Did anybody go on Nsider before it died?

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just noticed that it's been over a year since Nintendo closed down their official forums.
Yeah they had a really bad rep for being full of idiots, but if you got deeper into the community, you could find some really great people.
I only had about 2000 posts, so I wasn't as crazy as some people, but I had some great times there. I'm still angry that Nintendo closed them down without any warning, or any reason (atleast, that we've heard of).

Was anybody else an active member? If so, what boards did you spend most of your time on and what were your feelings when it first closed down.
I spent a ton of time on the Tetris DS board before it died as well.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The funny thing is, I lurked there for about a month or two. 4 hours after I joined, they closed down.
blink.gif

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was on nsider... back when Nintendo was fun. the closing of the forums is what made me really change my view of Nintendo, for the worse

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Osaka said:
I was on nsider... back when Nintendo was fun. the closing of the forums is what made me really change my view of Nintendo, for the worse
Me too.

I went on it every day for about half a year... then... then.... sorry I just talk about it... it makes me too sad...

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSider closing down is all Tropicana's fault! The proof is in this thread! Damn you Tropicana! LOL!

Yeah, I was a pretty active member there, until I discovered GBAtemp and learned about flashcarts, then I didn't really care about NSider anymore and became somewhat of an asshole there until it closed down. Heh.

I was Rayderism there.

I'm also personally responsible for one of their more prominent members coming here. He was the rank of......oh damn, I can't remember.....Knight of Hyrule maybe? That doesn't sound right.......can't rem, but he's an active member here now.......under a different name though. I won't say what his name was there, nor will I say what his name is here, just in case he doesn't want anyone to know.

But if HE wants to admit to it, that's up to him.
wink.gif

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was a semi-active member for about two years. If i was to count up all the time it would be about a year. The other time i was inactive. I finally made koopa troopa before they closed it down. I finally could have a sig. I was Yoshifanatic. I was mainly in Smash boards and mario boards.

Jordan10la

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hadn't gone there in years and I'm sure my posts would have all been embarrassments. Sad that it closed though it would have been interesting to read old forum posts of mine.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, i briefly heard it closed down a while ago. I used to lurk years ago (like maybe 4 years ago?). I never even joined. I specifically remember seeing pics of the super mario sunshine easter egg with the book, great times. And how we all thought it was fake cause the dude took a while to post a vid. Can anyone tell me the story of why it got taken down?

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
Hmmm, i briefly heard it closed down a while ago. I used to lurk years ago (like maybe 4 years ago?). I never even joined. I specifically remember seeing pics of the super mario sunshine easter egg with the book, great times. And how we all thought it was fake cause the dude took a while to post a vid. Can anyone tell me the story of why it got taken down?
When it first closed, the following message was posted:
Nintendo is working on a major overhaul to Nintendo.com to support the continued success of Nintendo DS and Wii. As we prepare for this huge site update, Nintendo must unfortunately close the Nintendo NSider Forums message boards indefinitely beginning Sept. 17, 2007.

After a while, new "tech support" forums were launched. The message then read:
Dear NSider Forum Fans:

Nintendo recently launched a brand new Nintendo.com to support the continued success of Nintendo DS and Wii. During that process, we closed the Nintendo NSider Forums message boards indefinitely.

Lots of people want to know if the NSider Forums are coming back. We had a lively community and we know many of you miss those old forums. At this time their future remains uncertain, and we continue to invite our fans to build on the spirit of community by starting their own Nintendo discussion sites.

We are pleased to announce the launch of Nintendo's Tech Support Forums, a place for peer-to-peer support for consumers' technical needs. Nintendo may provide answers from time to time as well.

We welcome your wise and technical knowledge in our Tech Support Forums. People from all walks of life will post questions about connecting their Wii to the internet, navigating the many Wii Channels, setting up the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for their Nintendo DS and many more topics. If you've got the answers, we'd love to see you on the Tech Support Forums and we appreciate your support in keeping these forums focused on technical issues.

Click here to enter Nintendo's Tech Support Forums.

Nintendo has the greatest fans in the world, and we thank you for your continued support.

Nintendo of America Inc.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah i was on there for about a year till nintendo dropped it.

Rayder said:
NSider closing down is all Tropicana's fault! The proof is in this thread! Damn you Tropicana! LOL!

Yeah, I was a pretty active member there, until I discovered GBAtemp and learned about flashcarts, then I didn't really care about NSider anymore and became somewhat of an asshole there until it closed down. Heh.

I was Rayderism there.

I'm also personally responsible for one of their more prominent members coming here. He was the rank of......oh damn, I can't remember.....Knight of Hyrule maybe? That doesn't sound right.......can't rem, but he's an active member here now.......under a different name though. I won't say what his name was there, nor will I say what his name is here, just in case he doesn't want anyone to know.

But if HE wants to admit to it, that's up to him.
wink.gif

wow, i remember seeing you there, i remember your sig.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
my name was MARIOBROS.5 on there. I was a Kong I think before it closed down. I was semi-active on there, and had met lots of cool people on there. I joined in...'04 or '05 I think.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GameSoulXIII said:
my name was MARIOBROS.5 on there. I was a Kong I think before it closed down. I was semi-active on there, and had met lots of cool people on there. I joined in...'04 or '05 I think.
Wow you must have posted a lot. Kong was a really high rank.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
Yeah, I was on it since 2004 ):
Me too. I joined in '04 after I registered my DS online there.

I was coolbho3001, and had 3300+ posts. I was a badass rank, "Bounty Hunter," when they closed down. Hung around on the WiFi support boards a lot, posting a bunch of guides and tutorials, wanted to become a Sage but never did get picked...
hate2.gif

I did get a free copy of Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day from them, and coincidentally received it on the day of my birthday too. It contained confetti paper, a press release, and a copy of the game. It even contained a letter from one of the mods (NOA_Andy it was I think). That was the best thing ever. Made me feel very special, and I feel guilty nowadays pirating Nintendo's games when I think about it.

But GBAtemp is hundreds of times better.
yaynds.gif
I got an Acekard 2 from them!

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Nin10doFan said:
What kind of site was this like? Was it like a GBAtemp site?
No, it was the official Nintendo community.

Looking back on it retrospectively, it was lot more liberal than what you'd think an official Nintendo forum would be (there was much, much more freedom than in a site like GameFAQs) except that it did not allow the exchange of friend codes at all. Ironically, it even offered much more freedom than the Playstation forums (don't know about Microsoft's though), because you could talk about other products and consoles, frequently there would be fanboy flamefests in the Wii or DS boards. If you talked about flashcarts, piracy, or homebrew your thread would get deleted, but Power On was something like the Testing Area and an Off Topic section rolled into one (minus the profanity). You could post links to websites from the beginning and pictures if you had enough posts.

The mods (appointed by Nintendo employees) and admins (all Nintendo employees) were all awesome, with a few exceptions here and there. There were a lot of idiotic children, a lot more than on GBAtemp now, but the community was still very enjoyable and fun nonetheless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong