OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
November 1st:
This evening, I was playing Contact, and though it had happened before, the "decal icon" in the upper left screen began to auto activate (as if the stylus were touching it; it wasn't) repeatively. Other touch screen games have shown inaccurate or dodgy results before, but I didn't want to admit to myself that the touch screen had any flaw. I had seen it before on one of my other games, New Super Mario Bros. during the mini games.

I have heard plenty of valid reasons for contacting Nintendo for their repair service. Dead pixels is obviously the most apparent reason. The cracked hinge, which I also have (never affected anything) is another. I had never really heard of anyone with my particular issue. Anyway, when I first took the DS Lite out of the box back on June 11th, I noticed a very faint crease in that corner of the touch screen. After five months of use, it seems that it is indeed a manufacturing defect.

I went to Nintendo's website, entered the needed information, got a referrence number and am now awaiting a prepaid UPS label with further instructions on returning it back to them. With Final Fantasy III already prepaid and my eagerness to get a call from EBGames to pick it up, it seems my wait to play it may be even more extended. Some have gotten their replacements back in 2 weeks. Others a bit over a month, though that was during the time of DS Lite's launch, when there was a very apparent shortage. I'll dig through my old collection of PC games I have up in the attic to get through this, but I'm going to miss having a DS. It's funny how you can miss a little piece of electronic goodness. Until I have to mail it, I'll play New Super Mario Bros. again, since the affected area doesn't affect playing the main game. Plus, I'm only still on World 4.

November 4th:
Though I had left a day prior to visit a friend (hate Greyhound), the label arrived. My father read to me all the instructions over the phone. Didn't hear anywhere stating that I had to send it in the retail box, which I kept and always do. So, my father packed up simply the DS Lite. The stylus, GBA Cover and charger stayed home.

November 6th:
My father took the DS Lite to our local UPS Store and dropped it off. It was scanned out that evening.

November 8th:
It arrived at Nintendo's Syracuse, NY location. They have a location in Syracuse? Oddly, my repair status still lists as "due in" rather than "received".

November 13th:
I'm now back home, which my father was thankful, as he hated reading e-mails verbatum over the phone. I received an e-mail yet again informing me that my DS Lite was being returned. However, the e-mail did not state what work was done if any at all. A disclaimer was included stating that their automated notification system had no way of telling me this. Hope they work on that in the future.

November 16th:
DS Lite arrives! WOO...wait a damn moment! The included repair checklist only mentions that the housing was replaced. The fields for screen repair and replacement are blank. The crease is still visible, though it looks like it had been buffed out a bit. It was still visible given the right angle of illumination. I also noticed that the touch film is a bit off the screen than before. In addition, the housing has indigo blue stains at each corner near the L and R Buttons. I e-mailed Nintendo back asking what the hell is going on.

November 19th:
I receive an phone call on a Sunday afternoon from a Nintendo rep. Sadly, I didn't get her name, because she knew exactly how to do her job. She explained that she reviewed the repair order and sees that someone at the repair center, which I understood is a different place than her call center, goofed and ignored the mention of the touch screen issues. My repair case was upgraded to a replacement case. By the way, Nintendo of America may do the following for you if you call them and your warranty is still active, so pay attention to this.

For a $5 shipping fee along with placing a credit card as a security deposit, Nintendo stated to me that they will send me a factory refurbished unit FIRST. To those cringing at the word, refurbished, the rep claimed that all of these are given new housings and buttons regardless of their prior conditions. Moving along, once the unit arrives, I am to throw my old DS Lite in the same box, tape it up, slap on the included pre-paid label and drop it off at a UPS Store. As long as they get it back within 21 days, there's no fee ($115 if you decide to be an ass).

By the way, that $5 fee...the lady comped me due to their idiot's oversight of a simple repair order. So, this time, I will get a new DS Lite without the 2 weeks of withdrawl. Trust me, it was utter hell!

November 22nd:
The 2nd DS Lite arrives! Not only did the Nintendo rep comp the shipping fee, she upgraded shipping to 2-day. I believed it was supposed to be Ground. This looks to be like a brand new unit, not refurbished. I spotted no blemishes, scratches, etc. anywhere. The touch screen is perfect, I played with the new arrival and the older one and noticed that my old touch screen was much more loose than I first though. I tested with the mini games on my copy of New Super Mario Bros. By the way, buy it, kids! And yes, no dead/stuck pixels spotted. Even the D-pad feels more responsive for diagonal movement. Final Fantasy III owns my play time for awhile. Buy that too!

The old DS Lite is boxed up and will be dropped off Saturday (due to Thanksgiving travelling). The new unit is perfect so far, and yes, my warranty is rejuvenated back to a full year. Despite a bonehead move on the part of a dumbass, Nintendo handled things well. It would have been perfect, if the screen was fixed in the first place and someone washed their damn hands before sending me the repaired unit (I'm picky about keeping clean). I've give a grade of B towards my experience.

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Awww I love a happy ending!!!
cry.gif

I am going to replace my DS lite soon...took out the extra store insurance (Argos), which is a shame considering how good Nintendo are with warranties.

Wonder if nintendo Europe do the charge and ship a replacement.
unsure.gif

Ok back to the
grog.gif

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
I would be thankful to Mr. "I-did-not-read-the-repair-order-because-I'm-too-lazy" for ridding me of the old one, even though it caused some extra hassle.

So 18 or 21 days to get the replacement, depending how you count, seems worth it to me.
happy.gif

Happy gaming spady.

TheSpade

OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I would have been more satisfied if they had repaired or replaced the screen. The only plus I can see here is that the new unit did not have the stains. Happy gaming to you as well, Rose.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Awww I love a happy ending!!!Â
cry.gif

I am going to replace my DS lite soon...took out the extra store insurance (Argos), which is a shame considering how good Nintendo are with warranties.

Wonder if nintendo Europe do the charge and ship a replacement.Â
unsure.gif
Â

Ok back to theÂ
grog.gif

if you phone and tell them the problem then you might not charge a penny (based on their warranty) like dead pixel, the crack lit and it free shipping back...
wink2.gif

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For a $5 shipping fee along with placing a credit card as a security deposit, Nintendo stated to me that they will send me a factory refurbished unit FIRST. To those cringing at the word, refurbished, the rep claimed that all of these are given new housings and buttons regardless of their prior conditions. Moving along, once the unit arrives, I am to throw my old DS Lite in the same box, tape it up, slap on the included pre-paid label and drop it off at a UPS Store. As long as they get it back within 21 days, there's no fee ($115 if you decide to be an ass).

I thought everyone knew about this? The two-day shipping is standard for all as far as I know. They did it with me when I had to return my old DS.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Haha, I received a replacement unit yesterday as well. Looks like this is a new revision. Some changes I noticed.

- the buttons have a better feel and diagonals are awesome
- when I looked at the screen in the dark, it looked like it's cracked on the corners, but I thought it's normal; anyhow, this issue is gone
- I have a feeling that outer plastic is somewhat smoother, and that the "inside plastic" has a better grip
- if I removed the dust cover on my old DS Lite, I could see the backlight shining through the plastic into SLOT-2; issue resolved as well
- the new DS Lite has tiny "legs" - you can't see them, but you can feel them and DS is more flexible on the desk too
- the touchscreen is now pixel perfect (uh, I sent my old one back because I had problems with this very issue, using NitroTracker and DSLinux and PictoChat was such a pain ...)
- etc.

Anyways, I love my new shiny white DS Lite!
happy.gif

EDIT: I replaced my DS at the store I bought it, since NoE doesn't officially support Slovenia.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs