Did anyone even want/own a Neo Geo console during is time?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    From what i know that was a expensive console, selling at $650 i think last i checked, compared to some other popular cosoles which was way cheaper, it would been smarter to get, but the others with more expensive likt the CDI and 3DO and such which was more expensive than sega, and nintendo, even playstation at the time.

Neo geo was a console made by SNK playmore, which is known for some popular titles like Metal Slug, The last Blade 2 Fatal Fury, Art Of fighting And still continuing series, King of fighters. They made Neo Geo, MVS (Multi Video system = arcade style system that can play multiple games) AES (Advanced entertainment system = Home console) The idea of the Neo geo was to allow Perfect arcade quality of your favorite games in your home on your tv, compared to how other games at the time usually toned down, removed and even refixed some things to work anything like in the arcade. It did deliver the same quality, but at a huge price. The system was released in 1990 (According to wikipedia) and costed over $600 to purchase, and the games itself wasn't any cheaper, at about over $200 a game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the system itself is pretty big, along with the included controller which is just based on the ones you play at arcades, and the cart was huge compared to anything existing at the time and even till this date. Just by looking at it, seem like it took lots of resources to make this perfect arcade converison possible.

Few years later they made neo geo cd, is basically the same thing, except it used Disc instead of carts to play games, which at the time drastically reduced sale cost to make and sell but comes with more common controller than the arcade controller, and introduce load times. Still is has the same arcade quality.

[​IMG]

With prices like that, i wouldn't want it even if my parents would have been the one buying it, the ports to the consoles we had was already enough to satisfy me, even though, at the time, was too busy with sega and nintendo to really see a game get my interest. Now and days, most of the popular neo geo games can just be downloaded. (I mean bought legally and downloaded to play, not common rom and emulator) You can buy them on steam, humble bundle, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, wii virtual consoles in wii shop (Not to be confused with nintendo eshop) Still not every game is available on the services.
    While all this sounds great, I never owned one, and i was curious is anyone HAD or ever WANTED to during is time in the market? Did you own any neo geo console? Doesn't matter if is the pocket one or this console one, just curious if anyone had interest in it "at the time" i must repeat.

2. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I had one... had one ...

3. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    When you say "HAD" did you mean purchased yourself as in paid the ridiculous ammount?:unsure:

Alkéryn likes this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I had a SNES, my family wasn't going to shell out that much money when I had a SNES.

5. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well yeah i know is expensive which is why i asked if anyone even considered buying it. :blink:

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It helps that I didn't even know about it until a few years ago.

7. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh well, i guess, I mean is not such a popular system or topic, the company SNK playmore has what i consider unusual track record. :unsure:

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Never heard of it until back in '08.

9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Nobody I knew bought the thing when it was out. It was very expensive, especially for 90s money. I kinda sorta wanted one, but it wasn't any kind of burning desire. Certainly not $1000 worth in inflation-adjusted desire.

Another bad thing about the system was that it was fighter-centric, and Street Fighter 2 / Mortal Kombat were out at the time and were better games -- despite not being as visually impressive as Neo Geo.

Last edited by zoogie, Oct 21, 2016
  10. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    No since I was not around during the SNK heyday but I did want one once I learned about it in 09 from Nintendo power.

11. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Well my uncle gave me one when i was 6 and my father sell it few years later with all my consoles and games, and the worst part is that he sold all of it for almost nothing and kept all the money ..
    give him a parenting award xD

12. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Sure I wanted one - the games were amazing and I kept drooling on Metal Slug and others until I finally managed to get it running on MAME back in 2000 :P

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  13. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2012
    Still own to this day a Neogeo CD, A pal AES and a 4 slot MVS board ghetto rigged up to a supergun. Awesome console for its day! But damn the games were expensive and the loading times on the CD were dire!

14. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Nope, only I got Metal Slug for AES in my hands.
    Those cartridges are huge!