I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blizzard has flipped the switch on Diablo 3's Real-Money Auction House (RMAH). (EDIT: US/AUS/MEX Only, currently)

http://us.battle.net...-6_12_2012#blog

1. You have to have an authenticator to help prevent your account from being hacked.

2. You can't sell gold for $$$ yet - they haven't enabled commodity trading.

3. The top weapons are being offered for >$200. No word on if people are actually buying them.

4. They've also started to ban the bot-farmers.

5. They have implemented a system that prevents you from creating and abandoning a game in rapid-fire succession. This was to curtail farming. (This system is currently disabled because apparently it was preventing normal players from logging in.)

------------

My personal opinion? I felt sick to my stomach when I found that they ninja-implemented the RMAH.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Watch shit hit the fan, just watch.

As far as I'm aware said authenticators do not make your accounts secure as your passwords are not case sensitive and it is speculated that accounts are compromised through session spoofing.

This shit does not even belong in single player.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
You can pay real money to get the best equipment, do people actually do that? o.O

So if im correct, people buy the game for £50, pay something like £100 to get the best equipment in the game and do....what? boast how powerful they are for a week or so and then realise they've just basically ruined the entire point of playing a game and also wasted £150?

Plus you can aparently earn real money in diablo by selling the gold you make in game? Did i read that correctly? Humanity is doomed, noone is going to get real jobs that are importent to society if you can just basically make a living playing diablo 3...

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can pay real money to get the best equipment, do people actually do that? o.O

So if im correct, people buy the game for £50, pay something like £100 to get the best equipment in the game and do....what? boast how powerful they are for a week or so and then realise they've just basically ruined the entire point of playing a game and also wasted £150?

Pretty much. The items are level-limited, but you can still twink out your character. Normal mode is easy, too.

Plus you can aparently earn real money in diablo by selling the gold you make in game? Did i read that correctly? Humanity is doomed, noone is going to get real jobs that are importent to society if you can just basically make a living playing diablo 3...

You are correct. You can sell your own items. Soon, you will be able to sell your in-game currency.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada

I'm sure society won't miss the .01% of people who are going to make a temporary living off gold/weapon farming and selling.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are some items that would take weeks and weeks of legitimate effort to even attain, some people would rather just pay for one.
It was bad enough when people started having their accounts emptied for items they played for, but when it happens to items they paid for you have a problem.

The phrases "non-case sensitive passwords" and "real-money auction houses" should not even MIX.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally the whole "pay to win" would be an issue if the game was like... a PvP MMO. Otherwise who gives a shit. It's a game based around killing thousands of weakling bad guys to collect pants. It doesn't matter if you use the stick you got in the beginning or the godslaying sword you paid for with your college fund, as long as you can play the game effectively without required payment past your purchase, I don't think it matters if you pay your way to the top or grind pants to get to the top.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Normally the whole "pay to win" would be an issue if the game was like... a PvP MMO. Otherwise who gives a shit. It's a game based around killing thousands of weakling bad guys to collect pants. It doesn't matter if you use the stick you got in the beginning or the godslaying sword you paid for with your college fund, as long as you can play the game effectively without required payment past your purchase, I don't think it matters if you pay your way to the top or grind pants to get to the top.
The trouble involved is two things, treating the game in a very MMO-like fashion with always-online connectivity, and the security issues surrounding Battlenet.

They KNOW that the game is getting the WoW treatment with people farming gold and items, there have been a large number of account compromises leading to stripped and looted characters, these commodities are worth something. Monetizing this is actively encouraging this bullshit to happen.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I laugh at the idea of paying "real money" for items, there is no way i would even consider it.

I am playing Diablo 3 now, and have been since it was available, i have got to the 2nd Act in nightmare on my own steam and thoroughly enjoying it,

the thought of buying items with real cash would take away the feeling of accomplishment for me.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A great idea, but a poor design. Hell I still feel let down that online game companies in general don't have very tight security (grr someone hacked my RuneScape account in the good old days :( )

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like a very "Free 2 Play" idea, to me...

The game isn't free to play. You have to pay $60 for the game.

My biggest gripe is that you need high-end gear to beat Inferno content. (Beating Inferno content means being able to kill Elite mobs without constantly dying and beating bosses without triggering their anti-cheese enrage timers.) Pre-RMAH, you have 2 choices in order to get the top-end gear. You either find it or you buy it on the AH with money you get while trying to find the gear. If all the high-end gear ends up on the RMAH, you're screwed unless you're willing to pay.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. The top weapons are being offered for >$200. No word on if people are actually buying them.
A friend of mine has already made several hundred dollars.
Yup.
Y'know, you saying that just made me think...someone could make a living off of Diablo. It'd be a great way to pay for college or make money when one can't find a job.

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Y'know, you saying that just made me think...someone could make a living off of Diablo. It'd be a great way to pay for college or make money when one can't find a job.

Maybe, but there are a few things working against you.

1. The game is not open-ended. It's not like a true MMORPG that offers months of extra content. Once you beat Inferno, there's less incentive to play. Less incentive means fewer and fewer buyers.

2. Items are always created and are never destroyed. The longer the game is out, the more top-tier items get created.

3. Asian Gold Farmers will undercut you.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just one thing came to mind.. Are the servers still restarted every now and then? Kinda like in Diablo 2 Battle.net? If so, this will become veeeerrry interesting during the first restart :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine has already made several hundred dollars.
Yup.
Some people make a living off of Second Life...

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Watch shit hit the fan, just watch.

As far as I'm aware said authenticators do not make your accounts secure as your passwords are not case sensitive and it is speculated that accounts are compromised through session spoofing.

This shit does not even belong in single player.

It already has hit the fan and the amount of [censored]ry Q.Q over it is absolutely astounding. If people don't want to use it, don't use it, they can grind gold and buy stuff from the gold auction house which many people will still be using. Top tier items are really all that are going to sell for anything considerable, and Blizzard takes a cut. Good to see that they are already knocking out the bots though, it's absolutely absurd how many of these fucking Chinese gold sellers there are abusing the game to make vast quantities of real money. The advantage to the RMAH is that they can also ban PayPal accounts with the service, which subsequently shuts down many gold selling users because their inability to gain funds from using hacked items and accounts since the PayPal account can no longer be tied to any Blizzard related account (if they are doing so), and even if they are constantly remaking new PayPal accounts, I am sure Blizzard has it tied in that they can start banning bank accounts from using their service and have people arrested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended