Did I brick with a generic sd card from geek?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 143Heynow, Jun 21, 2017.

1. 143Heynow
    OP

143Heynow Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    so I bought a 128gb from geek and used it with the 3ds guide and a N3DS. Everything was working fine and I got a few titles and it must have reached the point of the cards true capacity. Even though my card still says 117 gb still available. I have installed boot9strap and updated to 11.4 and I've noticed if I take the sd card out the system won't start. I've tried to drop and drag contents to a new sd card and that don't work either to make it start again. If I put the bad card in it will boot. so my question is how can I turn on my 3ds without a sd card in and is the sd card now my OS. And how can I transfer bad sd card to a good sd card?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's normal that it won't boot without a SD card.
    You need to follow https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS
    I don't know why the new card doesn't work though. What kind of store is Geek, is it a local one?
    Edit: You said it's a generic card. It's highly likely it has a fake capacity. Have you tested it with h2testw or FakeFlashTest? I suggest doing that and posting the results. h2testw takes a while though, FakeFlashTest is faster but less thorough and it wipes your SD card. Both of them should be able to detect a fake card though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jun 21, 2017
  3. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    If you actually followed the guide you would have copied boot.firm to the NAND to be able to boot without a SD card.

4. 143Heynow
    OP

143Heynow Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    I thought I did but if not can I still do that

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Geek is a cheap online store from china. I got another card and used fake flash test and it's good but I still need to fix the sd card boot issue thanks for the reply

5. HugaTheFox

HugaTheFox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Try redownloading the boot.firm

6. 143Heynow
    OP

143Heynow Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    Thanks I'll try when I get home

7. 143Heynow
    OP

143Heynow Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    I replaced the boot.firm now the system won't boot at all I press power and get a flashing blue light:(

8. HugaTheFox

HugaTheFox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Try a different sd

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Make sure you're using the right version of Luma. 8.0 requires Boot9Strap 1.2, 7.1 requires Boot9Strap 1.0.