Diablo-NX - Nintendo Switch Port of DevilutionX (Diablo)

Nintendo Switch Port of DevilutionX (Diablo)

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f444b56423139382e706e67

Diablo build for modern operating systems. This is the Nintendo Switch Port. It's still in Beta as i continue to map the controls over from the PC version

How To Play:
  • Extract contents of diablo-nx.zip release into SDMC:\switch\diablo-nx
  • Copy DIABDAT.MPQ from original Diablo game disc or GOG version.
  • Launch diablo-nx.nro
  • Note: Hold R on any installed game and launch it. Do not use photo-album to launch. If you use photo-album, the homebrew only has very little memory available, and the touch keyboard doesn't work. This is true for all homebrew, not just Diablo-NX.
  • Enjoy :)
Joycon Controls
  • Left Analog : Move Hero
  • Right Analog : Simulate Mouse
  • B : Attack nearby enemies, talk to towns people and merchants. Pickup & Drop items in inventory. OK in Menu
  • Y : Pickup gold, potions & equipment from ground, open chests and doors that are nearby. Use item when in inventory (read books etc.).
  • X : Cast Spell
  • A : Select Spell, Cancel in Menu
  • R : Inventory
  • L : Character
  • ZR : Drink Mana Potion
  • ZL : Drink Heal Potion
  • Left Analog Click : Quest Log
  • Right Analog Click : Left mouse click
  • Minus : Automap
  • Plus : Game Menu, Skip Intro
Touch Controls
  • Single finger drag : move the mouse pointer (pointer jumps to finger)
  • Single short tap : left mouse click
  • Single short tap while holding a second finger down : right mouse click
  • Dual finger drag : drag'n'drop (left mouse button is held down)
  • Three finger drag : drag'n'drop (right mouse button is held down)
Notes
There are lots of bugs. Check issues on the code repo.

Download (Latest Release) : https://github.com/lantus/devilution-nx/releases/tag/0.95
Source Code : https://github.com/lantus/devilution-nx

Last edited by MVG,
Release 0.95

MVG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0.95 is released

More bug fixes. Thanks rsn887 and erfg12!

- Prevent "spell not rdy" speech on exit dialog
- Map L/R/A to char/inv/select spell, closer to PS1
- Map B button to cancel in menu, and A to OK
- Prevent walking with dpad while talking to people
- Allow B button to skip intro (in addition to plus)
- Support physical USB keyboards
- Implement touch controls
- Improve event code, fix touch controls pointer missing
- Ensure touch keyboard fails gracefully without softlock
- Swap A/B in menu so B is OK, A is cancel
- Remove hacks that are not neccessary with new event handling
- Use SDL_GameController for portability, make touch portable
- Simplify controller switch statements
- Use SDL Game Controller also for menu navigation

Release - https://github.com/lantus/devilution-nx/releases/tag/0.95

bell1-1010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, first of all thank you so much (all of you) for the amazing work.
I haven’t played any Diablo before, I thought this would be a great chance to finally pick it up, being mobile and all.
I played a couple of hours today(version 0.95) but I found the analog movement extremely clunky, especially in/out doors etc.
Is this happening due this being a port? Would it be eventually fixed, or this is as good as it gets?

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Well it is because the game was designed for mouse control and uses a tile-based movement system. Your character can only either move one tile or none, nothing between. It is just how the game was designed.

Reactions: lordelan
D

Deleted User

1. Instantly crying for another game as soon as a dev releases the first one might be frustrating for him. I share your wish. I don't really wanna play D1 when I have D3 on the Switch but since D2 is way better than D1 (and better in a few aspects than D3) I would wanna play D2 on the Switch as well.
    However this request could have been submitted in a more polite way.
  2. This is a native Switch binary which is preferable instead of emulating stuff.
  3. This is great work!
Diablo 2 is better then 3 in every possible way.

Reactions: bad361 and Csmrcc

rockyard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the port begging here was done in a whiny fashion, I think we all agree that being able to play D2 on the Switch would be absolutely bonkers.

Much love to what MVG and rsn8887 are doing here since Diablo 1 is still a classic :)

Last edited by rockyard,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I feel kinda weird about asking this...But i got to level 14 in dungeon and the only quest i had was the very first one about the butcher. I killed him, got the cleaver and proceeded to go deeper in the caves. And now it just got a lot harder, mobs are tougher and there are a lot more of them. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way..Is it switch port's bug or what? I've spoken to everyone in town many times and there was only one option available which is "gossip" (well, besides healing, selling and bying suff). My char is lvl 21.. Yeah, first time playing d1, played a shit ton of d3 and quite a bit of d2 tho.

And sometimes i think there's an invisible npc or something in the caves, cause my char sometimes starts speaking to someone in the middle of a fight lol, but i don't see anybody around.

p.s. I've just looked at d1 quests on diablo wiki...and yeah, out of all i only had butcher quest. No leoric, no poisoned water, no nothing and i'm already on level 14 out of 16 lmao. I've also fully explored every dungeon level (but in some levels i could't interact wtih some doors, even tho the map showed them as "yellow door sign" which is also weird)...

...well, guess i'll just go kill diablo then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by bad361,

BlueCop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You gotta go back to town to talk to people. Normally you take loot back to identify/sell it and then talk to people to trigger quests. The further you have progressed in the dungeons then the better things the town vendors sell.

A spell called town portal is very useful and I would try to pick it up.

Also the dungeons are procedurally generated so will be different every time.

Last edited by BlueCop,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Blizz is remastering D2 as is heavily rumored, there's a chance they will look at console releases at some point. Seems more workable than Starcraft anyway.

Reactions: Csmrcc

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
And sometimes i think there's an invisible npc or something in the caves, cause my char sometimes starts speaking to someone in the middle of a fight lol, but i don't see anybody around.
Yeah, I’ve fell into that bug too, but not sure if it’s a bug within the game or the Switch port :unsure:

Here is the issue

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: lordelan

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You gotta go back to town to talk to people. Normally you take loot back to identify/sell it and then talk to people to trigger quests. The further you have progressed in the dungeons then the better things the town vendors sell.

A spell called town portal is very useful and I would try to pick it up.

Also the dungeons are procedurally generated so will be different every time.
um, yeah, i've done it a thousand times, lol, did you actually think i got to level 14 in one go?))... Of course i tp'ed back in town to restock on salves and to sell/buy stuff and yet no other options in dialogs with all npc's besides "gossip".

Last edited by bad361,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ok, here i am...level 15, didn't have a single quest besides butcher, tried starting a new game with the same char and still no luck. Can't progress to lvl 16 cos i guess i need to have a quest for that since there's no entrance to lvl 16.
XEUfl3M.png

Last edited by bad361,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
@bad361 : Weird. All the quests are decided at the beginning of game using a random number generator.

You could try the latest development build from the Switch branch of the official devilutionX repository. It includes many recent fixes to the Diablo game code. It is yesterday’s daily build.

Download: https://mega.nz/#!4NwD2AaQ!HwLN1NYcCm38dcKXqFkdmaGURW0HVLdOMOtybnmawM0

To install, just replace the nro on your sd card with this updated one.

However, your old save games are not compatible as far as I know. This is because a fix was made recently to unify savegames between 32bit and 64bit. This is good because now one could take a save game from one platform (eg Switch) and use it on any different platform (eg Linux/Raspberry Pi). That is a great feature, but it broke backwards compatibility with old savegames.

This means the latest daily will not help with your current game. But it might prevent the problem from reappearing in new games you start.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also @bad361 are you sure you are not accidentally playing multiplayer? Apparently in multiplayer you only ever get the butcher quest.

@bad361 : Apparently there’s a bug regarding this even in original Diablo. Try to select “new game” with your same character without ever loading your old savegame and see if it still happens. You should keep your stats but loose items on the ground that way.

Last edited by rsn8887,
Reactions: bad361

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know. You could use the daily snapshot from now on (see my last post above). It is currently the best version anyways - more bug fixes. And you could see if maybe that “npc
Out of nowhere” bug is gone or not. Just make sure you post what you find.

Reactions: cucholix

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
@bad361 : Weird. All the quests are decided at the beginning of game using a random number generator.

You could try the latest development build from the Switch branch of the official devilutionX repository. It includes many recent fixes to the Diablo game code. It is yesterday’s daily build.

Download: https://mega.nz/#!4NwD2AaQ!HwLN1NYcCm38dcKXqFkdmaGURW0HVLdOMOtybnmawM0

To install, just replace the nro on your sd card with this updated one.

However, your old save games are not compatible as far as I know. This is because a fix was made recently to unify savegames between 32bit and 64bit. This is good because now one could take a save game from one platform (eg Switch) and use it on any different platform (eg Linux/Raspberry Pi). That is a great feature, but it broke backwards compatibility with old savegames.

This means the latest daily will not help with your current game. But it might prevent the problem from reappearing in new games you start.

Also @bad361 are you sure you are not accidentally playing multiplayer? Apparently in multiplayer you only ever get the butcher quest.

@bad361 : Apparently there’s a bug regarding this even in original Diablo. Try to select “new game” with your same character without ever loading your old savegame and see if it still happens. You should keep your stats but loose items on the ground that way.
Ok, i'll try the newest build, thanks. I am definately playing singleplayer, and i tried starting a new game with my charachter but that didn't help, there was only butcher quest at the beginning just as in my previous playthroughs.

But may be you mean to start a new game from the title screen right away? Beacuse i always did a reset after loading my character's save to begin with. Or does it even matter now since you said my save is going to be irrelevant in the new build. I'm a bit confused now.

upd: I guess i understand now what you ment. The new build doesn't let me load my save but i still can start a new game with my character which is good considering i've spent quite a bunch of time leveling up lmao.

Last edited by bad361,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
The new build seems to have fixed quest related issues, i just fought Leoric for the first time in level 3... But the game crashes A LOT more now, and after getting to dungeoun lvl 6 the game crashed once again and now i can't even load my last save because i instantly get an error and the game closes. Well, i guess i will wait some some for stability updates, no luck for me to complete it on switch as of now.

Last edited by bad361,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.