Developers behind Hyper Light Drifter announce their latest game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 13, 2019.

1. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Definitely one to keep an eye on.
    I bought a Jpn import of the physical release of HLD for my collection, after the Limited Run release sold out instantly and now sells for stupid money... hopefully this will come to consoles and also get some form of physical release.

2. SirBeethoven

SirBeethoven Do good, be good. Let's fight injustice together.

Nov 26, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Nintendo and PS4 does the same though. It’s only Microsoft really that does this, and they’re not succeeding in the way that PS4 is able to. Spider-Man, Mario, Zelda... are all exclusives. I DO think that Epic took this strategy a little too early, but it’s what the other successful businesses are doing nevertheless.

zft likes this.
  3. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I'm definitely gonna get this game (even though it's on another launcher). tbh I just centralize my games with a universal game manager. I'm looking to have each drm self close upon launching of another drm though. This game is really giving me good vibes though. Can't wait to hear more about it

4. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Unfortunately it's all about the money.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Have either of those bought exclusive rights nearly last minute as the game was primed to release on another platform? It being exclusive isn't an issue. As mentioned before, their underhanded tactics are sleezy and the launcher is utter garbage. The 2 you mentioned are hardware platforms. In my eyes it makes more sense to have 2nd/3rd party exclusivity.. But it's not like they cut it out from under Xbox at the last possible second.

5. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    jesus christ, another epic store game. hard pass for me.

6. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's not quite the same. PS4 and Switch have hardware exclusives, Epic has exclusives locked behind software. So essentially they're PC exclusives that a number of PC owners behind a region lock can't play.

Epic will learn eventually that inconveniencing customers just loses you money in the long run. Metro: Exodus was pirated over 100k times in just a couple days after its release.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 14, 2019
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, I was sold until I saw that. One can only hope that, if the EGS fails hard, Steam will not only do their best to stand out, but also establish total dominance and control in a way the other services haven't. *cough* Steam Proton, which I'll hopefully be able to FINALLY try when the last two parts of my resurrection PC build come in!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem

Xzi likes this.
  8. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Damnit! It looks beautiful. Too bad it's EPIC games. They're really enticing people to get on their platform, huh.