Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot_2012-05-08-05-26-58-540x337.jpg

Solo dev Brad Gearon is porting the popular 2D Terraria to the android platform, though is having problems trying to get in touch with the makers of the game, Re-Logic, too see about having permission to release the port.
"The short answer is no, I do not yet have permission. I have reached out to Re-Logic and the Terraria development team through multiple channels on multiple occasions and have not yet received a response. If anyone can help me with this, by all means please get in touch with me so I can get this on Google Play sooner rather than later."

Brad Gearon's Blog

The Indie Game Magazine News Post

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So....
Someone illegally makes a port of a game to Android, with no permission at all. Now that they actually did it, they are wanting permission from someone that had no idea they were even doing this, and it is somehow "news" worthy?

I'm pretty dang sure that Re-Logic is not only going to say no, but also might sue them for doing all this without their permission.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And this was made without Re-logics awareness...?
I would flat-out say no, this isn't cool.

On top of that I don't see the game working very well on a handheld device, it plays optimally with keyboard and mouse for very good reasons...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Seems to me from reading his blog that he is not going to release the game in its current form without permission. So the topic title is misleading.

However, it also appears he is willing to change some things around if he can't get permission. (ala fortresscraft or DScraft)

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So....
Someone illegally makes a port of a game to Android, with no permission at all. Now that they actually did it, they are wanting permission from someone that had no idea they were even doing this, and it is somehow "news" worthy?

I'm pretty dang sure that Re-Logic is not only going to say no, but also might sue them for doing all this without their permission.

There's nothing at all they can sue for. Porting is not illegal, and he's not released anything of it yet. Worst they can do is say no, and he has to leave it at that.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems to me from reading his blog that he is not going to release the game in its current form without permission. So the topic title is misleading.

However, it also appears he is willing to change some things around if he can't get permission. (ala fortresscraft or DScraft)
Ah, got my title from the Indie Game source, I'll ask a mod to change :P

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty interesting hopefully it will support controller. I don't really care if it is an official version a knock off version since the terraria devs quit supporting their game after taking in so much money.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Given that the game uses .NET and that's not available natively on Android, I'm curious as to what he's separated and rewritten. AFAIK even some core parts of the game engine (HP, coordinates/physics) were using .NET managed code.

This is pretty interesting hopefully it will support controller. I don't really care if it is an official version a knock off version since the terraria devs quit supporting their game after taking in so much money.
And Nintendo stops supporting every Zelda game after taking in so much money.

And Game Freak stops supporting every Pokemon game after taking in so much money.

And Square stops supporting every Kingdom Hearts game after taking in so much money.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Given that the game uses .NET and that's not available natively on Android, I'm curious as to what he's separated and rewritten. AFAIK even some core parts of the game engine (HP, coordinates/physics) were using .NET managed code.

And Nintendo stops supporting every Zelda game after taking in so much money.

And Game Freak stops supporting every Pokemon game after taking in so much money.

And Square stops supporting every Kingdom Hearts game after taking in so much money.

The terraria devs talked about how the game would be constantly changing and how if someone didn't like it they should check back later because it would be much different. One of the main reasons people liked it at first was the constant patches adding and changing things similar to the rapid changes in minecraft.

I don't really have a problem with a developer stopping support but it went against what they said they had planned for the game.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So....

its not illegal he did this in his spare time as a project. he is doing the right thing by asking for permission before he releases anything. please stop thinking you know everything.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft doesn't work on touchscreen but this one has a better chance of working well. Would be nice to get an official version but port would do...though this game has already eaten enough of my time.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't see this working out on most Android phones anyway. The game takes a lot of processing power on computers to load and remember all of the random encounter ratios, then on top of that, how would you work in the online multi-player? Now, if he managed to get a nice work around for those issues, THEN I'll be 15% excited. I love the game though, and I happen to find it a little more attractive than Minecraft.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Honestly, I don't see this working out on most Android phones anyway. The game takes a lot of processing power on computers to load and remember all of the random encounter ratios, then on top of that, how would you work in the online multi-player? Now, if he managed to get a nice work around for those issues, THEN I'll be 15% excited. I love the game though, and I happen to find it a little more attractive than Minecraft.
well... its a port... you.... optimise things....

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The game got 10 updates, one of which added a lot to the combat system and another of which almost doubled the content (adding in a second game mode). For a $10 game.

I just think it's fucking retarded that people are so angry over a $10 game that already gave so damn much not giving any more, while paying $60 for games that get nothing at all after release.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game got 10 updates, one of which added a lot to the combat system and another of which almost doubled the content (adding in a second game mode). For a $10 game.

I just think it's fucking retarded that people are so angry over a $10 game that already gave so damn much not giving any more, while paying $60 for games that get nothing at all after release.
Exactly, its not like the game is broken or anything.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And this was made without Re-logics awareness...?
I would flat-out say no, this isn't cool.

On top of that I don't see the game working very well on a handheld device, it plays optimally with keyboard and mouse for very good reasons...
He contacted them numerous times, they just didn't bother to respond, most likely thinking that he's full of it and won't manage anyways. As for the necessity of a keyboard+mouse setup, all I have to say is "touchscreen, homie". :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1