Dial-up internet

dudenator

King of the Carts
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am forced to use a dial up internet connection that goes at about 48kbps. But I can only get it going at about 4kbps in utorrent or direct download. This is horrible as it takes about 10 minutes to get 1mb. Please help.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's not much that can be done for dialup; the best you could get with a standard modem is about 6KB/second download. This is because in order to get higher speeds the modem would have to put too much voltage on the line, which violates telecom regulations.

D

Deleted User

Dialup cannot go 48 kilbytes per second. kpbs are kilobits. The highest download speed you can get with a 56kpbs connection is a about 5-6KB/s. There is no way to increase the speed.

D

Deleted_171835

Dialup?

What ISP do you use? According to your 'profile country', you're in Canada.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Change isp as others have said. If adsl isn't available, then look into other alternatives such as wireless, or satellite (as a last resort). You won't get any faster on a dialup connection.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Windows had (I don't know if it still has) an option to double the speed by connecting 2 dial-up adapter on 2 different phone lines at the same time.
but, I'm sure this is not an acceptable solution for you
tongue.gif

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Windows had (I don't know if it still has) an option to double the speed by connecting 2 dial-up adapter on 2 different phone lines at the same time.
but, I'm sure this is not an acceptable solution for you
tongue.gif

Yeah but I think most isps don't allow you to do that anymore or they charge extra.....

D

Deleted User

Linkiboy said:
Use Opera Turbo to make the web seem faster
And uglier :< It compresses images.

When I was on dialup (not long ago), I used Opera without Turbo boost and got some decent page loading speeds. Don't use Firefox with a dialup connection, as it is a bandwidth whore and pages will occasionally not load at all.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, dial-up......I remember those days. I didn't know people were still using that as their primary way of connecting to the net anymore, only as an emergency backup for when their real connection's modem died or something.

I feel for ya man.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rayder said:
Ouch, dial-up......I remember those days. I didn't know people were still using that as their primary way of connecting to the net anymore, only as an emergency backup for when their real connection's modem died or something.

I feel for ya man.
XVolution is still on dial-up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou