Hacking DG-16D2S Board/Chip Swap

dayton46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'm new here.. but I have been in console repair/electronics repair for a while and I have a burning question...

Here goes:
I have a Xbox 360 Elite (falcon), with the newest dashboard installed.

The problem was the Disc drive would not open, close, or play any games.. so I figured I would replace it.
I have done many of these repairs, swap the board and it should work...
but it did not.
So I tried the board that came in the new drive, on my old drive... worked perfectly, but cannot play games (of course) but it functioned correctly.

So I wanted to extract my key off my original board to flash onto the new board.. so I hook it up to the xbox for power, and my computer with the portio drivers installed, open jungleflasher.. cannot find or recognize the drive.

Hook up the new board..

Jungleflasher finds it immediately!

so heres my burning question, and yes I'm pretty good with the iron, and I know it is not worth this trouble, but for education purposes...

Which chip holds the KEY? The Mediatek chip, the other chip with the thermal grip, or the smaller chip to the left of the Mediatek chip?

Could it be swapped to the new board and work?

Thanks in advance!

st0033462-microsoft-xbox-360-logic-board-for-philips-lite-on-dg-16d2s-09c-dvd-drive-11.jpg

(This is not my board, one I used from Google for reference, but same model.)

Last edited by dayton46,

dayton46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what I thought, think I could swap this chip and it work? I might try it. lol
gbacomp.jpg

The chips look about the same there. Meaning same type of layout.. Thinking the game must be stored on that chip lol

Edit: I am going to try to replace it tomorrow for the 360. I will report back my findings XD

Last edited by dayton46,

dayton46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it does not work that way. Or at least I cannot read games with the board. I will try to dump the key and flash that to a new board and report back. But I have no clue how the pcb would be completely proprietary to an xbox.. like the apple iPhone 5S home button..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone