Hardware Did I break my C nub?

Dr_Mad_Maxwell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Doing the PSP analog mod I bought around 5 generic pieces and forced them all one by one on my c-stick (after removing the original nub) and none got to my liking (they all wobbled). I did this because I bought an Insten branded one and I did not like the results (wobbly, altough in hindsight it was the best of the bunch).

I even ordered some 3D printed ones with a square hole which did not wobble at all! But, it sticks in movement when I press left or right, the generic branded ones are doing this as well. I also broke my only Insten cap trying to mold a square shaped hole with pliers.

I ordered some new Insten batch, but they're taking months to arrive because I live in Brazil.

What should I do? I've been thinking in some options:

1 - Wait for the Instens to arrive, try them all one by one and if that doesn't solve the problem, try gluing it with semi permanent glue as some forum posts suggested.

2 - Replace the C-stick board.

3 - Reinstall the original nub and check if problem persists (altough I'm a bit lazy to open my 3DS once again).

Please help! Even tough I could afford a brand new 3DS if I wanted, I'm really fond of the one I have and want it to be perfect.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the n3DS does not have custom firmware, hack it: 3ds.hacks.guide

Run the 3DSident-GUI app and press (START) + (SELECT) to open the button tester mode. Observe the c-stick's (X,Y) values when it's in neutral position and when pressing all the directions.
If the inputs are not (0000, 0000) at neutral or does not reach ±146 at full tilt (up,down,left,right), that means the c-stick's strain gages within the module are damaged and will need to be replaced. Test the c-stick without a cap or nub attached to it to get good readings.

In case the c-stick needs to be replaced,
Because of bad luck with the Insten PSP-1000 cap, I suggest switching over to the Lenovo super low-profile TrackPoint nub.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, great answer.

Is there a Lenovo nub in any other color rather than red? That is the only downside from it.
Custom 3D printed trackpoints by Saoto. Pick the ones that offer 'Super Low Profile' option.
There's also the low tech solution of dying the rubber or colorizing it with a permanent marker. Might not work as a long term solution.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: peteruk

Dr_Mad_Maxwell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wanted to say that 3DSident-GUI was showing my C-nub was indeed crazy. I ordered a new internal piece, changed it and now it's fixed. I probably destroyed the strain gauges indeed.

I endend up using the 3D printed nub I said before, since it was the best fit with no noticeable wobble. Here's the piece: thingiverse thing:2499529

I also ordered the Lenovo from Etsy you showed, but since it's coming from Japan it may be a while until it arrives.

In my experience: 3D printed nub >> Insten PSP Nub >> Generic PSP Nub

Thanks for everything Turd.

The only weird thing I found was that when testing C-stick calibratrion, the upper-left movement seems more sensitive than the rest. With just a little pressure it goes at high speed from left to up. I didn't find any issue while playing MHU4 with this, although knowing it bothers me a little.

Last edited by Dr_Mad_Maxwell,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only weird thing I found was that when testing C-stick calibratrion, the upper-left movement seems more sensitive than the rest. With just a little pressure it goes at high speed from left to up. I didn't find any issue while playing MHU4 with this, although knowing it bothers me a little.
Separately coat the c-stick area and cap hole with a q-tip and dry silicone lube. Don't use any other lubricants as those can ruin paint and plastic. This should loosen friction for a more even directional sensitive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1