Hacking Did anyone get one an Acekard?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,686
  • Replies 17
D

Deleted User

OP
Did anyone get an Acekard? How good is it? Or is it a rotten piece of junk?

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Well it's the only DS cart with 100% compatability ie it plays EVERY legitimate DS Rom out there, but apparently it's not so good if you wanna develop your own homebrew.
wacko.gif

I'm still waiting to see how good the new batch of slot ones are.
unsure.gif

R4DS seems to be in the lead at the moment.
grog.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have an AceKard and it's no junk. If you want a card that can play all NDS games and don't care you need a program to get stuff on it and that most homebrew will probably never work on it, then this is a nice choice.
I think that for most people R4DS is a better choice though, as it doesn't need weird file systems and seem to have perfect compatibility too. As for the homebrew, for all slot1 cartridges it's still waiting which will be best supported. I think EZ5 (And NinjaDS?) has a pretty good chance as they already released files for the homebrewers to use FATLib and such, but atm I don't think any Slot1 cartridge, except for DS-X, supports homebrew too well...

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
This Acekard forum seems totally useless after all.

There's zero topic about it... doesn't mean the Acekard sucks, it may also mean that no Acekard user has the least problem with it
smile.gif

who knows!

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I second monkey01's opinion. I have 3 Acekards, one for me, 2 for my kids. All work perfectly. I also work with 3 other people who have an Acekard.

That said, I have order a supercard as well for Homebrew use only. I think it a good way to do it, got 1 gig on the Acekard for games and going to have 2 gig on the supercard for homebrew + music.

7llusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I got one and I think that it was a good buy, I've had no problems until now and I think I never will since it has 100% compabilty.
But I'm a bit disappointed about the no homebrew fact...
Illusion

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm hesitant to buy one. What i really hope for is a card similar to acekard (in the 100% future proof compatability) but with a better build and ease of use. (perhaps fat/fat32). plus perfect downloadplay would be a big plus.

homebrew and gba are already well covered for me with my slot 2 card.

putamierda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I'm hesitant to buy one. What i really hope for is a card similar to acekard (in the 100% future proof compatability) but with a better build and ease of use. (perhaps fat/fat32). plus perfect downloadplay would be a big plus.

You can wait for a better cart, but for it's price, I couldn't be more happy with its performance.
It plays all the games flawlessly, it saves and it works just great, and it's incredibly easy to use.
It amuses me when people complain about not being drag and drop compatible, and talk about it's transfer software as something bad.
Ok, so only people with windows can use this (who doesn't have access to a windows pc nowadays?) and ok, you need to use their own program in order to load games, but I'm glad, since the program makes things easier.
For example, windows XP supports drag and drop directly to a CD, but I haven't use it even once, I always use Nero, why? because the program gives me more options and control than simply copy/paste/burn into a CD. Sure, it's easier to simply copy, but I like to be in control and have more options, so I always use Nero.
With the acekard is the same, the program (it works like a charm, no glitches nor bugs) gives me more options and control, and the team behind the card are constantly improving and updating the program, adding more features and updating the savelist.
It's not the best cart, but in my opinion gives a great quality/price relation, and a great performance.
Of course I enjoy this cart so much since I don't care about download play and about homebrew, where I understand this card is not so great.
biggrin.gif

I simply play commercial DS games, and acekard is great for that.
yaynds.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

You can wait for a better cart, but for it's price, I couldn't be more happy with its performance.
It plays all the games flawlessly, it saves and it works just great, and it's incredibly easy to use.
It amuses me when people complain about not being drag and drop compatible, and talk about it's transfer software as something bad.
Ok, so only people with windows can use this (who doesn't have access to a windows pc nowadays?) and ok, you need to use their own program in order to load games, but I'm glad, since the program makes things easier.
For example, windows XP supports drag and drop directly to a CD, but I haven't use it even once, I always use Nero, why? because the program gives me more options and control than simply copy/paste/burn into a CD. Sure, it's easier to simply copy, but I like to be in control and have more options, so I always use Nero.
With the acekard is the same, the program (it works like a charm, no glitches nor bugs) gives me more options and control, and the team behind the card are constantly improving and updating the program, adding more features and updating the savelist.
It's not the best cart, but in my opinion gives a great quality/price relation, and a great performance.
Of course I enjoy this cart so much since I don't care about download play and about homebrew, where I understand this card is not so great.
biggrin.gif

I simply play commercial DS games, and acekard is great for that.
yaynds.gif

just to clear up that you didn't get my view wrong. what i really mean is that i like acekard alot, but i will probably be waiting for a better solution.
your points are good, and i agree with them.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

The cart your looking for does not exists. The R4/M3Simply I believe have 100% future proof compatibility and use FAT(32). The problem lies within the downloadplay compatibility. There's no cart having perfect download play compatibility, ds-x gets close, but doesn't support yoshi t&g and snowboard kids either for download play. Also ds-x doesn't have 100% future proof compatibility as animal crossing doesn't work. Download play compatibility for AceKard, EZ-Flash V, M3 Simply and R4 are the same I believe, all not supporting dp-games like Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Metroid, etc.

@putamierda:
The program isn't buggy anymore as it was when the gbatemp review was released yes. But still a normal FAT32 drag and drop system is way easier.
When deleting a file in AKManager between different files, you get another free filespace, which you need to fill up with something of the same size. Normal FAT/FAT32 things just have one total free filespace.
Also this is not really comparable with DVD writing and nero. With drag and drop of roms you don't need a program for writing iso images, printing cd labels, creating a special DVD movie project or anything like that. You just put the roms on there and play, it's as easy as putting the files on an usb flashmemstickthingy.

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Like Monkey01 says, I don't think there will be a cartridge with 100% download play any time soon. The problem seems to lie in the fact that the download is encrypted and no-one has figured out how to crack it. I'm sure in time they will, but honestly, this card costs 26 pounds sterling which is ridiculously cheap and it does the business.

With regards to the deleting roms and it leaving space, all I do is copy every file off the acekard into a directory, zap the acekard completely, reorganise the holding directory how I want it then rewrite back to the acekard. you're looking at 30 minutes maximum. With drag and drop functionality probably 10-15. Honestly, is that extra 15-20 mins out of your life so important?

This card works, and it works as advertised, all games work with exception of download play, the card boots fast, and I couldn't give a rats about skinning and flashing LED's.

putamierda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
@OSW: as Monkey01 has said, you might be aiming too high, I mean, this is not a "legitimate" product, so I don't think it's fair to demand such an outstanding features from an underground item like this one, besides, price is almost an insult.

@Monkey01, I think that my example is very valid, since with the program you can update the menu, update the savelist, customize with a skin your menu, and look for updates, so with the software you really have more options, and you control them from the same place, the software. You don't have to wonder arround folders and stuff.
And regarding to the free spots, as davePS has said, I never delete one game, I delete the whole cart and then flash it back again. The writing times are not the ones I experience, though, I have a 2 gig Sandisk card (I can transfer more than 20 games) and it takes 4 minutes tops.
I don't know about you, but I started with the cards in the gameboy color era, buying from Bung it's GB Xchanger, via paralel port, it tool forever to transfer, and it used it's own software.
xchanger_64mset.jpg

That's also why I don't care about the software, I've been using it for years!
biggrin.gif

Ps, leds are gay

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
By ease of use i mean a cleaner nicer gui. I don't care about patching/transfer programs. The specs i suggested is basically an acekard with a nicer gui and physical build, FS with fragmentation support, and if possible download play.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Monkey01, I think that my example is very valid, since with the program you can update the menu, update the savelist, customize with a skin your menu, and look for updates, so with the software you really have more options, and you control them from the same place, the software. You don't have to wonder arround folders and stuff.
And regarding to the free spots, as davePS has said, I never delete one game, I delete the whole cart and then flash it back again. The writing times are not the ones I experience, though, I have a 2 gig Sandisk card (I can transfer more than 20 games) and it takes 4 minutes tops.
I don't know about you, but I started with the cards in the gameboy color era, buying from Bung it's GB Xchanger, via paralel port, it tool forever to transfer, and it used it's own software.
xchanger_64mset.jpg

That's also why I don't care about the software, I've been using it for years!Â
biggrin.gif

Ps, leds are gay

Well, the new menu needs to be downloaded seperately each time you want to update it, so what really is easier? Downloading the menu again, putting it in you acekard manager folder, open the program and search for the update button in the menu, or download the menu and put it straight on your MicroSD cart? And the skinning options... you find it easier to open a program, choose the skinning stuff from the menu, find your files in the acekard file browser which doesn't allow you to go to a path directly, find your bmp, click it, then with the other screen as well and click Ok and stuff... then just putting your bmp's on the cart with windows explorer manually?
And about where I started, with the GBPCLinker, that was one hell of a shitty cart with a cable with on one side a printer port plug and on the other a gb pocket plug. The linking stuff didn't work with the GBC though, so I had to put a GBPocket->GBBig converter between it also. The transfering program was total shit too, but when it worked it worked.

I agree that it mathers more that it works then if it's easy to make it work, but something being easier is still an advantage and I think normal drag and drop is easier, and thus an advantage...

By ease of use i mean a cleaner nicer gui. I don't care about patching/transfer programs. The specs i suggested is basically an acekard with a nicer gui and physical build, FS with fragmentation support, and if possible download play.
And what do you mean with a cleaner gui? Cause R4/M3Simply have about the same GUI (just a file list with back and some text) with as difference it has a main menu too for media and slot2 booting... EZ5 is pretty much the same too I believe, but somewhat more skinnable...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
And what do you mean with a cleaner gui? Cause R4/M3Simply have about the same GUI (just a file list with back and some text) with as difference it has a main menu too for media and slot2 booting... EZ5 is pretty much the same too I believe, but somewhat more skinnable...

looking back, i don't really know what i was talking about... sorry lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: