Hacking DevilutionX for wii & wiiu?

Alex_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's already been ported to 3ds and switch - anyone knows if a wii or wii u version exists or is in the works? I've been thinking about giving it a go myself, but my head hurts just from looking at the documentations:wtf:

Reactions: XDel

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Dude...Nobody is still interested in the wii u. And in general, the homebrew support on the wii u looks rather poor. But that devilutionx was ported to the 3ds was completely unknown to me so far. Thanks for the tip by the way.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alex_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Dude...Nobody is still interested in the wii u. And in general, the homebrew support on the wii u looks rather poor. But that devilutionx was ported to the 3ds was completely unknown to me so far. Thanks for the tip by the way.

I beg to differ. homebrews are still getting updates, retroarch is getting updates.. someone managed to get linux running on the wii u just recently.. the tools to compile for wii u are available. so what do you mean homebrew support looks rather poor?

Last edited by Alex_p,

Alex_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
what does it even matter if people are interested in it or not? devilutionx got ported to 3ds without anyone asking for it and that console is also kinda obsolete. nobody is interested in the psvita either but it also got a port.
what was the point with your comment really?

Last edited by Alex_p,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like an awesome idea to me. Being able to use the gamepad touchscreen to play Diablo. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Alex_p

Alex_p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
That sounds like an awesome idea to me. Being able to use the gamepad touchscreen to play Diablo. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

that's what I was thinking, and devilutionx being open source means we can also have on screen buttons and joystick movement, maybe tilt the gamepad left to drink a health potion/tilt right to drink mana potion

Last edited by Alex_p,

AJenbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
The dependencies have been greatly reduced in the latest version, basically if your platform has SDL and most of C++17 you are good to go. Feel free to join our Discord if you have any questions regarding how things work and how to go about porting it.

Reactions: Zense and meeeow

meeeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The dependencies have been greatly reduced in the latest version, basically if your platform has SDL and most of C++17 you are good to go. Feel free to join our Discord if you have any questions regarding how things work and how to go about porting it.
Wow, that's awesome news! Playing the PSX version of Diablo on the Wii U was really meh... (no Hellfire and it seems you cannot even take unique items over to a new game)

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You could always ask Modern Vintage Gamer to port it to the Wii U, he's god-like at that kind of stuff.
He's mainly an XBOX developer (he was known as Lantus back in the XBOX scene days), I haven't seen anything in devkitPro from him.

And I'm not sure if porting stuff is compatible with his current job at Nightdive Studios. Do studios care about that?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
He's mainly an XBOX developer (he was known as Lantus back in the XBOX scene days), I haven't seen anything in devkitPro from him.

And I'm not sure if porting stuff is compatible with his current job at Nightdive Studios. Do studios care about that?
No clue, but he's ported Quake (commercially), Chocolate Doom (homebrew), and Shantae (GBC version) to the Switch, so who knows.

meeeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gary managed to get the source port compiled for WiiU, starting, and at least running.
In summary: there is hope ;-)

(I decided to take a short glimpse at the port on PC instead.... and it turned out that it's only game I play (and play it way too much)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)