Gaming Did anyone else think The Last of Us wasn't that great?

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
And you can qualify that... how? If you haven't played the game itself, you can't really "know" if he's right one way or the other.

Dunkey can be hysterical, but just because he makes fun of a game doesn't make it bad. That's like saying a game is bad only because Yahtzee criticized it.

I beat like ten chapters or so, hard to say. Almost got a car in the abondoned city, when it bored me completely. Again, plot is not too intresting, and so is steath.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beat like ten chapters or so, hard to say. Almost got a car in the abondoned city, when it bored me completely. Again, plot is not too intresting, and so is steath.
Should have kept playing.
The end of Summer through Winter is the best in the game.

Reactions: hhs

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe... just maybe... I grew up in a different era of gaming and games like The Last of Us and Uncharted are unappealing. So in my perspective, I am going to say that The Last of US did not meet it's hype.

So I'm going to take pride that we are all different people and not expect everyone to have the same fucking opinion.

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You shouldn't care much about my opinion, but I've played this game and maybe my opinion should be there as well. I think the game is good. Maybe even very good. But unfortunately I feel disappointed by many factors. I'd like to state it clearly, that I'm a classic Resident Evil fan , and my opinion is strongly based on comparing those games with TLOU. Oh, and I beat it on Hard, Survivor playthrough is in progress, but I stopped because unfortunately many things discouraged me from continiung for the time being.

- For the game with such strong emphasis on storytelling, the story isn't anything special. It's good enough to keep the game going, but apart from maybe 2 moments I wasn't on the edge of my seat really.

- I don't like the fact that sometimes the game limits your speed to simply walking. It's bullshit and artifically lenghtens some sequences.

- I don't like the fact that there's only 4 kinds of infected. But in actuality you mostly face 2 kinds - Clickers and Runners. I was expecting some extra challenge in form of bosses or something like that. On my first playthrough when I got to the bloater I was like damn, this is going to be interesing if it'll continue this way. Unfortunately what I got was just more battles with more enemies, and the last hard part with zombies can be skipped if you stealth kill runners. That took away a lot of challenge this game could offer.

- I feel disappointed by the lack of anxiety that most survival horror games deliver. But I can't blame developers much on this point,because people want checkpoints every fucking minute, so I can just go into blast mode and run through all enemies and possibly die without the risk of losing 15 minutes of progress. But as I stated I know it's commonly accepted feature that contemporary gamers want. It really takes away a lot of suspence. I remember on my first playthrough of Resi , I was really focused and thrilled on every door opening animation. What awaits me? 3 Zombies, some crazy new bioweapon, maybe some kind of boss..? I'm on Danger status, I need to stay focused. I can't mess it up, since I saved 20 minutes ago. Just get to the saving room... I have to survive.

-Survivor mode becomes pain in the ass because items don't glow. I know it's to make the game more difficult , but come on , it only forces me to walk around like and idiot and watch the screen for item bubble to pop up.

- The ending is real shit , I couldn't believe that the game will end this way. I was really expecting something more like: Click , but what I got was "I swear". What the hell, how that concludes anything? I got through all this shit and everyting is just as it was. Well, some ppl are dead, and y'know Joel has Ellie now. Fantastic.

- Puzzles are unfortunately repetitive. I know that Resi also had similar puzzles, but that was 15 years ago. IIRC there's only 2 basic kinds of puzzles - find the crate or find the ladder/plank. Oh, once you have to find the card key.( Sorry if I forgot sth, It's been a while since I've played this game ). Even Ellie is pissed then we take her on crate for X'th time near the dam ( or was that power plant , I don't remember exactly )

- Side note : There's only one animation of strangling sb in this game , nobody gives a shit, But ZombiU was criticised because it has only one attack animation. That's fair , right?

Maybe I forgot something, but those are the things that come to my mind right now. Of course all I listed is easily overweigh by tons of good aspects this game has : great graphics, responsive controls , pretty good story, interesting characters, quite good stealth mechanics, good gameplay. It's also a nice game to get yourself softly into the survival horror genre. Unfortunately this game was overhyped and it's undeniable that I do not want survival horror games to go this way - to appeal to wider modern audience of games. At least this game is better than what Resident Evil 6 is... This game is a good, casual action game with an emphasis on story. But it't not a true survival horror game for me.

Reactions: gokujr1000

gokujr1000

OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
>Last of Us
>not great

>Uncharted
>okay

I hate this place.
I haven't played Uncharted yet so I can't comment on this :P

This sounds like a matter of difficulty mode more than anything else. Were you playing on Hard?

If not, there you go.
I played it on hard.

I haven't beaten it yet due to not having time. But I think it's been pretty good so far. I haven't played any of the uncharted games so I don't have anything similar to base a comparison on. But it's an entertaining game in a familiar setting, with a plot that's sort of predictable.

I think the problem with games is that they get so hyped and then some people go into it with these enormous expectations already built up and then they find one or 2 things hey don't enjoy and it drops their experience down a lot more than it should. I found this true for me and Ni No Kuni, I was really excited and then the battle system and pacing turned me off. I only got a little into it, and I hope to finish it soon, but the hype hurt it for me.

As someone noted the SM3DW thread that was going on, that game is facing a similar situation. It's a Mario game along the same vein as proper 2D plat forming Mario. To me it doesn't have anything too crazy like some of its predecessors, nor does it really make me want to explore each level or replay them more than the needed times, which hasn't been more than once through. Although for some reason it's gotten such great, even amazing reviews, I really can't see how people honestly called it game of the year material. Good for what it is but not life changing.

Apologies for going all over the place. Early morning for me.
I think the hype was probably one of the reasons it got killed for me too. I kind of stopped following the game after it was released though because I knew I'd have to wait until Christmas to play it.

You should try and at least beat the game first. For me the game really didn't pick up until Winter.

Cut down for easier reading
I agree with a lot of your points like puzzles, the types of infected, lack of suspense/anxiety and definitely the walking speed. I couldn't understand why the walking would be adjusted so many times. There should at least been an option that you could set for a usual walking speed.

Reactions: WoJjTeK

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I'm just gonna boil this down:
  • Story isn't anything special: That's a matter of opinion but it's generally praised for a pretty great story and environment. I disagree but I can't really make an opinion a fact here.
  • Speed limits: You mean like when there's cinematic stuff? Like scenes that slow your speed so you can walk and take in the environment and dialogue? Or make the game seem more human because you wouldn't always jog around in real life? Pretty sure it's for immersion.
  • Well it's not so much a zombie game as it is a survival game. You'll spend plenty more time fighting bandits as you will infected. For the situations they give you and for their variety of strengths of weaknesses, it works out.
  • Lack of anxiety: Uhh... Like story I can't exactly convince you but there was plenty of suspense.
  • Survivor mode: Turn it on an easier difficulty then. Harder difficulties in games like this try to make it as real as possible. Hell the Hunter mode or whatever the hardest difficulty is in Metro: Last Light takes away like everything. You don't even have a HUD.
  • Shit ending: Can't really convince you otherwise but I disagree.
  • Puzzles: Admittedly the puzzles are kinda shit. Ladder Mover Simulator 2013
  • Animation: ZombiU was criticized for being shit. There's a variety of animations for other actions i the game.
Also, this is far from an "action game."

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So now none can dislike The Last of Us? If the guy didn't like he didn't like it. Thats simple

I haven't played it but it looks interesting(I love the Uncharted series) not a must play for me and it doesn't look like a masterpiece like everyone is saying but someday I will play it.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got the Last of Us for Christmas and I just beat the game today and my thought upon completion was simply, "that was okay I guess". The game had a decent story, a sense of completion, a satisfying ending that can be interpreted in different ways and the graphics were what I'd expect in a PS3 game that was released as late as it was.

But aside from those things the game really didn't deserve the amount of hype it received. The story like I just said was decent but it wasn't as amazing as everyone claimed it was. I didn't grow attached to anyone except Joel and Ellie or really feel any sort of emotion towards anyone else. When people got out of things safely I didn't care and when people died I didn't care. The game just didn't give me enough time with any of the supporting characters for me to grow an attachment.

This just means you are normal and able to differentiate between imaginary situations (which don't matter a flying fuck) and real life situations (which do).

That, or borderline sociopathic. I forget which.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I borrowed this game from a friend a month back and knew of all the hype. I thought it was a great game, I played though the storyline and enjoyed it throughly. I hope to buy it eventually and play through survival mode.
I enjoyed the ending, because it shows you you're not really the good guy you thought you were.
It's not Walking Dead. The only thing these games have in common is zombies and a good story. I didn't find this game scary, but I'm not that sensitive to that kind of thing. I can see why people thing it's one of the best PS3 games.

Reactions: gokujr1000

gokujr1000

OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
This just means you are normal and able to differentiate between imaginary situations (which don't matter a flying fuck) and real life situations (which do).

That, or borderline sociopathic. I forget which.

For me that part was really like I said, I didn't get enough time with the supporting characters to care about where they ended up. Whether it be surviving or dying. It seemed like as soon as I'd begin to get to know the characters and start to think, "hey this person is cool" they'd just all of a sudden leave or not be there. It started to get really frustrating that this was the normal pattern. Meeting people literally consisted of getting to know them then having them leave the story.

I mean if Ellie or Joel had died I would have cared, I slightly cared about the woman who died in the first part of the game but other than this I didn't get any time at all with the characters to care about them or the impact their deaths had.

Oshae93

Laying Down The Law
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion i loved this game. I read alot of the comments and i mostly agree with GuildMcCommunist ,aside from the story, which i actually like.

In Reply to GokuJr:
Hence the title "The Last of Us" is a survival game which is why you don't really see them build long lasting relationships with other characters. Its survival of the fittest. You wouldnt want to have to be responsible for a middle age man and little girl slowing you down. Even though that middle aged man kicks a**.

Also for some people that said it wasnt scare/action filled
I like the fact that it wasnt just simple cheap zombie/bandit pop up in the camera style of play. It had its semi scary moments and to me the action was throughout the story. This game seem to follow a more realistic zombie type apocalypse , TO ME, than other games like Resident Evil.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fantastic game, not scary tho
I don't think "scary" was the intention, it's more of a tragedy than a horror. ;)
- The ending is real shit , I couldn't believe that the game will end this way. I was really expecting something more like: Click , but what I got was "I swear". What the hell, how that concludes anything? I got through all this shit and everyting is just as it was. Well, some ppl are dead, and y'know Joel has Ellie now. Fantastic.
The ending was perfect.
Joel and Ellie reach the Firefly base, completing their ultimate objective, but it turns out that by handing in Ellie, Joel signs her death sentence - extracting her tumour would kill her in the process. Joel has to make a split-second decision on whether to save humanity from having to live in the world filled with the infected or saving Ellie, with whom he developed an emotional connection.

Throughout the story, Joel's personality gradually changes - at the very beginning he believed that so many people come and go that we shouldn't dwell on their deaths, but as the plot progresses, Joel realizes that there's more to life than that. He single-handedly destroys what could've been humanity's last hope by fighting his way through the Firefly base, and the only consolation he gets is the occasional log pointing out that such experiments were conducted in the past and weren't successful - that being said, with Ellie, chances were high. Joel tries to cling to the idea that he's a good person, that his days as "a bandit" are a distant past, but he finds himself in a situation where there is no "good" solution.

Ellie wakes up from her narcosis and Joel has to lie his way out of the situation. She confronts him by asking whether or not she could've saved the world. Joel realizes that Ellie knew how this could've ended and was ready to face the consequences if it meant the greater good, but he is unable to deal with the emotional weight of the situation. He cares for her so much that he swears, he lies to her to keep her safe, as a father would. Joel figures that there must be another way, some way to fix the world without having to sacrifice Ellie because she means to him more than the whole world.

In my opinion, this was the perfect climax. The characters "went through all this s*it" not only in order to reach the Firefly base but also to go through an internal transformation - Ellie grew up, and in a lot of ways, so did Joel.

Again, this wasn't supposed to scare you in any way, it's not a typical survival horror, it's a tragedy - it focuses on the feelings of the characters and their internal struggles. Hell, at points it's a tear-squeezer - I loved it. :)

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its 9.5 and 10 out of 10 because the rating system is old, broken, and isn't adequate enough to rate games.

Taking IGN as the most obvious example, they break the game down into limited categories and average the rating. The problem with this is the few categories people rate a game as, Last of Us blows right past the rating system and shows how broken 1-10 really is.

If you rate the "presentation" and "production value" then Last of Us dominates. This isn't opinion, this is undebatable fact. Naughty Dog spared no expense at masterfully setting the overall artistic quality of their game.
If you rate "Graphics" then Last of Us is king again. The PS3 is 2005 hardware released in 2006, still being mass enjoyed in 2013-14. Last of Us is easily one of the best looking games, so naturally its no surprise it gets a king-class score.
If you rate "sound" You get the same scenario, as game reviewers and gamers in general can greatly appretiate all the sound effects and musics that set the mood and feel of the entire game. From clanking metal, to gun shots, to soundtracks, Last of Us scores another homerun.
If you rate "Gameplay" then it's still going to be a high rating if the reviewer ever feels like the gameplay is solid, unbroken, and stays consistent in what it tries for all-game long.

What all of this doesn't account for is the taste of the game itself. Even if sound was well done, that doesn't mean people have to like it. Graphics-tards will still criticize the graphics and art and compare them to others, and some people might never get into the flow of gameplay, or the mood the environment is trying to set. If you rate Last of Us by it's individual perks, then its going to dominate the rating system.

The Last of Us is a superb piece of interactive software on the PS3 in all fields, that is an unbiased fact and a huge win for Naughty Dog, but thats still not going to change or conform to everyone's opinions and tastes, especially if the particular audience member is struggling to go along with it. This is not only true for Last of Us, but many other games that have set near-perfect ratings. This is why the 1-10 system is shit because people are always going to debate the 8's, 9's, and 10's. And I don't know how we should start to rate and review video games, but I know 1-10 never worked that well.

Also theres the whole "What?! 9.2?! THATS TOO LOW YOU MUST DIE" thing. That the community has never gotten over. I myself, full aware of this ridiculous review system, still fall victim to the controversies caused by a score I don't agree with. To sum all of it up: Who cares if most those review sites are giving Last of Us high scores that may or may not be justified, all that really matters is you personally think, and its never too late to sell your games you don't wanna keep on eBay.

Reactions: hhs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.