Diagonals WTF?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Veho, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Okay, so people tell me it's easier to hit diagonals on a Lite D-pad than a Phat D-pad. Well, I've been practicing Jam Sessions on my DS Phat, and, um, someone tell me, how do you hit anything but a diagonal?!? If I press anything but the dead centre of a direction, the entire D-pad tilts and depresses a neighbouring direction as well, and I get a diagonal, miss the chord, and end up with that "dud chord" sound.

So if it's this easy to hit diagonals on a Phat, and people tell me it's even easier to hit them on a Lite... WTF!?!? How do you Lite people play Jam Sessions at all? Map all chords to diagonals or what? [​IMG]

[/rant]

Seriously now, it's kinda irritating. Any thoughts?

2. CannonBallZ

CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2007
    United States
    I don't have any problems not hitting a diagonal, If anything, I edit the chord pallete so that the main chord changes are on the up,down,left,right
    I've used it jamming with some friends with guitars, and it holds up well as a basic accoustic

It might be your keypad

edit: sorry forgot to mention, I am using it on a lite

3. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    never played a phat but d-pad on DS SUX ASS.
    i'm always afraid that i'll break it if i press up-right, down-left or so.
    shit.

4. roadbusta

roadbusta GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2006
    It seems to be the opposite for me, on the lite. I find it hard to press diagonals, though up/down/left/right seem easy enough.

When playing jam sessions, I just used two different chord settings for the d-pad, switching between them with the L button.

Ironically, I find that playing a real acoustic guitar is easier and more pleasurable than playing jam sessions on the lite [​IMG]

5. CannonBallZ

CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2007
    United States
    No doubt, you can't replace a guitar..
    but if you get the hang of the strumming, it sounds really convincing as a guitar esp if you have an amp cos its too soft just through the ds

6. .TakaM

.TakaM .II

Oct 8, 2004
    New Zealand
    the dpad on my old fat DS worked fine, I remember playing the Metroid Prime first hunt demo, and it took me a while to get used to the dpad, but once I did, it was perfect.

with the DSlite, I adapted immediately and it works fine

7. 111111111

111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2007
    I find the DS fat and lite pads awful (along with the terrible psp lite pad - the psp fat was slightly better, but still bad).

8. Arnold Schwarzen

Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I've sent in my DS Lite to Nintendo last year to get the d-pad fixed. It works great now and I can perform diagonals with no problem. Just send your Lites to Nintendo and get it repaired for free (assuming you still have the 1 year warranty, which is renewed when you get it repaired by Nintendo). This was one of the more common problems with the DS Lite when it launched.

9. notnarb

notnarb Not narbing it up

Jun 18, 2007
    The DS lite dpad is THE best that I have ever used

10. pristinemog

pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

Dec 22, 2006
    United States
    Tampa, FL
    Really, now? Because my D-Pad sucks ass. I don't even want to play MegaMan Star Force because it's so hard to do diagonals.

11. ackers

ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2007
    I gotta Lite and my bro a Phat. I must say that I find the d-pad better on the Phat. I really struggle to press diagonal on my Lite...

12. moggymatt

moggymatt GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2007
    Duh Fat Thumbs !!

i find the D-Pad on the phat DS to be better, and I still like the phat DS over the lite for a long gaming session or playing hunters.

13. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    Wiimotes dpad is great.

14. 111111111

111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2007
    kekeke, nice sarcasm.

Obviously the best d-pad ever is the saturn one.

15. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    And what does this have to do with the DS [​IMG] ?

I for myself prefer the Phat one, the lite's is too inaccurate for me. [​IMG]

16. osirisFIVE

osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2007
    Senegal
    Singapore
    Haha, with practice it'll be fine.

I remember when I was practising bleach DS, the instant air dash was quite hard at first. But I got used to it.

So yeah, hardware sucks but you'll get used to it.