Devmenu > anything , stop the pointless argument of sky3ds vs gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by masterzero, Feb 3, 2015.

1. masterzero
    OP

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    Topic

Margen67 likes this.

2. 0xFFFF

0xFFFF Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I do admit that the Devmenu is powerful and allows you to do a lot of things that flashcards can't do, such as game updates.
    The only problem is that Devmenu cannot be installed on the latest firmwares.

3. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    Actually I think when you install emunand for the first time, the emunand is set to the same FW version as your sysnand, which is <=9.2. So you'll have emunand at <=9.2. You can then install devmenu, no problem. Then upgrade emunand. This will break multi-rom menu, but the devmenu should still be there and working i think.

so even if you update emunand to 9.5 and don't have an emunand backup, you can just restart with a fresh SD card and a brand new emunand. As long as your sysnand is always <=9.2, you can always start from scratch

Go GW Go!

Margen67 likes this.
  4. masterzero
    OP

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007

so? sky3ds is still losing that . right now gateways works on anything 9.2 or lower, and no 3ds has been shipped with higher firmware. so if the 3ds owner was dumb and updated the 3ds after GW announcement , then yes , sky3ds is the ideal flashcard for him ^^

5. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.

This.

Gateway wins in all respects.

/thread.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Sky3DS is purely a device for pirating games. That is all. Nothing more and nothing less. Sky3DS is perfect for the twelvies who got a 3DS for christmas and their mummy won't buy them anymore games other than that random one she picked off the shelf at the time of purchase.

The more advanced user can dabble in the sky3ds competitor, the Gateway.

Back when Gateway team first came onto the scene, clearly their business model was to develop and market a device that enables piracy. But they have evolved so much more than just piracy, emuNAND with eshop for purchasing legit games, homebrew capabilities, a clunky but functional region free and firmware spoof system, and who could forget the recent addition to 3.0 for MOTHER-EFFING downgrading system menu version!!!

And of course there is the point that everyone else brings up, dev menu, oh and savedatafiler!

7. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Hm? What is clunky about the region free?

8. Venseer

Venseer A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

Dec 12, 2013
    Brazil
    Kennedy Space Center
    But can it defeat Uchiha Madara?

No seriously now. Why does everyone care what card your super best friend on this forum use? I'm surrounded by unpaid marketeers.

BaNaNa01011 and Radxical like this.
  9. Jao Chu

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Navigate menu -> Launch exploit -> Hold L trigger -> Insert red card -> Select classic mode -> Eject red card -> Insert foreign game -> Play.

I play alpha sapphire US version on my AUS console and it's growing very tiresome, Lol. Usually my 3DS just stays in sleep mode all the time so I avoid all the cart swapping :cry:

10. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    as a sky3ds fanboy, I LOVE devmenu. instaling CIA is fun.....

not playing games < playing games

SKY3DS wins on that battle

Thomas12345 likes this.
  11. sbm888

sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    wtf is devmenu?

12. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    It's used to install CIAs on the 3ds

Margen67 likes this.
  13. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I have a Gateway and I'm wondering which to get if I want to add on DLC. Devmenu or BigBlueMenu? I've also heard rumors about other *something*menu stuff. Which one is the best?

14. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    if you have the latest version of devmenu, bigbluemenu is the same but with a fancy banner and icon. nothing different aside from that

GameSystem likes this.
  15. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I guess I'll go for BigBlue for the fancy banner and icon then. Thanks for the reply.

16. TwoBladedKnight

TwoBladedKnight GBAtemp Fan

May 17, 2009
    Better to have 'clunky' region free than no region free.

Margen67 likes this.
  17. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    I wouldn't call it clunky. I have to be in classic mode to use my purchased game cards anyway. And in gateway mode they just run off the gateway anyway.

It's easier to just launch the exploit with the red card ejected, then insert it. That way it boots into the menu directly. No need to hold L and miss the timing. Then once the screen shows just swap cards. It's not very tiresome to me. If all else you can dump your games and play them all on the gateway so you don't need classic mode.

18. Jao Chu

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Agreed. Don't misinterpret my post. I'm a gateway fanboy enthusiast through and through :P

19. Radxical

Radxical Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2009
    United States
    Sigh...here we go again with the downputting of the sky3ds. See, it's comments like these that actually spark the pointless "my flashcart is better than yours" debate. If people wanna play, they wanna play. They have their reasons for picking the card they want. I picked sky3ds because it wouldn't have worked on my version.

Sorry I was a normal, non-tech-saavy consumer and didn't buy the gateway before buying and upgrading my 3ds :glare:

Thomas12345 likes this.
  20. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Oh! You mean Region Free for retail carts. I thought you meant for ROMs. Yeah, I guess it's a bit clunky now that you pointed it out but not really something I mind much.