Gaming Devil Survivor 1 and 2 opinions

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have played both of them and love them both. Although 1 is better than 2 in my option.
They both have great stories, great characters, but they both suffer from the a small problem where if you make one wrong move, you drastically effect the entire outcome of the game.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil Survivor 1 is a great game. The character's are solid, the gameplay is what you'd expect from SMT mixed with Strategy, and the story's good as well. It's a complex game (if you use the fusion components and whatnot) and it's very difficult, but it's also very fun.
Devil Survivor 2 does everything one does, but it does them better, and adds a lot of features. The music is better, the gameplay outside of combat has more substance, the complex components are broadened, and they tend to take more risks that they weren't able to in one.

Reactions: 1 person

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil Survivor 1 is a great game. The character's are solid, the gameplay is what you'd expect from SMT mixed with Strategy, and the story's good as well. It's a complex game (if you use the fusion components and whatnot) and it's very difficult, but it's also very fun.
Devil Survivor 2 does everything one does, but it does them better, and adds a lot of features. The music is better, the gameplay outside of combat has more substance, the complex components are broadened, and they tend to take more risks that they weren't able to in one.

This basically. I havent played as much of 2 as i wanted though (Due to being so close to finally finishing 1 Overclocked), but both are amazing games.

Also agreed with Catboy, its so damn easy to shift the endings or screw yourself out of a character/get a character killed. Also, the whole demon fusing/leveling system can be pretty overwhelming at first, i didnt have the system down until i got halfway through the game and was trying to figure out why i felt so weak.

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Improved as it may be, i don't like one aspect of Devil Survivor 2: the plot.

They lost that "desolation" feeling found in the first game... there's just too many "resourceful" characters there (hell, even a paramilitary organization running underground)

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Improved as it may be, i don't like one aspect of Devil Survivor 2: the plot.

They lost that "desolation" feeling found in the first game... there's just too many "resourceful" characters there (hell, even a paramilitary organization running underground)
Agree they probably lost on story or ambience in DeSu 2 but IMO they seriously gained on character development, the fate system was amazing and I really felt the characters grew throughout the game, Joe was specially touching.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the 2nd one is better because what makes a good game is the soundtrack and the battle system.
also , the graphics/story are more calm and cool , even with the triple of the blood...

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the 2nd better because of the story and the characters. Although, I do agree that if you make one mistake in both games, later it's gonna come back and hunt you.

D

Deleted User

I hate both of them. Hate me all you want but I found the first one slow and painful... ON EASY. I don't think these games are for me. :(

Makoto03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just got devil survivor 2 today, so i'll try it later. i played the first one years ago. it was okay, but i got bored of it before i finished it. i guess i was expecting something closer to persona at the time. hopefully, i'll enjoy the sequel much more.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The first one is my favorite, especially Overclocked since it improved a bunch of things. 1's story was a lot more interesting tbh. For main characters I definitely preferred Yuzu and Atsuro, but I prefer 2's secondary characters.
I liked 1's music and overall OST a lot more.
Obviously I prefer all the combat additions and improvements of the 2nd.

2 was way, way too easy though. It was brainlessly simple. The hardest fight I came across was easily Beelzebub. With severely underlevelled demons and even more severely underlevelled humans...it was essentially impossible, though i'm sure if I tried I could have eventually beat the bastard. I still remember DS1 easily taking the title of "hardest handheld game I ever played". It kicked my ass 3 ways to sunday. DS2 I gameovered maybe twice, and both were because enemies escaped and not because I died.

Overall though, both DS1 and 2 are two of my favorite and most played DS games to date. Second/third only to TWEWY, and Overclocked is my most played 3DS game by a very, very large amount.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I nearly beat him with 4 level 60~65 demons, and my humans averaging level 30. He is a gigantic pain in the ass. My resurrection demon ran out of MP and my healer human died...completely screwed me over.
But Lucifer from DS1 was still way, way worse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Bigonia already left the chat
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bigonia already left the chat