Hacking Did Gateway just copy the "Select Games" menu from MT-Card and incorporate it into their 2.0 "Omega"

vinhdt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that MT-Card has both the hardware multi-rom support button and the in-menu software multi-rom support from their "Select Games" menu. Did Gateway just copy MT-Card ideas and placed it on their 2.0 "Omega"? Most likely, MT-Card will look at the new Gateway launcher.dat and modified it. They will probably have another launcher.dat that will support exFAT and the new "Select Games" like Gateway.

Go MT-Card. I'm waiting for your updated launcher.dat soon.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know that MT-Card has both the hardware multi-rom support button and the in-menu software multi-rom support from their "Select Games" menu. Did Gateway just copy MT-Card ideas and placed it on their 2.0 "Omega"?

No they are completely different. Far as I know MT's menu is a text based one from the profile exploit. Gateway's is a gui one that pops up anytime you press select on the 3ds menu and shows icons etc.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I know that MT-Card has both the hardware multi-rom support button and the in-menu software multi-rom support from their "Select Games" menu. Did Gateway just copy MT-Card ideas and placed it on their 2.0 "Omega"? Most likely, MT-Card will look at the new Gateway launcher.dat and modified it. They will probably have another launcher.dat that will support exFAT and the new "Select Games" like Gateway.

Go MT-Card. I'm waiting for your updated launcher.dat soon.

Honestly, MT-card's select game menu is so basic, it's like it copied R4.

GW's menu is much more preferred, cause the change is outside..

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But you realize that MT had MultiROM already on the third day (officialy fourth day) of this year, right?
Yes, and though MT-Card's team did modify the launcher and make it their own for the most part, it is still based on Gateway's launcher. They added a hardware-based Multi-ROM solution through their card, and not a true software solution.

I'm not discrediting MT-Card's achievements, they did bring out a solution first, but Gateway made their own implementation of it, and it is almost certainly not a copy in any way, shape, or form.

vinhdt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that MT-Card's launcher is a modified Gateway launcher first and foremost, right?

Everyone knew about that but did Gateway this time copied the multi-rom support from MT-Card. Well, they did because MT-Card is the first cart that has multi-rom support.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you realize that MT had MultiROM already on the third day (officialy fourth day) of this year, right?
You mean the hardware-solution multiROM, AKA not at all similar to Gateway's implementation and developed several months after Gateway had already been released? There was no "copying" by GW going on here, it would be impossible for Gateway to physically alter the existing cards to reproduce MT-Card's implementation -- and there'd be no reason to, as seen by their latest release.
And @OP, there is no in-system-menu GUI for MT-card, it's just pressing up or down on the cartridge icon.

Everyone knew about that but did Gateway this time copied the multi-rom support from MT-Card. Well, they did because MT-Card is the first cart that has multi-rom support.
Uhhh, no. Implementation is software-based instead of MT's hardware solution, and MultiROM was not MT's original idea (it's a concept that's been around since the first carts of the original video game consoles), there is no code at all copied by GW from MT.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Erm, GW has already said it had plans for Multi-rom, so simply because MT-card beat them to the bush,
and GW came up with a totally software solution that imho is superior, it's copying?

Multi-rom is a feature people all want.
It's not about who copy who,
it's about who can implement it better :)

Look at cellphone wars.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...and they work very different ways. You don't need to clone someone else's work to have your own implementation of it. If Gateway had cloned MT-Card, they wouldn't have a graphical menu for starters. No matter how you look at it, it's almost certainly not cloned in any way, besides its offered functionality perhaps.

Reactions: Starry Windy

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You mean the hardware-solution multiROM, AKA not at all similar to Gateway's implementation and developed several months after Gateway had already been released? There was no "copying" by GW going on here, it would be impossible for Gateway to physically alter the existing cards to reproduce MT-Card's implementation -- and there'd be no reason to, as seen by their latest release.
And @OP, there is no in-system-menu GUI for MT-card, it's just pressing up or down on the cartridge icon.

Uhhh, no. Implementation is software-based instead of MT's hardware solution, and MultiROM was not MT's original idea (it's a concept that's been around since the first carts of the original video game consoles), there is no code at all copied by GW from MT.
And you all don't even own a MT to check it. I say that it's not more or less software based than GW's implementation, only with different Hotkeys. It appears that you know not much about programming since you say that it would be impossible for GW to implement MT's functions. It's just a button on the MT-Card, almost like a button of the 3DS.
My last point in this threat before the GW fanboys tear me in the air:
MT has a gui, too. Since the beginning.
uy91.jpg
1zzs234.jpg

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People must really start to understand that who copied what and where is of no relevant matter to the consumer. Quite a few things in the DS scene were based on only a few things made by a couple of people. Was there as much bitching as there is now about who was first and by what means?

No.

WoodR4? Most clones use this in one way or another. AKAIO? Quite a few clones use this in one way or another (even the original AceKard team recommends AKAIO). If someone wants to believe in the team behind Gateway, good for them. I'd rather the community had some ways of improving the work of these people. That's how the DS scene prospered in many ways including DLDI patching, which removed the need to patch files running on the carts..

Reactions: Queno138

vinhdt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. It's all good for the scene to improve on current functions like multi-rom support and exFAT support. The only thing I disapprove is the implement of the bricking codes. That's way over the board and not good for the scene.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree with Qtis, it doesn't matter who copies or clones what - what matters is that carts get support and the users get to enjoy features they really want. Ultimately all that counts is who does what better.

Sparticus515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, let's scratch the last part. But it's still not that hard for GW to "move" the action from the MT button to the DS button.

It would be quite hard, converting some native 3DS input is much harder than just adding a button straight to the card, less igneous maybe but harder.

blitzar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway was the first card to demo their multirom support on Youtube. Not only that but the current multirom they use is the same as the initial video that was released a number of months back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: