Hacking Did I back up my NAND correctly?

NovaPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I figured I'd give the Smash leak a go but decided to back up my NAND before doing so I could restore my Switch back to a pre-hacked status. I used Hekate to back up my Boot 0 and 1 and I did a full raw GPP back, but I think I may have forgotten to do the SYS and User partition backups... because when I went to use the jointer script, I let it run to completion and my NAND backup file is only 27GB. I tried to restore it and it said the "SD Card Backup does not match eMMC's selected part size."

Am I screwed? Is there any way to remove any trace of the hack with the files I have?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NovaPrime,

Psychoticgamer92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured I'd give the Smash leak a go but decided to back up my NAND before doing so I could restore my Switch back to a pre-hacked status. I used Hekate to back up my Boot 0 and 1 and I did a full raw GPP back, but I think I may have forgotten to do the SYS and User partition backups... because when I went to use the jointer script, I let it run to completion and my NAND backup file is only 27GB. I tried to restore it and it said the "SD Card Backup does not match eMMC's selected part size."

Am I screwed? Is there any way to remove any trace of the hack with the files I have?

Thanks in advance.
I'm having the same issue. Cant figure out why though.

NovaPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having the same issue. Cant figure out why though.

I've been digging while I wait for a reply... Based on what I saw from Draxzelex's reply in this thread:
/did-i-do-the-backup-correctly.521320/ (can't post the link)

...I should have what I need.

However, I saw in another post that sometimes, if there isn't enough space on the SD card to create a full back up, it will do a Partial Complete. Now I don't remember if that's what it said at the time, but I only have 12 2GB files, when I think I should have 14. So I may be missing two parts.

I'm wondering... If I do another backup, take the missing two parts and use that with the joiner script with the 12 I already have, will I have a working backup file, or will it cause problems? Only solution I can think of.

How large is your backup file? In total mine is 27GB. I think it needs to be between 29 and 32GB....

Psychoticgamer92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been digging while I wait for a reply... Based on what I saw from Draxzelex's reply in this thread:

However, I saw in another post that sometimes, if there isn't enough space on the SD card to create a full back up, it will do a Partial Complete. Now I don't remember if that's what it said at the time, but I only have 12 2GB files, when I think I should have 14. So I may be missing two parts.

I'm wondering... If I do another backup, take the missing two parts and use that with the joiner script with the 12 I already have, will I have a working backup file, or will it cause problems? Only solution I can think of.

How large is your backup file? In total mine is 27GB. I think it needs to be between 29 and 32GB....
I'll have to check when I get home. I know it changes when I combine them the single file is small then it gets bigger after I put it into the restore folder which I find strange

cyndor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is all in the hekate sticky...

2. Using a FAT32 or an exFAT with smaller space than 29.1GiB:
This will trigger the automatic partial backup.
In this mode it will start backing up in 2GB parts or in 1GB if you have 8GB and smaller card.
It backups your eMMC, until it fills your card. It also uses a file called partial.idx, so it know which is the next part to backup.
When this is done you will see a similar message like the following procedure:
  1. After the session is done, press any key and Power off or Reboot rcm (if you want to skip step 3) Switch from the main menu
  2. Move the files from SD card to your PC to free some space
    Don't move the partial.idx file! This file, keeps tabs on which is the next part to backup.
  3. Unplug and re-plug USB while pressing Vol+ (skip if you rebooted into rcm from hekate's main menu)
  4. Run hekate_ctcaer_1.5.1.bin again and press Backup eMMC RAW GPP to continue with the next parts.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 until you have 15 2GiB or 30 1GB files
  6. Join the files with your favorite cmd/app or use the scripts provided
For step 6, there are also scripts inside a zip, provided in the download link below. Choose the correct one based on the parts size (15 x 2GB or 30 x 1GB) and based on your OS.
Notice 1: Users that have a 8GB SD card and less, it will automatically backups with 1GB parts.
Notice 2: If you have an unfinished partial backup and want to start anew, delete the partial.idx file first.
Warning: When backing up the eMMC, in parts, you should not power on the switch normally and boot to Switch OS before done. Otherwise your finished backup will probably corrupt, because Switch OS writes on your eMMC even if it seems you done nothing.

NovaPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is all in the hekate sticky...

2. Using a FAT32 or an exFAT with smaller space than 29.1GiB:
This will trigger the automatic partial backup.
In this mode it will start backing up in 2GB parts or in 1GB if you have 8GB and smaller card.
It backups your eMMC, until it fills your card. It also uses a file called partial.idx, so it know which is the next part to backup.
When this is done you will see a similar message like the following procedure:
  1. After the session is done, press any key and Power off or Reboot rcm (if you want to skip step 3) Switch from the main menu
  2. Move the files from SD card to your PC to free some space
    Don't move the partial.idx file! This file, keeps tabs on which is the next part to backup.
  3. Unplug and re-plug USB while pressing Vol+ (skip if you rebooted into rcm from hekate's main menu)
  4. Run hekate_ctcaer_1.5.1.bin again and press Backup eMMC RAW GPP to continue with the next parts.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 until you have 15 2GiB or 30 1GB files
  6. Join the files with your favorite cmd/app or use the scripts provided
For step 6, there are also scripts inside a zip, provided in the download link below. Choose the correct one based on the parts size (15 x 2GB or 30 x 1GB) and based on your OS.
Notice 1: Users that have a 8GB SD card and less, it will automatically backups with 1GB parts.
Notice 2: If you have an unfinished partial backup and want to start anew, delete the partial.idx file first.
Warning: When backing up the eMMC, in parts, you should not power on the switch normally and boot to Switch OS before done. Otherwise your finished backup will probably corrupt, because Switch OS writes on your eMMC even if it seems you done nothing.

I never had a partial.idx file. Just 13 rawnand.bin.00-12 files.

Psychoticgamer92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mine is 30.536 gigs

NovaPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup and no partial idx file either.

From what I've read then, you should be OK.... Not sure why it's not working.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK... For a Plan B... What would happen if I just do a factory reset before I go back online? It's been in airplane mode this whole time, so that should be fine right? I mean, I'd lose my Splatoon 2 save, which would suck, but there wouldn't be any traces of the hack would there?

I would just really appreciate if I could save my Splatoon 2 data...

Psychoticgamer92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read then, you should be OK.... Not sure why it's not working.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK... For a Plan B... What would happen if I just do a factory reset before I go back online? It's been in airplane mode this whole time, so that should be fine right? I mean, I'd lose my Splatoon 2 save, which would suck, but there wouldn't be any traces of the hack would there?

I would just really appreciate if I could save my Splatoon 2 data...
I wouldnt think so I've been on airplane the whole time too I'd do a factory reset as well. Haha how do you do that?

Psychoticgamer92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hit a snag... In order to factory reset, you need to connect to the internet to unlink the accounts.

The option is found in System > Formatting Settings BTW.
I cant even load into my system lmao I restored boot 0/1 then went to do the other and got that error now it doesnt boot. So I can only access rcm

NovaPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant even load into my system lmao I restored boot 0/1 then went to do the other and got that error now it doesnt boot. So I can only access rcm

I did the same, but I can still boot into the normal firmware... From what I've read, that issue is caused by a firmware mismatch. Did you update the firmware after doing your back up?

Psychoticgamer92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the same, but I can still boot into the normal firmware... From what I've read, that issue is caused by a firmware mismatch. Did you update the firmware after doing your back up?
No my girlfriend "accidentally" updated to 6.2 my band backup is of 6.1.0 and so I feel like I'm doomed for eternity.

NovaPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No my girlfriend "accidentally" updated to 6.2 my band backup is of 6.1.0 and so I feel like I'm doomed for eternity.

Yeahhh... no idea on that one. Sorry... :(

EDIT: So basically from everything I've checked so far.. My NAND backup was incomplete and I can't restore my NAND. I've removed the NSP file, but that's not going to matter because it will be in the history. I can do a factory reset, but that's not going to remove the traces of the hack?

Guys... Am I screwed?

Last edited by NovaPrime,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Did they make a tomb raider for N64?