apple leaves us behind. I don't want iPod touch 2g to die, unless we can add the iOS5 to the 2nd gen, For eg, multitasking and battery percentage and background got added on iPod touch 2g.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.