Hacking Devmenu > anything , stop the pointless argument of sky3ds vs gateway

0xFFFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I do admit that the Devmenu is powerful and allows you to do a lot of things that flashcards can't do, such as game updates.
The only problem is that Devmenu cannot be installed on the latest firmwares.

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do admit that the Devmenu is powerful and allows you to do a lot of things that flashcards can't do, such as game updates.

Actually I think when you install emunand for the first time, the emunand is set to the same FW version as your sysnand, which is <=9.2. So you'll have emunand at <=9.2. You can then install devmenu, no problem. Then upgrade emunand. This will break multi-rom menu, but the devmenu should still be there and working i think.

so even if you update emunand to 9.5 and don't have an emunand backup, you can just restart with a fresh SD card and a brand new emunand. As long as your sysnand is always <=9.2, you can always start from scratch

Go GW Go!

Reactions: Margen67

masterzero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

so? sky3ds is still losing that . right now gateways works on anything 9.2 or lower, and no 3ds has been shipped with higher firmware. so if the 3ds owner was dumb and updated the 3ds after GW announcement , then yes , sky3ds is the ideal flashcard for him ^^

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Sky3DS is purely a device for pirating games. That is all. Nothing more and nothing less. Sky3DS is perfect for the twelvies who got a 3DS for christmas and their mummy won't buy them anymore games other than that random one she picked off the shelf at the time of purchase.

The more advanced user can dabble in the sky3ds competitor, the Gateway.

Back when Gateway team first came onto the scene, clearly their business model was to develop and market a device that enables piracy. But they have evolved so much more than just piracy, emuNAND with eshop for purchasing legit games, homebrew capabilities, a clunky but functional region free and firmware spoof system, and who could forget the recent addition to 3.0 for MOTHER-EFFING downgrading system menu version!!!

And of course there is the point that everyone else brings up, dev menu, oh and savedatafiler!

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Hm? What is clunky about the region free?

Navigate menu -> Launch exploit -> Hold L trigger -> Insert red card -> Select classic mode -> Eject red card -> Insert foreign game -> Play.

I play alpha sapphire US version on my AUS console and it's growing very tiresome, Lol. Usually my 3DS just stays in sleep mode all the time so I avoid all the cart swapping :cry:

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Gateway and I'm wondering which to get if I want to add on DLC. Devmenu or BigBlueMenu? I've also heard rumors about other *something*menu stuff. Which one is the best?

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a Gateway and I'm wondering which to get if I want to add on DLC. Devmenu or BigBlueMenu? I've also heard rumors about other *something*menu stuff. Which one is the best?

if you have the latest version of devmenu, bigbluemenu is the same but with a fancy banner and icon. nothing different aside from that

Reactions: GameSystem

TwoBladedKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Navigate menu -> Launch exploit -> Hold L trigger -> Insert red card -> Select classic mode -> Eject red card -> Insert foreign game -> Play.

I play alpha sapphire US version on my AUS console and it's growing very tiresome, Lol. Usually my 3DS just stays in sleep mode all the time so I avoid all the cart swapping :cry:
Better to have 'clunky' region free than no region free.

Reactions: Margen67

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't call it clunky. I have to be in classic mode to use my purchased game cards anyway. And in gateway mode they just run off the gateway anyway.

It's easier to just launch the exploit with the red card ejected, then insert it. That way it boots into the menu directly. No need to hold L and miss the timing. Then once the screen shows just swap cards. It's not very tiresome to me. If all else you can dump your games and play them all on the gateway so you don't need classic mode.

Radxical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS is purely a device for pirating games. That is all. Nothing more and nothing less. Sky3DS is perfect for the twelvies who got a 3DS for christmas and their mummy won't buy them anymore games other than that random one she picked off the shelf at the time of purchase.
!
Sigh...here we go again with the downputting of the sky3ds. See, it's comments like these that actually spark the pointless "my flashcart is better than yours" debate. If people wanna play, they wanna play. They have their reasons for picking the card they want. I picked sky3ds because it wouldn't have worked on my version.

Sorry I was a normal, non-tech-saavy consumer and didn't buy the gateway before buying and upgrading my 3ds :glare:

Reactions: Thomas12345

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Oh! You mean Region Free for retail carts. I thought you meant for ROMs. Yeah, I guess it's a bit clunky now that you pointed it out but not really something I mind much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1