Devil May Cry 5's Special Edition: Capcom has "no plans" to bring to PC.

DMC5SE header.jpg

Recently, at Sony's PS5 showcase, Devil May Cry 5 was announced to be getting a special edition, which showed off Vergil as a new playable character, Legendary Dark Knight mode (where each stage has mobs of enemies as opposed to the usual layouts), and Turbo mode where the game runs at 1.2x speed, all of which have become staples of past Special Editions in the franchise. The update also seeks to add ray-tracing support to the title, greatly improving reflections and lighting effects.

The content is stated to launch digitally with the PS5's, however keen eyed fans noticed that the PC version wasn't specifically mentioned in the trailer. The video's description and Capcom's statements on the official DMC5 twitter say the same thing on the matter, namely that "Vergil will be offered as paid DLC for Xbox One, PS4 and PC at a later date." A relief, one might say, except that this only mentions Vergil as DLC, not the Special Edition contents. Surely it would be sane to expect that it meant all of the Special Edition content would be included when they say "Vergil DLC." After all, Vergil has never been distributed separately from a Special Edition in the past; they were always one and the same expansion. Still, fans were uneasy with the lack of specificity, and many began to speculate, on twitter and the Steam discussion boards, that the Special Edition might not be coming to PC right away.

Looking to the game's official website, one could see both the Special Edition and Vergil listed separately, with Steam listed as one of the distribution platforms for Vergil, but not for the Special Edition.

DMC5 website.PNG
This only stoked fans' anxieties, and PC players were clamoring for clarification from Capcom. That clarification recently came via a statement Capcom made to Eurogamer, but the answer wasn't what people wanted to hear.

"Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition is specifically being developed and optimised to benefit the system architecture and leap in processing power offered by PS5 and Xbox Series X, so we're focusing on these platforms. At present, there are no plans to release DMC5SE on PC."

Considering the fact that PC equipment is undeniably just as apt, if not moreso, to handle the touted improvements like ray tracing, 3D audio, faster load times, and a higher amount of enemies onscreen which are advertised in the Special Edition of DMC5, players on that platform are understandably feeling lied to and slighted. The Steam discussion board is alight with fans voicing their strong disapproval of this decision, with many PC players leaving negative reviews for the game over the matter, and warning potential buyers of the game who might not know of the situation and are expecting the Special Edition to come to the PC version alongside consoles.

Most helpful review.PNG

At the time of writing, the Steam review aggregate hasn't dropped below "very positive", but it's clear from Steam's built-in analytics how many negative reviews have come in over the past few hours as a result of the statement. Additionally, the percent of positive reviews has dropped to 85% at the time of writing.

DMC5 steam review history.PNG

It's unclear how Capcom will choose to respond to this going forward, however it's pertinent to remember that DmC (the reboot by Ninja Theory) never got its Definitive Edition contents brought to the Steam version, and that arguably contained improvements much more significant than those of DMC5's Special Edition.

:arrow:Source

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's still possible this is just time exclusive, and just announced this too soon (like some of the other PS5 games that was announced in the Sony PS5 event). Hoping to see the Vergil DLC at a later time for regular DMC5.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I'm not surprised. They didn't do this for 3 (mods had the feature first) and 4? I mean at some point, PC will get it when PS5 gets emulated.
DMC4 actually got a pretty comprehensive Special Edition. It's when LDK mode showed up, we got Vergil, Trish, and Lady as playable characters, and a good amount of new costumes. Arguably, 4's Special Edition gives more than what 5's seems to.

Meteor7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats fine we still get Final Fantasy 16 which will have DMC combat nothing of value was lost.
I dunno amigo, Square's devs have barely begun to grasp even the basic rules of action combat, much less hit any semblance of the technical complexity that DMC 3, 4, or 5 has. Saying Final Fantasy anything should be an adequate replacement for DMC is like saying "don't worry, this toddler's crayon art is always around if we lose Van Gogh's paintings."

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno amigo, Square's devs have barely begun to grasp even the basic rules of action combat, much less hit any semblance of the technical complexity that DMC 3, 4, or 5 has. Saying Final Fantasy anything should be an adequate replacement for DMC is like saying "don't worry, this toddler's crayon art is always around if we lose Van Gogh's paintings."
The fact that it looks more interesting than XV's combat is enough to sink my ship. The only concern is the story.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still possible this is just time exclusive, and just announced this too soon (like some of the other PS5 games that was announced in the Sony PS5 event). Hoping to see the Vergil DLC at a later time for regular DMC5.

Sony does not buy timed exclusives against PC while allowing XBox.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess reviewing games is easy. Just hate the company who make them for decisions they make or stuff they say. :P

Joking aside, I mean, maybe the content will come to pc and just be download content. I feel the only reason they have a "Special edition" is to re-release a existing game on new hardware or with more content for people who didn't already buy it. The pc version doesn't need to have such a title cause is not reselling the game again. Just having a "All in one complete" bundle would make more sense. Plus they can just update the game on pc.

But I mean, if capcom isn't really doing anything for pc version, then well... shame I guess. Though I didn't say what I said to defend capcom, just maybe try to explain another side of the situation. :ninja:

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's Capcom, they've effing ported their crap everywhere, remember how Resi4 was supposed to be a gamecube "exclusive"?
This is prolly some esclusivity deal they're in right now, give them a few months and bet the special edition with knuckles and new funky mode will come to the only hardware you should really spend your money on.

Meteor7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess reviewing games is easy. Just hate the company who make them for decisions they make or stuff they say. :P

Joking aside, I mean, maybe the content will come to pc and just be download content. I feel the only reason they have a "Special edition" is to re-release a existing game on new hardware or with more content for people who didn't already buy it. The pc version doesn't need to have such a title cause is not reselling the game again. Just having a "All in one complete" bundle would make more sense. Plus they can just update the game on pc.

But I mean, if capcom isn't really doing anything for pc version, then well... shame I guess. Though I didn't say what I said to defend capcom, just maybe try to explain another side of the situation. :ninja:
Well, when Capcom said that they didn't have plans to bring over the Special Edition to PC, it was asked in the context of DLC for the base game. What they're saying here is that they have no plans to bring over any of the Special Edition content in any form, DLC, free update, re-release, or anything else.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, when Capcom said that they didn't have plans to bring over the Special Edition to PC, it was asked in the context of DLC for the base game. What they're saying here is that they have no plans to bring over any of the Special Edition content in any form, DLC, free update, re-release, or anything else.
Grab your rocket launcher, we strike their HQ in 2200 hours friday! :gun:

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling.